1.8 8v Wiring

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by James Burke, Jun 10, 2020.

1. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

So, I checked everything, timing, electrics and fuel, no fire - very rich smell of fuel, no air —- next stop hydraulic valve followers, should have replaced when head was off - hope when I check the some of the followers are shot from when we was the head and the valves are stuck open or shut,
    Thoughts?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmm not sure on that one. are you sure you have a good spark

3. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Went at it at 5 am this morning! Rocker cover off and noticed the lobes were not in the correct position with Timing mark on the Sprocket, rotated to the correct location and found a different timing mark in the inner side of the Sprocket. Valve followers are ok, so I re set the timing and checked everything as I went through reassembly. Crack bam boom and she fired, not perfect so i have some tuning to do as there are a huge amount of new parts including injectors.
    Many Thanks for all the help - Advice on tuning is gratefully appreciated!

4. rubjonny

ah sounds like sprocket is early type without the outer OT mark, if you have plastic cambelt covers it should have one but somewhere along the way its gone missing. the inner mark is always there and correct thoughso either way this should be checked just to make sure when you have your cam lobes in the right spot. its definitly worth having the cover off if you're unsure about either of the marks as its also possible to fit the sprocket on backwards which means non of the marks will line up :lol:

5. James Burke Paid Member Paid Member

Mine has the pressed steel cam belt cover with the VAG logos, is there a thread that is a good reference from a tune up step by step - Thanks

6. rubjonny

yes the digifant guide I posted on the last page ;)

for the earlier type with pressed steel cover the only mark you use is on the inside, the outer OT mark doesnt apply :)