1986 alpine white Mk2 GTI resto. R32, Recaros & More!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by UKLonar, Mar 18, 2021.

1. UKLonar

UKLonar Paid Member Paid Member

I've owned this car for many years now and it's had an awful lot done to it in that time. I've spent a fair bit of time lurking on this forum looking for answers to various questions, so I thought it was probably about time I put up some sort of build thread.

Anyway, here's a run down of everything in no particular order (I hope) that has been done to the car so far!

A full engine rebuild has been carried out with various modifications added, including a Newman 268 cam, Kent vernier pulley, polished crank, high compression Wossner forged pistons and mild porting and polishing. K-jetronic system was somewhat overhauled in 2015 and the engine has an adjustable 16v WUR attached to it.

[​IMG]

Trackslag OEM slanty system and milltek manifold also added; manifold was heat wrapped before going on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car now makes a proven 140bhp on the rolling road and you can certainly tell when hammering it. Pretty decent for an 8v.

Dyno vid:

New alternator, going from 55amp to 65. Earthing wire also uprated in places.

Various odds and ends also changed, such as wheel bearings, CV boots etc. Changed to pink coolant instead of the blue stuff.

Engine bay was stripped back completely, treated, painted and waxoyled.

[​IMG]

Redone bits of wiring in the engine bay to lights, various sensors and auxiliary air valve as they were showing signs of corrosion or splitting.

Fitting a Epytec shortshifter bar which feels great alongside the mk3 weighted shifter.

Fitted KW V1 coilovers as well as new G60 top mounts and had the cars geometry aligned. Fitted plastic strut caps to finish off.

[​IMG]

Bought and fitted Ronal Turbo 15 inch wheels and new black tapered wheel bolts to match.

[​IMG]

I also run BBS RS 070 and 071 when the weather is nice. Mcgard locking wheel nuts run on both sets of wheels.

[​IMG]

Fitted new MoMo ProtoTipo steering wheel with new MoMo small splined boss adapter.

Fitted custom made wooden golf ball gearknob, more wooden bits to follow.

Fitted good condition FIFFT smoked tail-lights.

Fitted 3D lettered number plates.

Fitted a used good condition set of roof gutters.

Had a decent amount of rust removed from the car and a full respray:

Rear valance

The rear valance was basically made of filler and I'd instructed them to cut it out and weld in a new panel, here's what they found once cutting it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuel door area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear valance repaired

A new panel was welded in as well as using some of the new panels for the corner sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear badge

Bubbling around the VW badge meant that it had to be removed and ground back to clean metal.

[​IMG]

The windscreen scuttle panel

Rust in two places needed to be addressed, under the seal under the drivers side and the usual rust around the wiper spindle. This has been ground back to clean metal and the new panel provided was not required. Channel behind the windscreen seal has also been tidied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drivers door sill, underneath sill sticker

I had noticed some bubbling under the sill sticker in this area, so I'd asked them to take a look. Here's what they found:

[​IMG]

Drivers door

Unfortunately, I also had some nasty scabbing on my drivers door. A section has been completely cut out and a new section has been welded in. I was a little bit bothered that they kept the rubbing strip on but I suppose it is what it is..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted and Shutz spray added:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back together after respray and welding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sound deadening and underlay kit fitted:

[​IMG]

You'll notice one piece is a different colour on one side of the handbrake cable underlay. It turns out they sent me two duplicate pieces!

[​IMG]

Some additional sound deadening for inside the doors, this has made a huge difference already to resonance:

[​IMG]

And finally, door membranes. Not pretty, but they'll do the job:

[​IMG]

Custom Recaros and door cards fitted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also fitted NOS Votex floor mats and added later style door bins to the door cards, with a few of adding speakers in the future.

There's probably loads and loads more I've forgotten to add, I think to properly remind myself of what's been done I'd have to read through the receipt folder of doom.. and I don't feel up to that!

A few bits and pieces planned now though, I'm going to give it a proper detail tomorrow weather permitting and probably put the RSs back on.

I also need to take the door cards back to the trimmer for some minor adjustments, as the original cards were off a big door/later car and they don't quite fit right. Hopefully I can get this sorted in the coming weeks.

Other things on the list:
    • Replace coolant hoses and add Mikalor clips.
    • Fit various stainless bolts and screws.
    • Get the sill vinyl sticker fitted.
    • Modify seat bases so I can sit closer to the wheel, it's a bit of a stretch at the moment which isn't ideal.
    • More that I can't think of right now, it really never ends.
    Will of course try to update as things progress!

