1990 Golf MK2 1.6

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Maddgolfmk2, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Maddgolfmk2 New Member

Hi all. I have recently had my engine overhauled which was clearly a bum job since ive had more issues with it than ever before. So to break this down, my first issue I need help with is, once I start the car, the idleing jumps up and its stutters. First I was told that the carb was the issue from the mechanic, which has been replaced with a brand new one from VW. i had noticed that my distibution units connector had been broken. So ill be replacing the whole unit tomorrow. Any suggestions?

2. peterbarlow1

peterbarlow1 Paid Member Paid Member

Have a look around the engine bay and change the distributor cap however to me it doesnt sound like the distributor cap, rubjonny (Mk2 God) will come along with all the options.

3. Maddgolfmk2 New Member

Superturbo: Shot brother. Im going to goldwagen today to buy a whole new dizzy unit. Im gonna replace it and see if there is a difference. From what I have gathered so far is that there must be some sort of ignition timing issue of some sort. Once ive done the unit and its not working, Ill need some advice on what other options I need to look at to sort this problem out. Thanks Again for the response.

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

be aware fitting the distributor needs setting with a timing light , cant just bolt it on an hope its right

the new carb...was any effort made to check that its setttings are correct ?

5. Maddgolfmk2 New Member

Yo man. Im having some issues finding the correct firing order. Ive tried the 1,3,4,2 confirguration but it still sounds like the pistons arnt all firing. My question is, after setting the TDC, marks on the crack and cam shafts and pulley. Ive set the order with the rotor arm facing on 1, then I connect lead 1 to that, but in which order does the config run from top left 1 to bottom left 3?

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Pop the cap off, get someone to spin the engine briefly, and note the direction of rotation.
    Once you have the timing marks up again, no.1 lead where the rotor is, then 3, 4, 2 as the rotor would rotate.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1342 clockwise

8. Maddgolfmk2 New Member

Fitted the whole unit. But now im getting no spark. Check Cam timing and rotor position. Checked firing order which is correct. Rotor going clockwise and fireing in 1342. When I first fitted it, car fired, but timing was way out. Started to reset all the timing. No Ive got no spark. Any suggestions?

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin