10k boost

Discussion in 'Engines' started by FABVR6, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

can someone take a couple plugs out to see what the crowns look like in theirs? i just did mine (had scarey visions of them coming out covered in oil!) but they were ok (although dirty) and the crowns were still caked in cack

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

since doing this my idle now hunts and is annoying the knackers off me.

anyone know what i might have done?

3. mike1 Forum Member

Just want to check i'm using the right hose. The picture shows the thin black cable that runs from my air box to the throttle body. Is this the one I dip in the water? if it is, could some one tell me which end I take off, the air box end or the throttle body end?

thanks for the help

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/mikexx3/08012006008.jpg

4. PeterG. New Member

I used it on my Frontera diesel and didn't notice any difference; still failed the MOT on smoke emission.[:^(]

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

A bit of propane into your intake will knock the smoke WAY down - camping gas cooker cylinder with a nozzle, and a hose into your airbox. Just crack it wide open when it comes to the smoke test.
    Not sure if it would be do-able the way they do your MoT over there, but here in N. Ireland I've seen it done a good few times and work a treat! It makes the diesel (or crankcase oil fumes) burn more efficiently so less smoke. Take your air filter out as well.
    Also make sure you thrash the engine on the way to the test........

Mike - yep, that hose will be fine. Disconnect the airbox end and put it in the water.

Matt - have you checked you didn't disturb/crack any vacuum connections while you were doing it?

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It'd take a long time and a lot of water to clean the "cack" off your plugs! It's intended to clean heavy carbon deposits from the piston crown, combustion chamber surface and the back of the exhaust valves........

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my crowns (although not bare metal clean) do not have any carbon on there. did the job, just it doesnt idle properly now

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You say you normally run it with the ISV disconnected - is it reconnected now?

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my idle with the isv connected is 1100, without it is 800. my isv is leaky or the car is not controlling it properly and opening it too much

10. kirby Forum Junkie

Digging up an old thread.
    Has anyone done this with a 1.3 engine, like mine in my mk1?

What pipe could I use?
    Cheers :)

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Aye, Pigbladder did in his old Polo I think......... and a few more that I can't remember because they are non-persons. Just numbers to me.
    Bar codes.
    You are not a number, you are not a free man. You are a CGti member........

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what is the benefit of this one meant to be again?

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Decokes your engine.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

since doing mine ages ago, i still keep getting those hickups in the revs at idle.

it also made my oil filthy after doing it, iirc.

15. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I've tried this recently on an 86 8v & it does actually work! I was very sceptical about it, gave it try & the car is definately running smoother & accelerates quicker. It may be my imagination (unlikely as I don't think I have one) but the tappets seem quieter as well.

I used the vacuum hose for the ignition advance & that seemed to suck the water up at a sready rate.

16. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I do an ATF for a couple of hundred miles and a water clean prior to changing my oil... I'm another convert who swears by TSCs tips... 000's of miles an no problems... One thing to bear in mind with Dubs that use MAP sensors - if it starts runing like a dog tafter the water trick then remove the MAP pipe and clean the crap out of it.

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive replaced the hose for my map since then... any chance there is water in the map? i expect this could confuse the pressure it reads lol

18. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Tried this about 3 times now, each time with a pint or two of water on my mk3 16v running iut trough the vacuum hose off the throttle body. I did it again today and did a before and after inspection of the piston crown through the spark plug hole with a stick torch, and it really isn't making any difference :( The tops of the pistons look almost lumpy with black stuff! Going to go get the car stupidly warm and give it another go then leave redex on top of the pistons overnight and see if that does the trick. If nothing else the steam is cleaning up inside my tailpipes a treat :p

19. Phil. Forum Junkie

I was just going to say make sure the engine is good an hot but you covered that in your post.

Take the car for a 'spirited' drive then let it sit for a few minutes when you get back to ensure the temps are well up.

20. nibbzy Forum Member

ok so what pipe ya use on an 90 gti 8v then?