1.6 EZ Timing

Discussion in '8-valve' started by topnotch, Mar 11, 2023.

1. topnotch Forum Member

Hi,

I changed the cam belt on our 1.6 Driver EZ code today.

I made sure that the new belt went on exactly the same as the old. Before it started and idled nice and smooth, but nice it feels a little lumpy on idle.

I checked the timing marks on the flywheel and at idle with the vac disconnected, it’s just to left of the timing mark in this pic. I can’t see any diamond marks or anything which is odd, but the mark in the pic sits directly between the 2 big lugs which stick out of the flywheel.

For an EZ what should I be setting the timing to?

Also - the notch on the crank pulley- should that align exactly with the edge of the intermediate gear? Before I started, with the dot on the inner cam sprocket aligned with the edge of the head, the crank notch was maybe 10-15mm away from the edge of the intermediate shaft which did make me wonder if it was a tooth out before i started (although it did run nicely).

Thanks Mike

Attached Files:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

when you have that punch mark lined up does the crank pulley mark line up and is cylinder 1 at TDC? shine a torch down the bore and watch as you rotate the crank you'll soon see. the bigger diamond on these is set to 18 degrees BTDC would be at 6 degrees.

if you dont have a mark and are happy you have found the TDC mark on flywheel you can measure your own marker, bit fiddly with it fitted to car but doable. I snapped a ruler tied to a piece of string and dropped down the hole. you'll have to do make several marks as you rotate the flywheel round to get to 18 degrees unfortunately as you cant see both down the hole like you can in a GTI :lol:

tdcmark.jpg

Or if you can get hold of a timing light with advance wheel built in that'll save you a fair bit of hassle. tbh the mark is only for base reference, you can dial in a fair bit more advance if you use decent fuel though saying that with the 1.6 probably not a huge amount to be gained

erreesse likes this.
  3. topnotch Forum Member

Thanks - I ended up doing exactly what you said - finding tdc using the piston top. That pointed me at the mark I found to confirm it was tdc
    I then found the notch which I could barey see a bit further round the flywheel.
    Set the timing and it was spot on- but I found the problem - I must’ve dropped or knocked a spark plug when I had them out and one had it’s electrode completely closed up so wasn’t firing other one. Set it correctly and have also replaced the hydraulic lifters and the engine is quiet and smooth and better than I’ve ever heard it
    Now o know how to do the job easily, could be tempted to look at different cams!!

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

great stuff :)

the usual route is GTI cam and Kjet dizzy, should perk it up nice. can fit full GTI exhaust on too just doing that alone made a noticeable difference to mine