10K Boost or engine cleaning products?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by G-Man, Jul 2, 2005.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

10K boost is meant to clean the engine and "restore" engine power. This is the same for other engine cleaners, but at around 20 a pop plus more for initial application, is it worth it at all???

Any one had good/bad experiences with any engine cleaning products? I've heard in some places it can do harm and make engine idle/smoothness worse!

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

you can do the same with a pint of water into the vacumm pipe...yeah really [:D]

works a treat

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

how does that work? just stick the vacumm pipe into a pint of water?? (ionised or plain tap water)

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

i prefer to use volvic sprin water :lol: no tap water is fine

warm the engine and take a vac pipe off near the throttle body closest to the engine...then let the pipe sip the water by dunking the pipe into the water. dont let it slurp the whole lot in one go, you will need to rev the engine to stop it stalling

it works cus the water turns to high pressure steam and cleans pistons/valves

its best to do a oil chage soon after

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

anyone tried and tested this method? thought engines go 'pete tong' with water in them??!?!?!?!

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

pm tsc about it [:D]

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It's an ancient method - people used to trickle water into the top of their carbs to clean out the combustion chambers. I normally use a pint or a litre of water, dunk the tube and hold it at about 3k rpm. I only take the pipe out of the water if the engine starts to really bog down, which rarely happens if you keep your hand on the throttle to keep the revs up. Try it with your exhaust up against a wall, see how much junk comes out on an old engine.....

If you're worried about the engine hydrolocking, think about how much air the engine sucks in at 3k rpm, then think how much water you would need to dump in at once to cause that...... it just isn't a risk....

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

how long does it take to do a pint of water?????

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

About 30 seconds or so...... depends what sort of revs you are running at.

Old thread

11. Jetta Forum Junkie

Anyway to go that to a td? I'm thinking large syringe/lda take off on manafold?

Where would I get a huge syringe?, It wouldnt need a needle.

or screen washer tank/pump to lda take off?

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You'd want to stop the turbo from spinning up first, disconnect the actuator and hold the wastegate open? You could probably do it using a fairy liquid bottle or something, instead of a syringe......

13. Jetta Forum Junkie

Unfortunatly its a kkk turbo thats got one of those pressed in actuators, though I could just put a cone fiter on the manafold inlet, the turbo would spin up but there would be no boost, I think my mate might still have his cone filter lying around (hes fitted it to a rover, xr2 rs2000 and a few others), and probabbly use the washertank/pump off the jetta 1/4 full to pump the water in?

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

For the sake of a couple of minutes I'd just run it without a filter, and spray water straight into the inlet? You could use one of those plant sprayer things so it atomises OK, but when I did it to the scabby merc (non turbo) I just trickled water into the inlet at high revs, blew out so much black shite I could hardly believe it......

15. Jetta Forum Junkie

:lol::lol:

Cheers TSC, will do, I'll do it next time the neighbors are out shopping or something, else I'll get "black looks" over my black clouds and reving the engine.

16. brownbear Forum Member

i dont know where my vacuum pipe is on my mk3 1.4 engine but i need to sort it out. how do i find it anddo it? thanks

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

is it important to carry out an oil change once this has been down???????

18. Jetta Forum Junkie

If it is I think give my car a TSC engine treatment.:)

Water decoke and ATF oil fush, sounds better than an "Italian" tune up, which probabbly wouldnt do a diesel engine any good.

19. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

An Italian tune up actually works a treat on oilers, as they tend to spend most of their lives at low revs. Again the scabby merc had one, and blew clouds of smoke for about a 1/4 of a mile of being held at 5400rpm, then I kept it going like that for a mile or so. The engine was far more responsive after that. You can also chuck ATF in the diesel, helps to clean out the injectors and the rest of the fuel system.
    Most people suggest changing the fuel filter after running a tankful of diesel and ATF, and priming the filter with ATF instead of diesel.....

20. pigbladder Forum Addict

atf worked a treat in my 16v [:D] , tsc do you recon its worth putting a bit in with the petrol [:s]