16v aerial cable

Discussion in 'ICE' started by bootsie, May 27, 2014.

1. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

I've been trying to sort out my radio reception, which is terrible. Found an antenna lead in the dash, it's the one with an additional cable with a bullet connector, presumably power for the aerial amplifier. Powering this didn't make any difference to the reception. Bought an inline amplifier and tried that instead - what signal there was (local radio stations) was better, but still couldn't really get anything useful.

Whilst routing around in the boot for something else, I found a bit of cable inside the passenger side rear turret carpet, near the rear light cluster. The cable looks like RF cable (and an RF connector) and it runs up into the C pillar on the passenger side.

[​IMG]

It isn't connected to anything and I can't see any other cables running inside the car that it might have come off. I didn't think it was the same connector type as the aerial one (though it does look like a BNC RF connector) but it seems quite a coincidence that my radio aerial doesn't work and this is floating around.

Does anyone recognise this sort of connector as part of the Golf 16v aerial?
    Where does the aerial cable normally run - within the roof or along the floor/sills?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Mobile phone aerial?

3. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Possible, but they're aren't any other [obvious] aerials on the car.

4. blis Forum Member

Induction type stuck to rear window?

5. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Had the roof lining off this weekend to sort out this and the sunroof drain tube which had come loose.
    It turns out that this connector was a red herring - the cable went up into the C-pillar and then just stopped. Not sure what it ever did, if anything.
    I did find that the original aerial bad been bodged by someone who didn't understand coaxial cable. The lead from the aerial had been chopped before the connector and both ends (screen AND centre signal cable) twisted together and wrapped in PVC tape. I took the whole aerial out of the car and repaired the cable properly (solder and heatshrink) and now I've got Radio 2 again - hurray!