1987 16v mk2 golf resto - paint is on!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Coakers, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Yep I've opted for all 4 ports which I somewhat regret as I would of rather replicated the oem system. I also learned (just in time) that it's vital to split the system. So the FR of the MC goes to the Left Rear caliper. The FL of the MC goes to the RF caliper.

2. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Brilliant thanks again mate. Just ordered from B&B components £4.99. [:D]

3. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Done some more bits today. Starting with the Fuel Accumulator(s) (part no. 431133441C) their cases are in poor condition but there's nothing wrong the function of the one that came off mine at least. (Unkown about the one the came with the spare pump/casing) Even though mine is the one that looks the worst (right).

[​IMG]

But the knot wheel on an angle grinder and locked it in the vice.

[​IMG]

Also used the dremel for the hard to reach places and

[​IMG]

Not half bad. Had to let the cloud of iron oxide settle before I coated them with Hydrate 80.

[​IMG]

I very nearly bought a new one but they are around £170 for a replacement and since I have two already plus another big expenditure on the horizon It just wasn't worth it.

I'll give them a coat of gloss black to finish the tidy up.

Turning my attention to the exhaust manifold(s). Yeh I've got a spare one of them too. Two exhaust manifold-to-downpipe bolts have rusted so much there was nothing much left of them so I cut them off and was going to drill them out when I remembered I had a spare that I'd kept in my grandads old shed. That itself was very rusty though.

While we are here, its about time I asked about these downpipes, they were all sold as 16v downpipes but they are all very different!
    Not looked into as to why yet, answers on a postcard?

[​IMG]

Yup pretty corroded inside and out.

[​IMG]

Out with the knotwheeel and dremel again.

[​IMG]

120 grit on the manifold faces got them nice and flat. I also used the dremel to get rid of the rust (sick of saying rust) in the bores of the manifold.

[​IMG]

The downpipe end was a different story.
    The old gasket had fused itself to the 'face' it.

[​IMG]

Got a finger sander, power file? a while ago which I was careful with but It still took ages.

[​IMG]

Mounting with new gaskets and nuts (ordered copper washers). Also mounted the downpipe. Surprising how long all this took!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    holdawayt likes this.
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the correct mk2 16v item is the one on the right with resonator box. to fit it have to either lift the car very high in the air to get it in from underneath, or remove the rack, or lower the subframe.

the one on the left is an 8v one, you can tell as the diameter will be 2" rather than 2.25" for the 16v. Middle is a MK3 downpipe, can be used but you'll need a decat pipe to go with. handy if you want a lambda probe as the decat will come with a boss for it, some have 2!

5. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Dang it, I've fitted the 8v one, didn't want to fit the most likely rusted out resonator box, does anyone do replacements 16v downpipes?. Or I might just leave as is and upgrade to quality 4-2-1 unit in the future. Thanks again though pal!:thumbup:

6. rubjonny

you'll probably be fine, just fit a reducer so you can fit the rest of the system. seen an abf on the rollers with full 8v system and it didnt really affect it

Coakers likes this.
  7. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

nice work, keep at it dude :)

Coakers likes this.
  8. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Moving back to the fuel pump. My photos are consistently poor so I apologise for that. Need to upgrade this phone! Anyway.

These casings are problemetaic due to mainly the screws for locking ring that turn into cheese after a couple of decades and the brackets for the accumulator and fuel filter which are just generally brittle and old. As you can tell from the way the two I own have responded to disassembly. So after the miliput had cured and whem time allowed I armed myself with petrol and a nylon bush i set about cleaning everything then painting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I built everything back up with one of my Christmas presents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yup, unnecessarily expensive braided fuel lines, around £100 from VW heritage. Good job they were a present from the other half. I'm far too tight to splash that kind of cash for a couple of fuel lines.

This is how it looked before.

[​IMG]

Not overly fond of how one of the lines rests against the fuel pump. Just hope I've installed them in the correct configuration.

[​IMG]

Oh and stripped and repainted the spotlight housings.
    Here's the other side for comparison, they were in a pretty sorry state. Like everything else on this car really.

