1986 alpine white Mk2 GTI resto. R32, Recaros & More!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by UKLonar, Mar 18, 2021.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

This is what you guys need - no space too tight :lol: Five pence coin for reference.
    9398E315-7A9D-4825-88A8-2E4247689AFD.jpeg
    053D1B70-1CB2-44A4-8142-073E911BDC88.jpeg

dodgy and UKLonar like this.
  2. UKLonar

UKLonar Paid Member Paid Member

I just had the rears working in mine, so the opposite of you! I think eventually, I'll fit some speakers to the door pods as well like the later cars had. But that's lower on the 'To-do' list.

dodgy likes this.
  3. UKLonar

4. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Wow, that's a real surprise. They didn't last well at all.
    Here they are brand new, being fitted in 2016.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UKLonar likes this.
  5. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Holy crap, just popped up on my timeline, 9 years ago today I bought it!

Here's a pic from the original ad, I paid £400 in 2013

[​IMG]

Four years (or thereabouts) and thousands of pounds later and here's one of the pics from the advert I put together when I sold it on. I know it's been on quite a journey since it left me. Glad to see it back in good hands.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    erreesse and UKLonar like this.
  6. UKLonar

Yeah, the speakers were utterly knackered. I'm guessing it's just a harsh place for them to be, constantly getting a bit damp and then getting sunlight on them. Funnily enough, despite fitting new ones the drivers side one still doesn't work sometimes; so I'll have to look into that.

Great that we've got such a long history of the car between us! You'll see it later if the weather plays ball.

7. UKLonar

Little update this time, I chucked a spare better condition rear wiper on so here's a before:

[​IMG]

And after:

[​IMG]

Not the best condition, but I'll paint up the original and it'll look great.

I went to Cruise to the Prom in Weston last weekend and had a great day out. The car had loads of attention and I had quite a few conversations with people about it. Anyway, here's a few pics taken from the day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I visited Retro Retrims today to discuss a few more plans and what I'd like to do next. I won't spoil anything but put it this way, there's still things I'd like adding to the interior but you'll have to wait and see what!

caddyboet, afbiker02 and dodgy like this.
  8. UKLonar

Went to Bristol Volksfest on the weekend as it's quite local to me anyway, turned out to be a great show.

No pictures of the car though, as I ended up in the general carpark!

Anyway, I've been having some issues getting 3rd and 5th gear and after talking to a friend at Volksfest with a 3.2 swapped Mk1 Jetta; it's a common issue apparently!

I was told that sometimes, the shifter mechanism/weight on top of the gearbox can make contact with the coolant pipe running alongside the engine. Causing an issue with specifically 3rd and 5th..

I tested the car whilst parked up and it didn't appear to make contact, but thought I'd still take the opportunity to fit a short shifter to try and remedy the issue.

So I bought a kit from Forge:

[​IMG]

And here it is fitted, took about 15 minutes to do and there's definitely no issue with clearance now.

[​IMG]

I've got it set to the middle setting, so I could make it slightly shorter in shift. But here's a short video showcasing what sort of result to expect inside the car.

It's early days yet, but I drove it around town after fitting the kit and it feels as though it's all sorted with no issues going into gear. So fingers crossed, there's no expensive gearbox work required!

9. UKLonar

So, I took it to a few shows and did the inevitable, I smashed the sump!

Anyone that's had a 24v will know, the sump is quite low down especially if the cars lowered...

Anyway, as it might help someone out. The Mk5 had a shallower style sump. To fit one, all you need is the sump and a shallower style pump.. the part numbers are:

Sump: 022103601R
    Pump: 022115105E

And a bit of a surprising update.. I've sold it!

Bit gutted for now as the car is definitely very special, but it's time for something else.

I'm looking at Mk1s as it's an itch I've always wanted to scratch, ideally in Alpine white unsurprisingly. I've got big plans, but I'd like a very clean base to work from as I can't be bothered dealing with rot again!

Once I've got the next project, I'll be posting it on here for everyone to have a nose at!

caddyboet, AKAeddypeck and afbiker02 like this.