1043cc polo engine loom

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Dave654321, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Dave654321 New Member

Hi I have found 3 separate wires in the box of parts on green and black with a Female spade connector on one side and end looks like a air rifle pellet,a solid purple with Female spade connectors on both sides and a green/white with a small Male spade end would any of these be a resistor wire?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the resistance wire is usually purple/white and comes direct from fusebox to coil, if you have an old engine loom somewhere see if you can spot it? the green/black sounds interesting but I guess its a bullet connector you're describing though it may be some kind of inline resistor perhaps. some models had one of those instead

not sure of the exact values myself as I've never tested one and whenever I get old looms the purple/white goes straight in the bin as I'm usually converting the loom to run something better :lol: Did dig thru a few manuals but couldn't find anything, but found a snippet from VW vortex 'Balast resistor value was 0.9 Ohm, about 10W of rating' so if you choose to use resistance wire it needs to work out roughly the same resistance. The trouble is, you cant pick a wire which is just 0.9ohm resistance, instead the wire has some resistance and how much depends on how long it is. the VW looms have this wire looped back on itself as its a fair bit too long when cut to the right length. Much easier to use a resistor instead of sourcing resistance wire for this reason if you dont have a spare loom to strip apart :)

3. Dave654321 New Member

Unfortunately I don’t have a old loom but I will buy a resistor they cheap on eBay,I took the wires to my cousin today he tested them and they only showing 0.03 residents so not enough but the coil was looking good I’ll try find out what readings it should be as it’s new old stock,thanks for your help much appreciated

4. Dave654321 New Member

I found a white/purple wire on the rats nest of wires I got with the engine but it’s connected to a bulb so that’s not the one I’m looking for lol iv ordered a 1ohm 10w resistor from eBay hope that will be ok will it? It was only £1.50 if not,I’m going to see the bloke I bought the engine from tomorrow he’s been looking for the engine loom as I need the aulternator and starting wires with the plugs on aswell,it’s being quite a headache this little old engine

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

that should do you fine, if not hopefully you can pull a wire out of a donor loom if the guy still has it. worst case I might, possibly, maybe have one as I dod have a ceramic fusebox mk1 loom in a box somewhere, just not surte its electronic or points ignition. let me know and i'll have a look

6. Dave654321 New Member

Hi,unfortunately after the 40 minute drive the loom he had was for his old landrover he was keeping so it was a waste of time but he did give me a old coil that works,is you do have a spare loom that would be great as I can’t find a replacement engine loom so I have no way of wiring the aulternator and stuff without trying to make one so if I could buy yours that would be great,thanks again for your help

7. Dave654321 New Member

Hi do you know anyone in need of a solex 31 pict-7 carburettor I think it’s from a mk1 golf it doesn’t fit my polo intake