1986 alpine white Mk2 GTI resto. R32, Recaros & More!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by UKLonar, Mar 18, 2021.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Did pretty much the same on my 87 GTI last winter,my car was an import from the UK very really in its life before being imported to New Zealand with very low mileage,had all the issues that these old cars have but really good bones ,no rust but a city car with lots of carpark dents.
    Did headgasket on the engine ,did the brakes and fitted new disks/pads all round,changed the broken g/box,replaced the steering rack,and spent a fair amount of time on the interior including completely repairing the busted up headliner.
    Certainly not up to the high standard of above car but turned out rather well besides,top marks to the OP for a really nice car.

Attached Files:

UKLonar and erreesse like this.
  2. UKLonar

UKLonar Paid Member Paid Member

I should really try to update this thread more often, thanks to everyone for all the great comments.

I bought a pack of silentcoat on my brothers recommendation, it's essentially the same quality as Dynamat but less expensive.

@dodgy - I did order a load from them directly and it cost a pretty penny. Unfortunately there are no UK distributors and none planned yet. Mark at Type19 did try, but with little success.

@watercooled - Lovely resto mate, you can't beat an alpine white mk2.. I really need to do my headliner at some point. I may try the ones off ebay as people seem to rate them. I've lots of bits left to finish as well to make it perfect.

3. UKLonar

So what is the plan?

In a couple of months time, work will commence on an engine swap. I appreciate this won't be to the taste of the purists, but you can't please everyone.

After experiencing both a mk2 20v and a mk2 3.2 (as well as owning my own Mk4 R32).. I've decided on a 3.2 swap from an early Audi TT or Mk4.

Quite frankly though, I'd happily own either a 20v or 3.2 swap car; but we can't have it all eh?

I've acquired the following parts so far and will post updates accordingly, but expect a few small job updates first.

- Trackslag 2.5 R32 downpipes
    - Trackslag "OEM slanty" 2.5 inch (same as whats on there now, just bigger diameter)
    - 02A Mk3 VR6 Gearbox
    - 02J conversion tower for gearbox
    - 02J shift tower, threaded Audi TT shaft.
    - Uprated KW springs for the KW V1 on the car.
    - 16v hubs/knuckles, G60 caliper set up
    - Fabless Manufacturing VR6 mount kit, front crossbar and driveshafts
    - Fabless Manufacturing hydro clutch kit and DBW pedal adapter.
    - Clutch slave and master, Hydro suitable brake reservoir.
    - Fabless Manufacturing custom radiator shroud and adjustable mounts. NA VR6 radiator, 2x Spal slim fans and wiring harness.

Quite a comprehensive list so far as you can see. Hopefully will make for an interesting, tidy build.

In terms of who is carrying out the build, Retro Resus in Bridgwater are carrying out the conversion for me. Personally I do not have the time, skills, space or patience to carry out such a 'technical' job.

The built EV 8v engine will be put up for sale, along with the Milltek manifold and 2.25 inch Trackslag system. I'd expect a few other bits will go up for sale too.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    dodgy likes this.
  4. watercooled Forum Member

Don't you mean 02A box ?,thinking a 020 would blow the diff rivets in no time with a 3.2 VR ....just asking.
    Don't think your conversion is an issue,IMO you can only make these great little cars better with an engine swap,ex girlfriend had an Eos 3.2 24V and I was impressed with the power for a heavy car ,in an mk2 it would be a real fun drive,cheers.

UKLonar likes this.
  5. UKLonar

Hah, yes I meant 02A. I should have written that post when not half asleep. Amended now!

Yeah, it's going to be a blast to drive. I'm quite excited to be honest.

6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Are you going widetrack, or standard, just wondered as to the fabless driveshafts?
    I managed to get a mk4 v5 o2j box plus 100mm cups, just in case the engine my friend has decided to follow me home soon, future project and all that.
    Looking at it the r32 may have been better for me than the s3 lump, but would kill the fuel economy on trips to Somerset to see my boy.

