02K gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by danster, Jul 8, 2010.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah knew about the mk3 one, just wasn't sure what the mk4 looks like :)

2. TrackCab16v Forum Member

just got one of these o2k gear boxs in my mk4 sdi , its dieing rather rapidly, gona take it out next week and have a look , any one know the gear box code , is the code the same on the skoda sdi, they seem a bit cheaper on the second hand market . might try and get the clutch lightened and balanced, . my chip man recons he can sqeeze 20 brake from the ecu, might help the dismal acceleration,

3. theboymike Forum Junkie

Interesting thread :thumbup:

So it seems like the 02K box can potentially provide a means of using 020 gearsets on a small block engine; either through using the 02K bellhousing / casing on the 020 box or putting the 020 guts into the complete 02K casing..

Unfortunately I think these boxes have an appalling reputation for reliability (IIRC the dreaded Polo 6N2 box is an 02K) however it appears that this is due to the - especially weak - diff rivots shearing, which we all know could be avoided by installing bolts. If the rest of the box is essentially an 020 I can't see any other reason why it'd have a problem with the torque from the 1.6 Polo Gti lump.

So ultimately a rebuilt 020/02K hybrid could be the best bet for a pokey small block engined Mk2..?

4. danster Forum Addict

Here are some 02K pics showing various details including the dual bellhousing bolt patterns for small and large block, hydro clutch setup, and differing 5th gear casing from the 020 box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Good un Danny!:thumbup:

The bellhousing looks great for small block conversions to 020!:clap:

It would be interesting to use the rear casing for a hydraulic conversion. But:

The rear casing has no upper lugs, for the chassis mounting bracket!:o

How does it mount to the chassis/sub-frame?[:s]

This Swedish company make uprated 02Ks

http://www.hellsten-o.se/Newgearboxes02K.php

But, it has a cable clutch!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  6. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like they're taking good 02k boxes and swapping the casings around to use the clutch cable.
    I know they are marketing these as uprated, but the only real difference is going to be a bolted diff, and the dual synchros.
    I'd like to know how long a bolted diff will last from new, over the std rivet design. After 100k of hard use I'd say the bolt will have a definate shear point just like the rivets when taken out for examination.

What sort of price is an 02k worth from a scrappy then? Could be worth looking into if people want to retain 020 rod boxes with the advantage of having newer internals and a better synchro setup.

7. Hotgolf

Just to add that looks like an early 5th gear housing in their pic of an 02k, plus they've left the reverse gear support bolt out too, shocking lol

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice.

Next question: did they ever adapt the 02K to 6-speed?

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

on the mk2+ the bolt holes for the upper mount arm on the end casing arnt necessary. you sometimes see the mk2/3 without this arm, just with the alloy bracket on the diff. with the mk1 you cant really use this box as even if you swapped the end casing over there would be no mount fr the clutch cable. you would have to change the whole middle part of the casing, which tbh is probably more of a pain than just making a 5 speed smallblock mount :(

edit: duh, the clutch cable mount IS there! so thatys good news for the MK1 owners then :thumbup:

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  10. theboymike Forum Junkie

Top stuff Danster :clap:

:thumbup:

I noticed that link on my travels too; however I have my suspicions from the text and pictures that they're sourcing their rebuilt boxes from eurospec although I might be wrong.

I'd have thought the fitting of bolts would make the diff problem a non-issue since they should be a lot stronger than rivots..

I think some can be quite pricey as there's a good second hand market on account of their predispostion to fail at the synchros and diff bolts. That said, I suspect a knackered box could be had for vary little and pillaged for any remaining intact bits.

AFAIK the vast majority of 6 speed boxes are 02A; the only other 6spd I can think of is the Lupo Gti item; pricey, and not widely available. I'll endeavour to find out a bit more about it..

11. Hotgolf

The rivets from the factory are actually pretty strong, although the grade isn't known.
    The problem with them is the 100k miles on the boxes that are being thrashed, so somethings gotta give. The rivets also act as a 'fitted' bolt through it's whole length going through the diff and crownwheel as they've been riveted into position, where as the bolts are only spressed into the diff.
    The shoulder of the bolt on an 020 doesn't enter the crownwheel. This leaves a void between the thread and crownwheel, this itself will create a shear point once the crownwheel twists on the diff through years of use. This impact is what will make the bolt fail, plus this area is also narrower than the main shank in the diff, so inherently weaker.
    The main part of the rivet that fails is the tophat piece that prevents the diff pin from popping out if the circlip fails. I've not seen a circlip fail in this position yet, but the tophats are the bits that fall off.
    Also, I've not actually seen a set of 8 rivets fail. They all have shear points and 'steps' in the shank when they are pressed out, but they don't shear in half allowing the crownwheel to spin, it's always the top hat the falls off.

So, with this in mind would the bolts really be a a non-issue in the future? We'll probably never know. I'm not sure many people now would be doing 100k on an 020 lol

12. einarborg1 Forum Member

Sorry if Im hijacking the thread but can you swap out the 02k box for a 02j box, I ask as my buddy has a shot 02k box and I have a 02j box in my garage colecting dust

Is it a simpil mater of a maching flywheel and cluch from the 02j and just swaping it in?

13. danster Forum Addict

The 02K and 02J are very different boxes. One is rod change and one cable, the flywheel and clutch designs differ, the drive shaft output flanges on the 02K could be 90mm, there is no option for this size on an 02J. Mounting brackets are different to.
    I would suggest it is not possible without extensive work.

14. einarborg1 Forum Member

Ok thanks for the info

15. danster Forum Addict

Just for reference. The 02K is a later box than the 020. This made me wonder if the crown wheel ID was the same as the early boxes (109mm), or was possibly the same as the mk2 16v 2Y that used a larger dimension (111m).

On inspection it measured 109mm. So sourcing an FD from an 02K box would mean the use of an 8v std diff or LSD.
    This box utilised bolt in output flanges which are a lot easier to deal with than the older circlip design of retention.
    The box I stripped had 90mm inner CVs, whether 100mm inner CVs were an option I am not sure. Possibly the likes of the Skoda Octavia diesel that uses an 02K would have the larger size.
    Ekta check anyone?

16. SPITZE New Member

Hi Danster
    Iirc ERW code box has the 100mm flanges , identical internally to DUU code boxes except for flanges. Here in S.A we use the DUU internals from our 1.6 Golf4. AKL/AEH 'boxes very effectively for quartermile drags. I'm planning a ACD with 4.25 diff out of an O2K I managed to source.

17. danster Forum Addict

That's good to know SPITZE. :thumbup:
    The 02K 100mm bolt in drive flanges could be used in an 020 build to save having the joys of using the circlip and oil blanking plug to retain the older type drive flanges.
    I have a 4.25 FD 02K here. The one I stripped in the pics had a 3.94 FD.

18. SPITZE New Member

Hi
    Guys what's u guys opinion on using ACD/2Y ratios with a 4.25 diff? Maybe with a .80 5th gear?

19. danster Forum Addict

20. murph81 Forum Member

Has anybody seen these boxes give trouble with the clutch lever and release bearing arrangement?

I have an Octavia here and it's after blowing the clutch slave cylinder due to some issue with the clutch lever.