1.8T BAM Checklist

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Matt_16v, May 26, 2020.

1. Matt_16v New Member

Hi all,

Been doing lots of reading for years on this, now I'm finally doing it myself. I just wanted to run my list by everyone, see if there is anything I've missed, or if anyone can point out anything not quite right. I've got most of it, just trying to find the right engine/gearbox to buy (I know that's a pretty big part to be missing lol, but I'm hoping to get them in the next week)

Car is a 89 Golf 16v (k-jet), CE1.

Engine: 1.8T BAM
    SAI blanking plate from Forge, Cast coolant flanges from Creation Motorsport, Trackslag K04 downpipe. Not sure on what belt to use? I'd like to keep my stock PAS, think I can use my Mk2 pump with a Mk4 pulley? Most seem to have 100-120k on them, no big deal, but is there any work that should definitely be done or checked whilst the engine is out? I was thinking just a new head gasket, maybe new a reconditioning turbo depending what I end up with.

Gearbox: 02J 5 Speed, 100mm cups, 02J Shift Tower and cables

Fly/Clutch: G60 billet flywheel from Darkside and a Sachs VR6 Clutch

Loom: I was going to send this out to one of the Ebay guys or Vagtronics. Am I right in thinking I only need to send the loom/ecu from the donor engine, or will I need to send some parts of my CE1 loom out too? I'd like to keep original clocks, rev counter. Would be great if MFA worked. Also planning on some VDO gauges in ash tray compartment for boost, maybe oil pressure too.

Pedal Box: I know lots of folk go for old Passat boxes but I've picked up a Mk2 pedal box that's been converted to hydro clutch with drive by wire throttle adapter. Not entirely certain which clutch cylinder to use with it?

Engine Mounts:
    Rear - Passat B3 B4 - 357199354
    Front - Passat B3 357199273
    Gearbox - Mk3 Golf 357199353A

Radiator/FMIC:
    Not sure on this, I've seen a kit from Pro Alloy and that looks nice but it is expensive. Downside is can't seem to find any pictures of how it fits. Comes with rad, intercooler and some slimline fans. I'm guessing it'd be that or my 16v rad with a universal type intercooler?

Petrol tank/pump:
    Was thinking of using my original 16v tank and lines, pump etc as it was fairly recently all re done. Unless I'd really be better off with a Mk3 16v tank, although I'm not sure if there's any complications with wiring given the car is CE1?

Heater
    I'd like to keep this working, am I right in thinking as it's just part of the cooling system I just need to figure out which hoses to connect to it?

I'll be using standard Mk2 front cross member, sub frame, A arms and drive shafts.

Thanks all!

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Loom, you’ll need to send your 16v CE1 engine loom too.

16v 5 Bar fuel pump + tank, you’ll be fine.

heater is standard, just run your hoses to it as normal.

I used a Toyo sports universal intercooler and piping on mine, was easy to install, in front of the rad, behind the slam panel.

I’d get Gas N Gears to do your box with an LSD fitted and lightened flywheel.

3. Matt_16v New Member

Thanks for the tips. Do you really think it will need a LSD? I had a feeling I might be better off doing it but wasn’t sure.

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My dad had one in his old car and I didn’t, it was night and day. If I was to do another, it’s the first thing that’ll be fitted!

Matt_16v likes this.
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pas try the mk4 pump first, some versions of them fit fine. if theres no clearance to crossmember swap the mk2 one over with mk4 pump. belt is just standard 20v without a/c. wouldnt bother with head gasket unless you know is bad, do a compression test. other than that replace all the rocker gasket, inlet & exhaust gaskets etc.

as long as the loom builder knows what he is doing the mfa will still work after. make sure you ask for vdo gauges, otherwise you'll have to wire those in yourself. its not hard, but neater if the oil sender wires are included in the engine side at least and run to fusebox for you to tap into.

clutch slave depends on what master was used, if mk2/3/corrado/passat master then use clutch slave and pipe from any of the same donors. if mk4 then need mk4 slave and pipe

engine brackets fine, you can also use part numbers 535199354, 357199354H and 535199354C for the rear

heater matrix if its not been done yet, now is the time. mk3 or early mk4 are the same as mk2. late mk4 also fits but you need the quick release couplers to match the outlets

Matt_16v likes this.
  6. Matt_16v New Member

Thanks, handy to know. Did the heater matrix a few months ago (again!!) Glad I’ve not missed anything off.

Just a couple of bits then it’s wooshy wooshy time [:D]

7. jshep73 Forum Member

Hello Matt
    Your list is a great start but there are many things you will come across! I am doing the conversion at the moment and off the top of my head, things you haven't mentioned; upgraded turbo intake pipe, charge pipe, various pipes, MAP sensor housing, mk3 fuel tank and lines, service items, cambelt kit, waterpump, immobiliser delete, short brake master cylinder and reservoir, cone air filter...
    But don't let this put you off! Just make a start and sort problems as you find them.
    Good luck

Matt_16v likes this.
  8. vwenterprise New Member

Ok,

Ok, you have clearly done your research.
    Use MK2 steering pump. Can be left on car and retain all fluid, just pulley to swap.
    BAM engines don't have SAI so blank not needed.
    Those cast housings are crap, they tend not to fit well and leak after a time. OEM parts will do 100000 miles without issue.
    A must is timing belt kit and water pump change. New thermostat too.
    New water temp sensor.
    Alternator belt is 6pk 1120.
    Hydraulic clutch setup would need you to post pictures to help.
    16v Radiator and 65mm thick universal intercooler.
    1 X 12inch rad fan.
    Heater hoses are very close to where they need to be. Just remove OEM fittings from engine.
    MK2 K-jet tank and pumps are fine.
    What you need to send for wiring will be down to the person doing work if staying OEM.
    If you are staying OEM, you will need all sensors on engine and OEM MAP sensor installed in boost pipe near throttle body.
    1.3 MK2 Speedo cable for stock cluster.
    Will need an exhaust system to connect to track slag.
    Head gasket are metal and not known for going unless badly corroded.
    Cam cover gasket is a known leaky item, replace.
    Brake master cylinder will need changing for a Seat Ibiza/ Ford Focus item for acceptable clearance near cam cover, mods will need doing to said MC. Slightly better pedal too!

Link to one of many that I've built:
    http://www.vwenterprise.co.uk/portfolio/mattys-mk2/

Hope this helps.

Darren

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Matt_16v likes this.
  9. Matt_16v New Member

Thanks for those extra bits. Definitely some extra stuff I need to consider.

@jshep73 I’ll have to keep an eye on your thread, see what info I can nick [:D]

@vwenterprise Bay looks great. What charge pipe is that? Are those silicone hoses custom made or a kit?