02M into a MK2.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Savagesam, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My next upgrade for Golfie is a new gearbox with LSD.

I was driving an Audi A3, 1.9 TDI and cruising down the motorway and see it's got 6 gears, which got me thinking. This box was geared horribly so would be no good in my golf but I'm sure there are other codes with better ratios.

What would I need to fit it in my MK2? I'm assuming, 100mm drive flanges, and different front and gearbox mount.

My car is running widetrack if that makes any difference?

2. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

I am considering this for a mk2 tdi, I will be most likely to use the three standard mk4 mounts which will require fabrication on each. Hopefully getting the engine/box centred between the driving wheels.

Main reason I have not decided for sure is due to the extra weight of 02m over an 02j

3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That's something I'm worried about, weight. I've driven my dad's 02j and you won't be running out of gears/speed in the country that's for sure. It cruises low in 5th, and is still nippy in the gears.

It looks like it's the more logical option. I can see it needing a lot of fabrication for the mounts and then the hydraulic clutch etc too. I don't know if I can be bothered

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

02m is a fair bit of work, custom mounts, subframe needs cutting up and rewelding, custom shafts, need electronic speedo or some kind of adaptor for mk2 clocks etc.

have a word with hotgolf about an 02S, straight fit once worked on with the right hands as its an 02J with 1 more gear selotaped on the end :)

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

02M is a much heavier gearbox with heavier gears that carry a inertia penalty.

Best to stick with a 5 speed 02J unless you have real reason to run a 6 speed.