02J short shift

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by daveslp, Feb 11, 2011.

1. daveslp Forum Member

Hows things lads,

Been thinking about doing something to shorten the shift a bit, just wondering what people have done and how do they rate it. Has any one made theyre own?

Seems to be two methods, either the shifter mechanism within the car or on the gearbox.
    The TT gearbox weight is supposed to be shorter...by much? What model TT? Are they all the same across all engine codes of mk2 TT?

What about this on ebay- dirt cheap, anyone tried one?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK4-B...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b4b91134

Any one made theyre own?

Thanks very much for any info.

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The TT short shifter reduces forward an back thow by about 20% I think. Cost about 23 from audi. Part no is 8N0 711 046.

Comes like this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I have the above setup and it is very short! Might even be a little too short for me. Somthing to get used to I think.

4. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

I also have TT shift and it is definately a good upgrade
    modern feeling cable change setup

5. daveslp Forum Member

Fantastic lads, sounds exactly what I'm after. And at that price it can't be beaten.

Thanks to all of Ye

6. thegave Forum Member

Is the TT shift shorter than the MK4 GTI?

7. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

yes so u better ring up TSR ;)

8. thegave Forum Member

Too late. Damnit they said it was the same!

Well I'll just do it myself, excuse to get my hands dirty.

9. jimk04 Forum Member

So that factory casting for a TT gives a shorter throw than some other factory set ups....interseting.

Wander if it would shorten my pending mk5 02S setup?

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I wonder if that would give some space between shifter and coolant hoses?

Is it actually smaller?

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It's only the cable connector that is moved inboard closer to the centre shaft. It's not physically smaller.

12. thegave Forum Member

Let us know what you think of it once it's in and running.

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Won't be for a while yet. But have read that it's the best mods people have done on mk4's

14. jimk04 Forum Member

Does anyone have one of these to hand to measure the fulcrum distance.

I have just measured my 02S one and it is 70mm from centre of spline to centre of pin.

15. idlirp Forum Member

question: will the TT short shifter work on a 02A with customed 02J style cables?

16. thegave Forum Member

I have swapped it now and it is fantastic. Definitely not too short but noticeably softer and for some peculiar reason the whole shift setup now feels a lot tighter and more precise.

I'm going to put this down to the new shifter and not contemplate the other, more obvious explanations =/

I don't think it's going to work on an 02A tower no, but if you have 02J cables then it sounds like the tower is 02J, in which case it would.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  17. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Just finished installing the 02J shifter and TT setup to my MK3 on Monday. At first I thought it was far too short in addition it was very stiff and notchy and as such I initially wasn't convinced I had made the right decision. [xx(] However it's loosening off nicely now. :thumbup: Gearstick is rather tall in a Mk3 but if using the TT lever I'd recommend against shortening the gearstick as the throw is pretty short.

Mod required to fit MK3 mounting:
    [​IMG]

Checking it all works prior to ripping the old tat out the car:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
  18. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Mine is really short and notchy too but i have done 0 miles since install so i think it will take a few miles for the oil to lube up the tower in the gearbox and let it all run free.
    I hope it does anyway as it feels like it doesnt go quite into gear but it does, Just have to come off the clutch a bit slowly.

19. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Thats exactly how mine felt Mat - like it wasnt in gear and I would keep expecting the synchros to buzz and at first I was very tentative with the clutch and I kept thinking 'oh dear... this doesn't feel right at all!' Had the cables disconnected and checked for binding in the tower/cables and readjusted oh... at least twice but couldn't find anything wrong so I went with it. Like I said though- it's now beginning to feel smoother and more positive in action and my confidence is building. Just need to keep remembering that 2nd to 3rd can't be rushed.

I don't know what other poeples thoughts are on this but if you look at the path the gearbox oil has to travel to the top tower bearing - though the gap between the bottom metal sealing 'cup' and shifter rod, then through the plastic ring with the little holes around the cirumference then though the little hole in the side of the gate mechanism (or over the top) it's no wonder the top bearing dries up and succumb to rust. As such I've taken a gamble and jammed the bearing and the inside of the gate mechanism (housing with the points running down the face that clicks across the sprung ball bearing) with grease and will probably check it periodically.

20. jimk04 Forum Member

GOt my 02s mk2 up and running, with the TT short shift and I also did a home made bit for the other cable.

Once adjusted up its great!