Vinnie, copeidge, erreesse and 2 others like this.
  2. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

lovely!!!

UKLonar likes this.
  3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Nice work, great interior.

UKLonar likes this.
  4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Lovely indeed

UKLonar likes this.
  5. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice indeed, is that a "BuiltByBasil" gear knob? Set's off the interior really well

6. UKLonar

Thanks mate. It is one by him yeah, I've got the first one he made! He sorted the winders for me as well in matching material.

NateS2 likes this.
  7. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Ahh didn't even notice those! He makes some really cool work

UKLonar likes this.
  8. dodgy

Just checked out the website, highly impressed.

UKLonar likes this.
  9. UKLonar

Careful now, you might end up spending a small fortune!

NateS2 likes this.
  10. UKLonar

Treated the car yesterday to a wax and put the RSs on considering the weather is a bit better at the minute. Looks mega, but to be honest I'd forgotten to take any decent pictures.

I'd unfortunately noticed post wash that the bottom of my fancy new door cards on the drivers side was soaking wet from jet washing. I'd assumed this was down to me not getting something right with the replacement membranes... I'm thankful that the cards are the later plastic type ones but suffice to say I wasn't best pleased upon discovery.

As a result, I've taken that side off today and reinforced the bottom of the membrane with more tape. If that doesn't do the trick, could this have been caused by the alignment of my door? It's not perfect but it's not far off being right.

cupracraig likes this.
  11. dodgy

A bit like when discovered storm motorwerks when had the mini clubman, one gearknob and handbrake later my bank was £160 lighter.

12. oldscool New Member

Very nice ! what tyres and size are you running on the ronal's ?

13. UKLonar

Thanks mate.

Both sets of wheels have 195/45/15s on them!

oldscool likes this.
  14. UKLonar

Bit of a gap since I've put up an update, but since the last update I've done a few bits and bobs. From what I can remember:

The interior went back to the re-trimmer to just get everything fitting properly, this included trimming back some foam on the door cards and removing the rear windows and refitting the seals so they'd fit nicely over the rear door cards. A few pics (note a few grubby fingerprints, since removed!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also fit a Dreadnought Customs sound deadening kit for the bonnet, a really nice fit but I did cock it up a little bit in the centre:

[​IMG]

I gave the car an oil change as well to keep on top of things too.

I've still got an issue with cold running and idling, I had worked on the car with another member @cupracraig and we have found that the Idle air boost solenoid relay wasn't in the correct slot on the fuse box. We'd swapped this over into the correct slot, with the expert guidance of RubJohnny and a few resources on here. We thought we fixed the issue, but unfortunately it still persists!

I'm thinking at the moment of swapping out the engine and binning off anything to do with KJET, either for a BAM 20v or 3.2 VR6... I'm leaning more towards the 3.2 swap having owned a Mk4 R32 but going out for a spin in @cupracraig 20v has me torn.. Either way, I'm in talks with Fabless Manufacturing in Canada at the moment for their VR6 conversion bits, they look quite good. Has anyone had any experience with their stuff?

Here's a few more pics I took after a clean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Vinnie, erreesse and cupracraig like this.
  15. Chtelain New Member

Very good job :taper:

AlTRMzl.jpg

What isolant do you use on your door ?

UKLonar likes this.
  16. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Oh man, I think it'd be terrible to swap the engine, even though the v6 is luscious

UKLonar likes this.
  17. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I agree. Don’t ruin it!!

UKLonar likes this.
  18. GTIBOB

GTIBOB Paid Member Paid Member

Fantastic job
    Really admire the total dedication in restoring these cars.

UKLonar likes this.
  19. dodgy

I used fabless for a few bits, they are great, got sent in 3 days, not sure if type19 are their agents over here, but they have stuff on the website, be aware of import tax though, I got hit with it.
    Boost fabrication have some stuff in the pipeline for v6 swap, and 1.8t stuff is already available, throttle pedal mounts and clutch solutions too and excellent quality.
    As you can tell I'm not a purist, it's up to you which powerhouse you want in your car, I've gone 1.8t but now found a 3.2 v6 also which may get stored.

UKLonar likes this.
  20. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Your car looks fantastic great work :thumbup:

UKLonar likes this.