UKLonar likes this.
  7. UKLonar

Not going widetrack mate, the only alteration in that regard I guess is the tubular front crossmember. They include the drivshafts in the kit for a couple of reasons, apparently the first is they're a better length for the levelled out engine you'd get with their mounts. The second is that they're better built to withstand the power from a 3.2, as opposed to perhaps stock mk2 driveshafts.

I did look at V5 boxes, I suppose they come with the benefit of already being 02J. But the gearing wasn't what I was after.

Oh and yes, this will no doubt be rubbish on fuel.

dodgy likes this.
  8. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

Tom's just a few miles from me Dave, next time your down we should try and meet up

UKLonar and dodgy like this.
  9. dodgy

We are down this weekend, but unsure of plan at moment, I know a trip to proper job is on the cards as need stuff for work, and sorting Ed for his new job too, I'll let you know.

UKLonar likes this.
  10. UKLonar

To update on the engine swap parts, the garage have sourced a 76k mile Mk1 TT engine for the swap, so that's good news. I've also acquired pretty much everything required for the shifter and gearbox side of things. As it stands, it's all go for the start date of the 26th!

Another small update is whilst stuck out in torrential rain, I noticed a small leak from both doors along the top. I've adjusted the strikers so that both doors now sit more flush and closer to the body with less gaps. I've also fitted a new door seal on the drivers side as it was a bit tired, so hopefully that will remedy the problem!

AKAeddypeck, dodgy and cupracraig like this.
  11. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

@dodgy .. Tom might have the gear linkage setup going .. @UKLonar what you got?

dodgy likes this.
  12. UKLonar

If you're referring to what was on the car, it had an Epytec short shifter arm and a mk3 weighted rod. I can ask for these to be kept if it helps.

13. dodgy

Craig sorted it, he still had his, cheers though.
    Shame didnt get to catch up when down, was too manic, sure will do soon with you guys.
    Worth keeping that set up though.

UKLonar likes this.
  14. UKLonar

Been a little while hasn't it? The swap is progressing well but there have been some issues along the way. Such as a bodged chassis leg repair that desperately needing sorting to keep the car safe, I managed to get a cut from Brendon Moss and this is a during and after result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lovely and clean.

Engine is looking good, I went to have a look today and it's cleaned up lovely. Here's a pic with the trackslag downpipes attached:

[​IMG]

Subframe, wishbones, slam panel and a few other bits off to powder coaters this week. Will try to update when I get some pics.

erreesse and dodgy like this.
  15. UKLonar

Unfortunately, my subframe was past fixing. So I ordered myself a refurbed one with refurbed wishbones to boot. Not too bad really, nearly the same cost as powdercoating.

[​IMG]

Also managed to get hold of a refurbed bulkhead heatshield for a good price.

[​IMG]

Hopefully I can share more exciting news in the next couple of weeks as the engine should be going in!

erreesse and dodgy like this.
  16. UKLonar

So, the lower part of the bulkhead, chassis legs and tunnel were a bit grotty. So they were stripped back:

[​IMG]

Primed:
    [​IMG]
    And painted:
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately not body colour, but considering you won't really see it I wasn't bothered. Saved me a bit too!

Aside from that, G60s and VR rated springs fitted to the KWs:
    [​IMG]

And finally, engine fitted using all the Fabless bits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously a fair bit left to do, but hopefully won't be waiting much longer!

17. dodgy

Luverly stuff.

UKLonar likes this.
  18. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good lovely engine choice [:D]

UKLonar likes this.
  19. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

This looks fantastic. Love the interior, and that motor is going to pull like a train. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

UKLonar likes this.
  20. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Dope build - interior is sweet the the trimmed seats and nice details like the gear knob and winder handles :)

How was dealing with the Fabless guys? Their kits look pretty nicely made but their location put me off so far

UKLonar likes this.