1300 MH 5spd into 2G 4sp mk2 Golf

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mk2shed, Nov 11, 2003.

1. mk2shed In Delete Queue

Got a mk2 1300 4-speed, 1990' and it had a doomed 2G engine from the beginning, after 2 head gaskets and loads of money spent i have swapped it with a MH engine I have aquired at the right price, however it is a 5-speed.

It has gone in fine, all mountings are fine bar the top gearbox mounting bracket which is way off the mark.

Any ideas where to find one if they exist? After touring alll local scrap yards and blank faced dealers all i could find was 4-speed 1300's, do 5-speeds exist?

2. jake Forum Member

yeah they exist, somewhere. I seem to remember driving a new one in the early '90s. I did the same conversion not so long ago and left the 4 speeder on there for a while so I can get the brackets together. They dont seem to be on many golf in my local breakers either.
    My MH came out of a polo ranger so it should give me a nice long 5th gear for motorways (I hope it will pull it!)