1979 s1 gti

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lee_dub, Jan 6, 2012.

1. damien.wrl Forum Member

I want an early original mk1. :thumbup::cry:

2. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Ah bugger!

3. dean warren New Member

was this ever finished?

4. Lee_dub Forum Member

So it turns out I really suck at getting MK1 golfs restored. I still have her and put her into storage 6 years ago and never opened the garage since, until a couple of days ago

11D4C375-3F2B-4A94-AC3F-262A505314ED.jpeg 35BC2F92-6119-4DC6-B09E-40BBFFFE6EA0.jpeg E30B29B4-5F2B-4003-9710-A02B333F36BC.jpeg F360ED9B-A518-4133-9989-0CABB80BDD2B.jpeg 494ABC5D-60FC-434E-910B-CC83B8AF8DCA.jpeg

So yeah, I am feeling pretty sad, I really want to drive this car, my grail car, as soon as possible. I need a new daily and looking around nothing excites me and I just though to myself I could get a cheap daily and finally finish this thing. I have approached crazyquiff to just hand them a load of cash and they finish it but their waiting list is 18 months to 2 years! So either I need to find somewhere that could do this for me or I need to bring it to my house and start again.

It needs more body work doing, 2 wings and front panel that I couldn’t afford back when I got the other stuff done. things have changed a lot since and these days I’m time poor but have a load of cash to throw at this now. Does anyone know of any other reputable MK1 golf restorers? I’m in Berkshire but willing to travel. If not restoration services maybe bodywork places?

can I be driving this in 2020? I hope so

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the wings and front panel could be done later, if it was me I would crack on with the mechanicals get it on the road and start enjoying while you look for a good body shop :)

6. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Get it running and driving enjoy it and get the rest sorted when time appears

7. Lee_dub Forum Member

I have considered it, but the time poor thing is an issue. I still have the S2 converted looms you did for me still in the box you gave them to me in

8. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Please just get it restored - there are more VW restoration companies than crazyquiffs, granted a lot of them may work on the likes of VW bugs/campers but if they can restore one of those to a high standard, trust me they can restore a mk1 golf GTI. I looked at my mk2 16V on a rotisserie for 8+ years and in the end I sold it to my cousin and bought an 8V - time and distance beat me. What you have there my friend is a proper bit of motoring history and that car needs to be restored and you deserve to be driving it.
    Please keep it standard if you can at all - I'm an OEM nut I know but one of those S1's in standard form....beyond rare and most definitely precious.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

well I'm in Bracknell so you never know I might be able to help you put it back together. doesn't look like theres a lot to do mechanically going by the pictures, depending on the state of the engine.

might need a new radiator at least, maybe get the correct topfill type or at least move the header tank where it belongs as it looks a bit funny on the driver side and I dont like the look of the coolant hose running over the exhaust

10. Lee_dub Forum Member

Costel, yes my intentions are to return her to stock series 1 GTI.

Rubjonny, I may take you up on that as we are very close. Perhaps we could come up with an arrangement for some beer tokens. Yes I will change to a top fill radiator, I would like it to be standard as much as possible