1.6 Head/1.8 Block HELP

Discussion in 'Engines' started by davegt2, Mar 15, 2007.

1. davegt2 New Member

I have had to change my cylinder head on my 1990 1.8 mk2 GT11(EX 90BHP) as water channels were rotten very close to bores, and had available a 1.6 head from an MK2 1988 1.6CL(EV 75BHP) Golf which when compared looked the same, and rightly/wrongly I decieded to use.

Now I have high compression on every bore, and the engine turns ok with no spark plugs in however when I turn it over with plugs in, it turns over very slowly and stops for a second before turning over again and repeats this as if something is catching/seized.

Now have I made a very grave mistake in putting the 1.6 head on or can 1.6 heads be put on a 1.8 block. I have looked on auto data and the compression ratio for a 1.8 is 1:10,0 and a 1.6 is 1:9,0.

In a bit of a pickle at the moment in how to progress.

Thanks all

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

is it just "pressure" or does it feel like a mechanical blocking? Sounds like a very high compression issue?

3. davegt2 New Member

I think it is down to the pressure, around 150psi on each bore I think.

I know the valves are the same size and I am presuming the cast of the head is more or less the same. Just wondering if the cam is different. Think I might try putting the 1.8 cam in the head.

I know peeps on here have said a 1.6 driver head has been fitted to a 1.8 block but I dont know about a 1.6cl

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

MK2 1.6 & 1.8 carb heads are exactly the same regardles of its a CL, GL or Driver, maybe the hydro lifters have locked up?

But it's worth noting that it will indeed be hard to turn an engine over with the spark plugs in, as you're fighting against the compression in each cylinder ;)

Edit: Well early heads will have solid lifters, and later ones will be hydro, but they'll still swap over fine regardless.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  5. Procarmove New Member

Rubjonny
    Although this thread is old it was a great read and very relevant.
    If I may ask a question.
    I have a 1.6 golf on stock carb with a snapped off spark plug. I also have a 1.8 complete engine sat on a pallet.
    Could you just confirm that I can put 1.8 head on 1.6 engine please??
    Many thanks in advance

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep will swap straight over. If both engines are carb, nothing else to do. if the 1,.8 is a gti then you need to block the injector holes and if you plan to use the original 2e2 carb on it need to drill a hole in the rear of the head for the coolant channel. some gti heads have a vacuum port here so this is not possible