16v to 1.8t swap

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by magictree, Jun 5, 2022.

1. magictree

magictree Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys. I'm considering an engine swap for my 1990 16v golf. I'm leaning towards a bam engine as I believe it produces most power out of the box. I know there are various threads on here about 20vt Conversions but I still have questions. I keep reading that I need a gearbox from a mk3 16v, can't I just use my mk2 one? Also I'd want to keep my my clocks, is that an issue. Being a 16v what would I have to change? Subframe, Fuel pumps etc. It seems that most of the Conversions I've seen the starting point was an 8v or lower and they start adding 16v parts.

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Used a mk4 o2j tdi box on my conversion, speedo cable screws on after unscrewing the electric bit on top, even had 100mm cups on it.
    Better suited ratios for the smaller wheels on the mk2 as well, just had to change to the cable gear selector which was very easy, chop bracket out underneath, cut original hole slightly to clear selector pivot and add a plate with 2 holes basically.
    Probably cheaper and easier to find the tdi one, bonus.

3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I ran an 020 16v box in a 20v for a while. Was fine for stock power.

BAM is the most expensive variant as everyone things it’s factory forged, it’s not.

you’ll be able to keep your 16v clocks and won’t have to change subframes, brakes, fuel pumps or anything. Just adapt the wiring, which will include a tach converter for the rev counter.

Monkeybrain likes this.
  4. Skool New Member

Get a later engine with the better ECU if you plan on not doing a standalone setup(2001 > i think)

I it were my money id base my setup around a late spec K03/03s engine with the small port head and fit a new hybrid turbo from Littco/BBT.
    02a/j box with a lightened/balanced G60 fly/VR6 clutch combo then someone reputable to map it. Makes for a fun, torquey, reliable road car.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

BAM hype lives on!

Have a read and expand your search to other 06A 1.8T codes.

https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/decoding-the-bam-hype.286688/

Where did you read that you needed a 16v 020 gearbox and why did whoever say that was the way to go?
    Yes a 020 MQ200 gearbox will bolt to a 058 or 06A engine, but more needs to be considered if that 200 Nm gearbox will be permanent fixture to the overall powertrain.

No shortage of opinon out there giving what they think is "advice" with vehicles that are poorly put togther.
    The question for you, is what do you think a K04 type 20vT engine will achieve for you, that could not be achieved by another engine/gearbox?

You can be helped by some of us who have done this sort of exercise before, but you also have to give more infomation as to what is your expectation.

6. magictree

magictree Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for your advice guys. I'm basically just looking for more power. I was tempted to go down the modified 16v route but I think it's just too expensive to get to where I'd be happy with it. Ideally looking for a fast Daily but keep my old 16v unit in the garage so it could always go back in at some point if want. Hence I don't really want to change too many parts if possible.

Night trucker likes this.
  7. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Slap a 20v in, get a second wiring loom modified and keep everything else 16v. 180bhp AUM and you’ll be away. 180bhp feels soo much faster than a 16v engine. I’m not a huge 16v lover [:D]

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Fast daily as in?

0-60 in 6 secs, 100 to 125 8 secs?

High revving torque to 8000 rpm, or grunt (torque) through 3500 to 5000 rpm and shifting at 6500 rpm?

All those small understandings, lead to a suitable power train.

It is not expensive to tweak an ABF 16v NA engine to meet some of those requirements. The hardest bit is to understand your perception of 'fast car' .

daNpy likes this.
  9. Skool New Member

Your 16v driveshafts will be useable

280mm brakes will bolt straight on your 16v hubs

Track-slag do an off the shelf downpipe

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  10. Monkeybrain New Member

This is my current dilemma, mytacho and temp gauges don't work. Is ther ea guide ?

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

12. daNpy Forum Member

For the tacho you'll need a signal amplifier I guess... see my signature.

Monkeybrain likes this.
  13. Monkeybrain New Member

Yeah, just ordered one. Thanks

daNpy likes this.
  14. daNpy Forum Member

Good :thumbup:
    I hope they're not too expensive over there. In NL they are, that's why I build them myself. TonyB also has one :)

The temp gauges are supplied by the voltage regulator, is that one still in order? But from the info on this forum I've read it's usually a wiring issue.