16v 020 2Y Final Drive Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by chrismc, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Dogwood Forum Member

Cheers for your help fellas. If its basically 02A/J with a few small mods, I guess Quaife may be interseted in doing one. Might try Drexler first to see if they do something off the shelf.

2. prof Forum Addict

is is a 3 shaft job like the 02m?

peloquin do an 02m diff

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hold on, did I miss something here? Will the 6-speed lupo box fit a 9A block?

4. prof Forum Addict

looks like it :clap:

5. chrismc Forum Junkie

The lack of a readily available slipper puts me off straight away though [:^(] Surely the boxes themselves must me as rare as Rocking Horse poo too...

Certainly a very nice idea, but s to do properly.. [:s]

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

PHANTOM GRIP!!!!! For those of you who haven't seen it. Here is a link.

Phantom Grip

My mates dad uses one in his hillclimb/sprint MGB and loves it. Cambridge Motorsport are the UK supplier. One third the price of a quaiffe job and it acts like a plated diff when/if you get one wheel clear off the ground!

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

hows that thing work

8. ianb Forum Member

Chris

You know what 16v boxes are like [:s]

I never got into 5th at Coombe or anywhere else come to think of it. I could pull just over 120 into Avon Rise on the limiter in 4th at 7800.It was pointless going into 5th as I always was running out of track before braking into Quarry.

The standard ratio's are good enough for your spec

What you need for better lap times is competition rubber or slicks

If your happy to run harder springs and tweak camber adjustment further by shaving the hubs that maybe an option.

As Gary has said it's a matter of time before they do fail especially 5th gear running that power.....I remmber my 5th going just before I sold it I need rebuilding and a new Helix centre plate.

Had I kept the car I would had gone cable box for reliabilty issues even though the change isn't as nice

Another difference between our cars which does make a difference on track is pulling close to 8000 rpm on certain areas of the track. You can reallly gain ground holding onto the gear. Not sure if your car has been balanced (engine) but it helps when pulling above standard revs as mine used too. Putting some ARP internals wouldn't go a miss.

Your better of saving your money and concentrating on rubber and then chassis development IMO

My MKIV has enormous ratio's but there again it has over 100lbs more torque to pull them.........

I know what I'll be doing over the winter and that will be developing it for next year's track season :lol:

Ian

9. CashewNUT New Member

[:s][:s]The standard ratios are good enough for 150 mph+ at ~7800 rpm in 5th. Why voluntarily have a 5th gear that you can't use andnot close up the gearswith the use ofa lower final drive?

Gears before tyres

10. chrismc Forum Junkie

Yeah, I think Chassis development will yield the biggest gains too mate....

Was thinking of junking the Eibach rear ARB & going for a Neuspeed Adjustable jobbie, maybe even a 28mm adjustable (or 25mm if im not feeling brave... [:$] ) Although the car turns in fairly well now, this has to be induced by running the front dampers quite soft & rear fully hard, & still doesnt feel as if the rear end will ever "dance"...hence it seems to lose a bit of body control in the interests of better front end grip. Even so it still feels like it wants to understeer all the time.. [:s]

Raceware rod bolts are on their way, but the bottom end is standard (no balancing) so im wondering if being able to pull 5th around Combe might be beneficial? Still not got to the bottom of this "harsh running" its been suffering from either... [:s]

Bodies are off to Jenvey for a free service too (Binding up) so Il see where im at when its all back together ;)

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You'll get better drive out of lower speed corners with a 3.89:1 FD too and as I say, can use a higher gear in some corners where you would be on the limiter using a lower gear ,using a higher gear can keep the car more stable too imo. It doesn't *sound* as fast though :lol:
    Edited by: GVK

12. ianb Forum Member

For your set up Chris and the output it's already giving you'd greatly benefit your lap times by chassis development.

The Dunlop Formula R's were great on my car...they lasted pretty well all things considering. Slicks are another option too.
    The sidewalls of these types of tyres inspires soooooooo much more confidence over a road tyre because they have such stiff sidewalls and soft compound rubber. They will well not only gives higher levels of lateral grip in wet and dry when hot but they help reduce understeer as will more camber.

Tyres would be my first port of call.

The ARB that Neuspeed make is better for adjustability and on the MKIV they have made a huge difference.

If your gonna use it more for 'track only' in the future, then greater poundage springs are also very beneficial

I went around Coombe in Steve Blocks C'hampionship winning 16V with massive rates on the springs it was awesome............not too good for the road but brilliant on track...that revved to 9k :lol:

As with any of these mods now your into a different territory and more compromises.

Changing ratios is another option but it wouldn't be first on my the list in your case.When the box finally breaks is when I'd consider the change to lower F/D.
    As I said I felt the standard ratio's were sufficient in my car which was of similar power and torque and it never shamed itself on track ;)

Ian

13. prof Forum Addict

but it had a magic thing too :lol:

14. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Not as magic as the final drive though.......

So my vote would still be for a 3.9FD.

15. GVK

Here we go again [:^(]

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Tyres don't offer anything other than a way of shelling 400-500, and a guaranteed 3 secs/lap. There's no development as such.

Gearing's all about keeping that engine on the boil - if it's falling off the power/torque curve due to wide open gearing, sooner or later you need to deal with it.

My Jetta would go around Combe on 195/50 15 Eagle F1s in the same time as it would on 225/45 Hoosiers. This was because the latter had a much larger radius and made the gearing worse, so the engine had to work harder. I bought some 195 50 / 15 Yoko A038Rs, and, bang, 3 seconds found.

That was all on a 3.9FD. You could calculate what the effective gearing was on the Hoosiers, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it put it back close to an effective 3.67 FD (ie 2Y standard) or pretty close.

So there's something to be had from both.

Cost comparison? I'd say the FD can be done for less, but just how much depends on who's rates you're paying.

Edited by: Chris Eyre

17. CashewNUT New Member

Invest 500 in some driving lessons, you will be quicker than all of the above suggestions ;)

18. GVK

That's not a bad idea actually.

I had two sessions of instruction with Ian Carvell at Donington a couple of years ago, did wonders for my confidence on track,helped with the lines and pointed out areas where I could improve. :) Well worth doing.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of folk who do trackdays think they are above it tho.
    Edited by: GVK

19. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I have a AGC box, is this the one with 3.944 final drive in it?

Also i have AFE box that came with my 9a passat engine but i cant trace its ratios anywhere [:s]Anyone knows?

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Gears, 1-5:

3.7782.105&n bsp;1.3450.971&nbs p;0.795

FD: 3.944
    1988 to 1990, 135bhp Corrado. G60 also? Passat??

FD: 3.944
    1800 Digifant Corrado
    No gear info