1.8 8v Wiring

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by James Burke, Jun 10, 2020.

1. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,
    Could anyone point Me in direction Of a picture/video for the under bonnet wiring, just about to put the engine back into a 1988 rebuild- COVID project Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

once you drop the engine and loom in you'll find it mostly just fits where it should go, any queries justy pop pics up on here and we can ID for you :)

3. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Super -Thanks, I will be back with pictures ;)

4. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Got the engine in and wont start, we have petrol in the injector manifold, we have spark, firing order correct, fit new injectors as part of the rebuild bout no attempt to fire - 12 hour day and very disappointed !

5. rubjonny

worth a look here:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...ose-and-tune-your-mk2-digifant-gti-8v.124949/

when you switch ignition on do you get a prime from both fuel pumps? unplug the main pump to listen for the lifter pump. double check fuel lines, the black line is the feed which goes to the plastic fuel rail nipple, blue is return to the metal fuel pressure regulator.

do the spark plugs smell of fuel? if not you might have lost injector power, check the spade plugs in the scuttle they can get corrosion build-up. on the rail itself if you test between the red wire and battery negative you should see 12v for a short time ignition on and also while engine is cranking.

fusebox side look for a green/red wire on the engine loom, this needs to plug in to a red/black wire on the big yellow headlight loom plug

6. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Rubjonny, i will get back this evening and see how I go

7. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Rubjonny, we have constant 12v at red wire at the rail itself and the pressure regulator at the manifold is rubbing constantly with ignition, the black red on the yellow block is connected to a brown red both yellow plugs, green red going directly to yellow block, no green red in the engine loam - Thanks

8. rubjonny

if you get fuel pump and injector power on constant with ignition this tells you the ecu is blown, usually because of a poor gearbox earth as the starter then tries to earth thru your ecu and pops a trace inside :(

9. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Lovely - is there a way to test the ECU?

10. rubjonny

first thing I'd open it up, usually the blown trace is pretty obvious. if you have a steady hand often you can solder in a bridge wire to repair the damage :)

11. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Here is mine. Set fire to the car when I took plugs out to crank and empty cylinders of fuel. Disconnect coil!

Attached Files:

12. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Did you keep the ECU - I might be looking for one......

13. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Yes soldered blown track and put it back on the car.
    Make Sure your earth is good. Slow to crank is the clue.

14. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Yes I have slow crank, the Idle air stablizer is running constantly also is that normal?

15. rubjonny

thats normal yes, should buzz with ignition. later mk2 have earth from battery to a stud on the end of one of the bolts holding gearbox to engine which is a better design. the earlier ones earthed to upper box bracket and corrosion builds up between box and bracket due to the differing metals

16. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Cool, thanks gents - I will start with verifying all earth's, mine is old style but all new parts so i will run around them with Multimeter. Check the ECU and fix (hopefully) and then give it a shot. I have petrol and Spark (just not together!) - any other things to check? Hopefully we will make some noise tonight!

17. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

I had to put a diesel jump lead from batt - ve to cylinder head to diagnose. It cranks a lot faster.

18. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks gents, ECU fine, checked all the wiring and tested the Digifant as per workshop manual I found on line, re checked timing and still no fire - it seems not to be drawing in any air through the intake manifold, in fact it is blowing out half combusted petrol smoke - confident on fuel and spark - no air to complete the combustion cycle - thoughts? Thanks

19. rubjonny

double check the timing i recon

20. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Agreed rubjonny - maybe too many cooks in the kitchen last night, i have plugs out and starting from scratch this afternoon