1.6 NA diesel multiple problems

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by 93Ford, Apr 30, 2022.

1. 93Ford New Member

So i just bought this 1985 VW jetta with the 1.6 na diesel and it has an incredible crank pulley wobble if i had to guess it looks like it moves 1/4 to 1/2 in side to side. Could it just be badly bent or is it something more serious. It starts right up but it doesnt want to idle very well. After letting it warm up after a bit the idle improves but it still seems easy to stall.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Take it off and see if the rubber has delaminated?

AndyBa likes this.
  3. 93Ford New Member

I got to work on it today and upon closer inspection theres only an 1/8 in of wobble, i guess it just looks worse when turning fast. I cant shake the crank pulley at all there is no play whatsoever if it was delaminated I should be able to get some movement right? The water pump pulley is straight and no play so i used it as a guide against the crank pulley and when turning the engine over by hand theres only about 1/8 in of wobble. It looks like the v belt pulley is seperate from the rest it looks like if i just remove the 4 bolts itll come off is that right? Should i use new bolts with blue loctite when putting them back in whats the torque specs.

4. 93Ford New Member

When i was removing the v belts and stuff i noticed the ac compressor was just wobbling there i figured thats why the belt was so loose and after romving the alternator to get a better look there was no bolts at all holding the compressor on it was just sitting there. Anybody know what size those bolts are looks like there is one up top and one on the bottom i need both sizes. The one that goes to the alternator was there but that was the only one.

5. 93Ford New Member

I also took a good look at the timing belt and it doesnt look very old. There are no cracks in the belt the rubber feels nice and it has just over 45 degrees of play in it so it seems like i shouldnt worry about it.

6. 93Ford New Member

I dont know how much the whole engine should move but when i was testing for play in the pulley i was actually lifting the entire front of the motor so im guesing the mounts are totally shot and should be replaced

7. Tristan

AC would be almost unheard of over this side of the Atlantic, on an older Golf.
    Crank puullet should be pretty solid tbh.

8. 93Ford New Member

Alright so you don't think the crank pulley is anything to worry about. I still might replace it as I can see it making belts wear faster. Yea it seems the AC bracket and hardware is near impossible to find. I started thinking of just deleting it but I couldn't find the alternator brackets either

9. 93Ford New Member

Does anybody know the part number for the v belt crank pulley. Should i use new bolts. Blue or red loctite or neither. Whats the torque spec.

10. Tristan

No, there should not be any discernible wobble in the crank pulley. None at all.

I'd replace the timing belt for peace of mind if it was mine.

11. 93Ford New Member

I think the timing belt will be fine for a little while. I need to get all the other problems fixed first

12. 93Ford New Member

Ok, so i managed to get the pulley off and there is no harmonic balancer. The pulley just bolts to the timing belt gear. The pulley is definetly bent so ill try to straighten it but more than likley ill need a new one. Does anybody know a part number. Should i use some loctite on the bolts. Can i replace the hex cap screws with just a socket head bolt with a washer.

13. 93Ford New Member

will a pulley from a gas engine of that year work i cant seem to find any pulleys anywhere. I did find some new ones straight from vw but there 100$ which seems crazy for what it is

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the pulley should have a part number on it, there are a couple out ther.e think diesel ones differ slightly different offset?

15. 93Ford New Member

I checked and I think the part number has rusted away as I can't find it

16. rubjonny

17. 93Ford New Member

yea thats the one. I did manage to straighten out mine so ill see if it runs straight enough otherwise ill have to get a new one.

18. rubjonny

cool you should be alright then as its a simple pressed metal pulley rather than the rubber damped units