1.8T to 2.0T Coil Pack Conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Richard Mk2, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Ive been reading about this in the latest PVW magazine this month, and im just wondering if anyone is using these or think they are worth the hassle ?

Smother idle and better performance are the real gains which people are experiencing, as the 2.0T coils are supposed to run a hotter spark ?

Also, are the 2.0T coils more reliable compared to the later 1.8T ones, as (we all know) they dont seem to last like the earlier bomb proof AGU ones.

PSI tuning have also made adapters which allow you to use these coils -

[​IMG]

Is this really worth the hassle ?

Discussion <<<

:thumbup:

dUff likes this.
  2. Sixteen VT Forum Member

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Why not stick to arz ones, thats even less hassle

4. Richard Mk2

Thats true Matt. :thumbup:

I think its down to the "supposed" smoother ride and performance from the 2.0T ones, yet to be tested on here ?

Personally though, i dont think there would be much of a gain from these, especially performance wise. Next time my AUM coils need replacing i might think about going for the bolt down ARZ ones. Iirc, they are bullet proof like the early AGU coilpacks ?

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

I had a couple original ones at 180k lol

I'd need to try them to see if there was a performance gain, I wouldn't bet on it though

6. priceygti Forum Member

I have these ordered from PSI tuning with the adapters just waiting on delivery and completion of my conversion to find the use from them, as Richard has said a smoother idle and smother rev range is the main gain from fitting these but in retrospect i don't think everyone will notice the difference from swapping over to these coil packs apart from being more reliable and not needing replacing all the time.

Cheers
    Mark

7. priceygti Forum Member

Having gone onto VWVortex to look at some other info i have just found the following regarding the coil conversion.

If i find anything else i will add it up here

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  8. Mick34123 Forum Member

I have the 2.0t coils on my aum, no need for the adapters as they go in kind of slanted so they jam against the rocker cover so no pop ups:) would look :)a lot better with the adapters in place though, only thing I find better is that they are far more reliable, my car hates the small gaps needed to run single point plugs so I run super 4s which could be why I've noticed nothing, great upgrade though definately a must if your coils just keep going

9. Richard Mk2

Would like to hear your feedback from these Mark :thumbup:

@ Mick34123 - If there isn't much to gain from these, i think the ARZ bolt down coils would be a suitable and reliable setup.

We'll have to see some more feedback on these and see what gains are had. :thumbup:

10. dsj20v Forum Member

Anyone 1 part number for arz ones as I believe there are a couple of diff bolt down coilpacks

11. priceygti Forum Member

Rich - i will let you know once i have them delivered and the car up and running

dsj20v - any of the coil's i have given part numbers for will work, you just need to order the correct adapters from HERE either late type or bolt down type

Cheers
    Mark

12. Richard Mk2

Nice one. :thumbup:

Would be good to hear some feedback from these!

13. priceygti Forum Member

just a quick update on this.

Having been waiting for my adapters to turn up from PSI tuning (due to none in the country atm) they have informed me that the 2.0t coilpacks DO NOT fit the early type engines with metal clips on the orignal coilpacks and they are working on making a new coilpack loom as i find out more i will let you know but for now here's a photo of the coilpacks that DO NOT work currently so if you have these and are looking into upgrading hang on a little while.

[​IMG]

Cheers Mark

*edit - take a look at this link for the wiring adapter harness

http://www.intengineering.com/intblog/archives/422

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  14. INA

INA Forum Member

Contact Ade
    PSI should have quite a few kits in stock and whatever they do not have , they can have in 3 buisness days. Also if you have an early AGU or similar DBC 1.8T w/ 3 PIN coil packs. we offer the complete conversion kit. Again contact Ade, he will be able to sort you out.

15. priceygti Forum Member

i have seen your wiring harnesses but imo they are too expensive but i'm not in a desperate rush to fit any coilpacks as yet

16. INA

INA Forum Member

Unfortunately that is what it takes to get the OEM connectors with the gold plated pins to make a quality kit. There is an OEM replacement harness you can get from the dealer for $50 but you are putting the same thing back in.,

17. jaswan Forum Member

if you use the tfsi ones, dont bother with the spacers, mine has been fine withought them, and in my opinion it will keep the coils cooler without them.

Jason.

18. Noo Noo Forum Member

I know someone who has done this on a BAM conversion. Positive results so far but they were having all sorts of coil pack trouble beforehand.

19. foxyjay Forum Member

Gents, i've been looking into this for a few days.

There are literally 10's of different part numbers for the packsand it's a little confusing until you drill-down into the detail of it on the web.

The bottom-line is (it seems) that the stock coil packs are utter crap. I guess most people knew this already?

The favoured upgrade path is to replace your coil pack wiring loom (due to insulation degradation/cracking) and replace the coil packs for higher performance 2.0T versions.

I am looking at acquiring the coil packs cost effectively. My engine is a 2001 BAM

The question still in my mind, is what coil packs to go for.

There are red and black coloured versions for the MkV Golf (and equivalent age vehicle) packs, and there is a different design pack for the MkVI GTi 2.0T.

All of these (again, I believe) will sit higher than the rocker cover when installed, but this can be overcome by either making your own adapters or buying some from PSI / INA / etc.

Plugs will need changing for hotter versions running 0.040 - 0.042 gap, very likely.

Has anyone got experience with the difference between the nominally MkV and MkVI coil packs?

Does the addage "newer must be better" apply here?

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

a lot of the numbers are probably supercessions, for example the 06e number above has been replace 4-5 times. the 06f number above has been superceeded by the 07k number above :)

i can get prices for the various pins and plugs if required, looking into it they use plug 8k0 973 724 which is 1.13+VAT, pins are available with wires pre-attached. not sure what wire size is required but thickest 2.5 with gold contacts is 000 979 242 EA which are 4.03+VAT each. i cant see the pins anywhere on their own unfortunatly