12v and 24v vr6 engines

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Enigmatik33, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

apart from the obvious is there any real advantage in the 24v head? just curious from things mentioned on here. if i've got it right the 24v still only has 1 pair of cams not quad cam like most v6? in 2.8 produces 204bhp compared to 174 in 12v but according to people on here the highline golfs had around the 190 the 2.9 12v corrado unit had. so maybe only 14bhp gain from 4 valves per cylinder? from the recent golf mag and comments on here 230bhp seems to be where it settles in N/A form. not sure about the torque figures. does the 24v have a greater potential, anyone got thoughts/views/comments about the differences between them?

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

highlines are the same as all later cars engine wise, and they may have a few bhp more than early ones, but its pretty negligeable really. most have aircon which looses power as well. most 12v vr6's seem to have more than 174bhp as standard as well.

i'm not too clued up on the 24v's, but i think they produce the torque lower down than the 12v...which is a real advantage (the 12v's lack at low rpms)

3. Valver Forum Member

From what I gather, the 24v is more like having a 12v with the Shrick VGI... ;)

Also, seen some good figures for the 24v with AMD/Revo chip - close to 240bhp (R32 territory).

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Can the 24v run from the 12v management/loom?

5. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

800g told me a while back yes. just got prices for stuff and looks like a good buy, but need to know whether to go one way or other.

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

[:s]

7. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

that's it ur getting feck all back from singapore! [:x] :lol:

8. Guests Banned

what was the 24v in?? just the mk4?

9. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

I'll take what ever Darryn just did himself out off :lol:

Is this for the black mk2? I canae believe you are still building this :p

Alan

10. NormanCoal Forum Member

If Matt told you it will work then it will, but if I were you I'd try and sort the whole 24v swap as per a 1.8T with full OEM management, keys and clocks etc

11. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

you and me both alan, finally getting money from bro only been a year![xx(] maybe one day i'll get to finish and enjoy it all [:^(]

Darryn? Al will have you motherboard stereo etc :lol:

ChrisP still waiting to hear back if the price is got was engine ecu clocks etc. but looking at other options if it isn't as the price i got was fairly reasonable. 450 for engine 250 for g'box even rest of 4wd was only another 300. even just g'box and engine would be better buy than the 12v i was considering.

12. NormanCoal Forum Member

Put it this way, I was quoted 1500 inc vat for engine loom, clocks and keys......

Does that make your deal sound good?

13. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

erm yes? :lol:

even if it's just engine i can source a 12v ecu and loom for couple of hundred