10k boost

Discussion in 'Engines' started by FABVR6, Mar 2, 2004.

1. FABVR6 Forum Member

what do you guys reckon of this stuff?? has anyone used it? does it really get all the crap out of the engine ?

does it make a difference to the performance ?

many thanks

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Water gets all the crap out of the engine, and doesn't cost 20. Pull a small diameter vacuum line off, rev the engine to about 2500 and dip the end of the tube in a pint of water. Once the water is gone your engine is nice and clean......

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Joe_G Forum Member

Are you serious? I've been wanting to shift some carbon deposits on mine but this seems a little dodgy ...

5. T U C Forum Member

i used some of that 10k boost once. made a lot of smoke, engine seemed to tick over smoother afterwards, and seemed to accelerate smoother but who knows. a lot of cr@p did come out of the exhaust and i've seen it done on a newer car where not a lot of cr@p came out of the exhaust so im assuming it got rid of something nasty. not sure if it was worth 20 but smoking out the road was kinda fun for me :lol:

6. Joe_G Forum Member

Well I've been working on the theory that caning my engine with optimax should clean it out but some more help wouldn't go amiss. It's in mint nick tho I think the previous Passat owner might've pottered it around a bit so it might be a bit clogged. Just hoping to stop it pinking so much in the hot weather.

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Dead serious. Ever seen an engine which has been running with a blown HG, leaking water into the cylinders? Steam cleaned. Do it when the engine is up to running temp and it removes all the crap. Just make sure you use one of the small vacuum lines (like the throttle body-airbox 3mm transparent ones) or you'll suck in too much water, too quickly.

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Here's a page which mentions it, in case you think I'm taking the piss!

9. Joe_G Forum Member

Hmm, I guess I can see it shifting all the oiley crap, tho I can't see it shifting hardened carbon deposits. Might be worth a go tho, Cheers.

Joe

10. Joe_G Forum Member

Well I'll be, now I know where you got the ATF idea from ....

Wouldn't fancy the pour water into the carb approach tho, one slip and Kaboom.

Might give it a go with the line that goes to the diaphragm pressure switch on the airbox.

Joe

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It shifts the carbon deposits primarily, the water flashes into steam and cracks off all the carbon. I've only done it a couple of times myself when an engine was really coked up, but it certainly did the trick!

That wasn't actually where I got the ATF idea from, I think it was actually my uncle that told me about that one....... I just did a quick google search to find a page that mentioned the water injection thing, and it happened to have the ATF one in it as well.... bargain! Bookmarked for the next time people say "Err what? ATF? Don't be daft!" ;) :lol:

12. Jon TDI Forum Member

I don't need any of this 10K Boost stuff. Smoke comes out of my exhaust all day long!!! :p

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

;) :lol: :lol:

14. GTI

GTI Forum Member

[8-}] Madness!!

I really want to give it a go!!

15. Joe_G Forum Member

The only thing that worries me is the fact that all the water is going to be going in through the servo pipe right on one side of the inlet so Clyinder 1 isn't going to see much of it I wouldn't have thought.

Joe

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

No, stick it in through one of the throttle body vacuum connections - that's how I did it. As long as you keep the engine at 2500-3k or so it should end up being at least reasonably atomised.......

17. Tonsk Forum Member

TSC - on a G60 engine, which hose would you select?

18. Joe_G Forum Member

Problem is, there's no vacuum connection on the throttle body on a 16v. Maybe I'll bodge something up, use the ISV connection into the inlet tract maybe?

Use a bit of vacuum pipe into there sealed with gaffer tape maybe.

Joe
    Edited by: Joe_G

19. vrooooom Forum Member

That all sounds mental. Got to admit it should clean the engine out nice. Did a head gasket on my dads volvo that had popped. U never saw piston crowns so clean in your life!! Not to mention the valves!!!

20. smithy Forum Member

Yeah, I can see that working. Its just like steam cleaning. When I rebuilt the head for my 8v, I used a steam cleaner on it and it ripped off all the crap, ended up looking like brand new :)