1.3 mk1 golf

Discussion in '8-valve' started by SSSmk1, Jan 29, 2005.

1. SSSmk1 Forum Member

hello, what can i do to make my 1.3 carb engine a little faster without insurance finding out? e.g cam shafts etc.

cant change engine im only 18 and insurance already very hard on me!!!

any help would be great thanks

2. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

weber carb,

tim

3. GT

GT Forum Member

Performance manifold ;)

4. SSSmk1 Forum Member

im not to good when it comes to upgrding engines so sorry for any stupid questions.

what car would a webber carb come off and is it easy to fit?

thanks

5. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

so long as the carb has the correct manifold adapter plate then it will bolt strait on,

not sure on which carb you require though, i have a weber 32/34 DMTL on my mk2 1.8 driver, which can also be used on the 1.6 driver, not sure about the 1.3, obviously needs to be fitted and adjusted, (jetted etc) for your engine, so dont forget about that cost,

i picked mine up from a scrappy for 30, it was nearly new! but new you are looking at near 200!

tim

6. SSSmk1 Forum Member

thanks tim i dont want to spend too much but i also know it not cheap either. i gonna do more research on the webber carb and see which one i can bolt straight on. what sort of extra performance would that give me and would u know of any other bits i could upgrade?

cheers

7. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

the cab will give you around 10hp, and also improve coldstart and reliability,

give it a good service, that will help things

cam, exhaust,

8. greg s Forum Member

Boll[/i]ocks.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Seconded.

10. Unknown Forum Junkie

Thirded.

However there isnt too much you can do to get lots more go out of the 1.3, getting it set up well with fresh service items like plugs, leads and cap etc. and a fresh standard airfilter will get the best out of it. They arent that bad when 'on song'
    If you spot a MK3 polo GT in a breakers then grab the engine, its still a 1.3 but higher compression and different camshaft profiles give it 75bhp!

11. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

ok maybe not for a 1.3 but it did on mine, had it rolling roaded before and after it was fitted and it gave me 9hp more,

tim

12. greg s Forum Member

Polo GT and possibly mk1 1.3 Formel E parts are the way to go. Higher
    compression, hotter cams, etc. There's a twin sidedraft manifold available
    for the 1.3 too. I've heard of a German 1.3 8v running close to 1.8 8v GTI
    figures - 110bhp or so. There's quite a lot of potential from the 1.3
    engines but I wouldn't personally bother.

13. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Take the inlet manifold from an 1272 HK code engined mk2 polo or golf and then use the twin choke 32 dmtr weber - good for about 70hp. My mk2 polo coupe s was pretty nippy with this setup.

14. domma Forum Member

Thats funny guys,

I stopped driving around in my Mk1 1.3 Driver due to the fact it went like a bag of Cack and it has a brand new Webber on it. Its now parked up and waiting for the Body sw*p into my 2.0ltr mk1 Gti but i was appaulled at how underpowered it drove.

i now have a 309 1.3 run around and its got more balls than the Golf ever promised with a tune up!

If its a 1.3 go for show not go!

Domma...........

15. Unknown Forum Junkie

never said it was going to scare evos.... they should put up a decent show against the 309 1.3 though, maybe it needed sorting out properly. I do dissagree on the show not go thing though, they can go round corners as well as the gti if you swap a couple of things, great for downhill corners and makes them about 10 times more fun than the 309 for example which I always found to be a little slack at the tiller. Your right in the 2.0 conversion though, perked my 1.3 up a little.

16. mark25 Forum Junkie

The electronic ignition of a post 86 model VW will help.

17. Admin Guest

:clap: :clap: :clap:

forget performance, you'll never make a 1.3 that good, so save your money. Just give it a good service etc.

18. domma Forum Member

UnKnown!

The problem with "Downhill Corners" is that they are always going to be followed with "Uphill Straights" and in a 20year old 1.3 they aint no fun!

Sorry if i gave the impression that i was happy with driving around in a 1.3 309 mate. Its not a replacment to any VW i'd like to own.Till the project is done its my A to B ride and used for ferrying dirty oily Mk1 parts around from verious scrappy's.

It lolops like hell around corners but after years of cut springs on my Mk1, speed humps are a pleasure mate i can tell you. ;)

cheersDomma....

19. Unknown Forum Junkie

your right about the uphill bits :lol:. The best bit of the average French motor is ability to waste every other car (including 4x4 things) on speedhumps [:D]

back to Mar25's post, there was a long post with plenty of info on this from Oddball. He's converted his 1.3 polo to electronic ignition using SEAT or Saab bits I think....

20. SSSmk1 Forum Member

i dont want it to run too much faster but for it to be a little more nippy then it is.

is there a performance cam i can buy for this engine or am i really just better of going for a 1.3GT?

thanks