[​IMG]

Sorry that most of my updates are just in baby steps but I just have to do bits when time allows at the moment.

9. rubjonny

looks like the line is bent slightly too tight on the curve, though you might be able to crack off the nut on the pump and rotate the pipe slightly. even oem they're pretty tight

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  10. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Aye I was looking at pictures of the oem fitment and they are all pretty tight. I'll have another look at it tomorrow or Tuesday . It's been a busy week. Work (JLR) have recently launched the new Evoque and are about to launch the Discovery facelift so its chaos at the minute.

[​IMG]

I have sourced a full genuine mk2 leather interior, It hefty road trip to Bedford to pick them up satutoday but well worth it. All for £230 inc door cards! The drivers side has got a lot of bolster wear but than can be sorted in time. I'm also thinking of dying it black but I need to look more into it as I'm not a huge fan of the grey leather but mk2 leather interiors crop up so infrequently now I had to have it at this price.

As for the car... All I'm going to say is.. Something is happening. The next four to six weeks are going to bring a lot of changes.

[​IMG]

beetie likes this.
  11. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Quick update,
    I stole/bought me some wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were up for sale for around 4 hours, at which point the seller said he was swamped with offers but I said I'd give him a deposit. They had been recently refurbished and he only wanted £300. It required another lengthy road trip but was well worth it.

He knew what he had but he wanted some split rims that he had his eye on for his mk1 cab so a quick sale was required. I was thinking about wheels for a good while so I was very very happy to get these when they cropped up.

cupracraig likes this.
  12. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Let's talk about bumpers shall we, or rather restoring them. For thousands of years mk2 golf owners have debated, argued and fought over the best way to restoring the fading textures to bumpers and arch trim. Well I saw Rye1991's thread a while back and he used this stuff

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/262589135785

Pro-XL textured bumper paint.

Didn't get many before pictures but all I did was clean the bumpers with white spirit, key them with scotchbrite pads, clean again with white spirit and dry with a MF towel. Oh and mask...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's the rear bumper after one coat compared to the untouched front bumper.

[​IMG]
    Close up showing textured effect.

I thought well I can't have nicely painted bumpers and just leave the faded GTI stripe. What a paint these were to mask up.

[​IMG]

But I was very happy with the finished result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not perfect, there a scratches and dints in them but I think they'll look good on the car.

13. rubjonny

is it too late to say the red stripe unclips from the bumper?

14. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

[:|][xxx][:|][xxx]...... that is all. Or are you joking?

15. rubjonny

Unfortunately I am not joking :lol:

Although you can console yourself by saying 'it might have cracked if I tried to remove it' while sat alone in the shower, with the crying game playing in the background

paul5 and Coakers like this.
  16. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Just catching on to this Mk2 16V restoration - good on you and you're sticking with it. It's always great to see a good soul bring a mk2 back from oblivion.

17. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

M
    Much like the scene from Ace Ventura, shouting Why! WHY!? Yep did that.

18. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Thanks mate appreciate that, but I've sometimes considered setting it on fire, joking.. not joking. But giving up would be more painful at this point than the hardship of a full resto.. And when I take it on the first drive I expect all that stress will be forgotten about and I know it'll all be worth it. :-)

19. rubjonny

OH MY GOD Einhorn IS A MAN

Coakers likes this.
  20. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

:lol:

Not much to report for the time being, I've been buying parts that I need, bits and bobs really, I need some GENUINE 84-87 gti arches of anyone has a line on some. But in terms of jobs I've not been upto much except open a gigantic can of worms.

[​IMG]

You see where this is going.
    [​IMG]

And after 47,000 years working my way up from 80 to 600 grit then switching to mop attachments on the dremel I've ended up with this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third 'runner' is slightly duller than the rest as I tried a different finishing method but I'll go back and sort that and tidy a few other bits and bobs. They need to be thoroughly cleaned inside as undoubtedly aluminium swarf has ended up inside so you obviously don't want any of that getting sucked inside the engine.