1991 Pearl Grey Golf MK2 GTi Project

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by NateS2, Oct 6, 2019.

1. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Thank you!! If I can get anywhere near the quality of your build I'll be happy hahaha :)

Exciting delivery from Russia today...
    [​IMG]
    New rear protection and Pollen Filter + Housing from a Chery Amulet.

The rear protection is a reproduction and is made from textured ABS. Its very tough and as far as I can tell identical to the original smashed up ones you can get on eBay for £100 :/. I needs a bit of trimming and the holes cutting out but I'll post more pictures when I've got that done.

As for the Pollen filter, you've got a few options for your MK2. Either the original VAG housing, a Knect/MAHLE LAG19 like @GG has fitting to his MK2, or this. I couldn't find either of the first options anywhere for a reasonable price, so I went with this item from a Chery Amulet. This is Chinese car that is based of the VW A2 platform and consequently shares lots of part with a MK2. Many of the parts, such as the pollen filter and housing, can still be bought new from Cherry and its pretty much identical to the original VAG item and will take a normal LA19 filter.
    The only issue was getting one in the UK but Artem is a very cool guy and purchased one in Russia and had it shipped with the rear protection to me! :):)

[​IMG]
    I've also bought these NOS "clips" that are used to hold the protection on. I had one in my car and luckily I saw these 5 on eBay for a good price so I now have the correct number!

cupracraig likes this.
  2. NateS2

The guy who I got the rear protection from also makes rain trays that are full width but have a more standard look than the SWG items. If anyone is interested in these or the boot protection let me know and I can some prices for a group buy

GG. likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

let us know how the pollen filter fits, even the proper MK2 golf ones dont fit so well on RHD cars

4. NateS2

Will do! I did a quick test fit with me smashed up scuttle and its a little hard to swap the filter because obviously the tabs are at the back now because its for LHD but I can still be done. The top of the filter did foul the scuttle a little bit but I could make it work. I'm going to be getting a hard scuttle soon and if that doesn't fit I'll get a flat filter instead

5. rubjonny

sounds like same deal, they sit a little high so the tray needs a little fettle

6. GG.

GG. Forum Member

The LAG19 is not available anymore. I searched everywhere and it is NLA. The filter element LA19 itself is still available.

I had the LAG19 housing recreated in 3d and JUST NOW, literally 5 minutes ago received the first prototype printed in ABS plastic. :lol:

I will check the fit, and I can have a small batch printed for those of you who need it. We can also adjust the design to better fit the RHD version :)

7. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Count me in for one boot protection. I have one with a little crack and I swear it is the most delicate material on planet earth (that or the headliner for a sunroof mk2).

8. rubjonny

if you're going to make a custom design maybe look at changing it so it takes a mk4 filter which is much easier to get hold of. I was planning to hack up a mk4 filter housing to fit my mk2 at some point

9. NateS2

Yeah would definitely be interested in a 3D printed version, and if it can fit a MK4 style filter that would be even better. Would be nice to be able to fit a carbon filter, especially considering the lack of recirc on a MK2. In the meantime I'm going to get a flat LA 19 style filter which should hopefully fit nicely under the rain tray.

10. Louis Falco Forum Member

Any updates on this? My current project is also a 91' pearl grey 3dr gti :)

11. NateS2

Sorry for the huge delay on this, life got in the way and the bad weather has made working on it a challenge! A lot of work has been carried out since my last post however!

I've all but completed the rust repair. Not many picture of this because it was very tedious towards the end :/ Got it all sealed up with Henkel underseal and coat of Dynax UB in high load areas. Not perfect but far better and totally solid now. As mentioned before the rust around the beam mounting points was quite severe, and I really doubt that it genuinely passed an MOT when I bought it.

Fuel System

The first part I decided to refit was the fuel system. The earth wire had totally gone so I got a new one from VW. Its been soldered which isn't ideal but is really the only option due to the corrosion damage. The thread has also had a light spray of galvanising spray to finish it off and tidy it up.
    IMG_3539.jpg

The tank was really grotty after 30 years under the car. Got the scrubbing brush out and some Bilt Hamber Korrosol and set to work...
    IMG_3188.jpg
    There was a huge amount of tar and embedded iron which was pulled out. Once it was all clean a layer of car pro trim dressing was applied just to keep it looking nice for about 10 miles :) I also fitted a new PVC vent hose, with new stainless clamps. Along with a new fuel pump gasket.
    2b94cf7a-b936-4286-a785-b87aaa12183e - Copy.jpg

Very bad picture but this is the finish result under the car. The straps were new from the previous owner, but I've had them powder coated. New stainless bolts have been used and these have been coated with Durlac Green to prevent corrosion.

Next it was onto the swirl pot. This was in quite a sorry state so took a lot of cleaning up. I snapped one tabs on the housing so I repaired it by melting in some plastic filler and wire strands to add strength. I also did the same repair on the fuel pump ring. The large green O-ring that seals the pump is an odd size and impossible to find. I instead got the nearest imperial size in FKM from Barnwell. I also got new O-rings for the roll over and vent valves on the tank. To get around the rusting screw/cracked housing issue, I got some A2 stainless "Plastite/Polyfix" screws from Accu. These also have a torx head because I hate phillips/posi...
    Fuel pump.jpg
    To mount the pump to the housing I got new rubber mounts from Classic VW, and more stainless hardware from Accu
    IMG_3757 - Copy.jpg
    I also replaced the rubber mounts and clip which hold the pump to the car. Second hand rubber which was cleaned, new stainless nuts from Accu and new plated clips source from OEMVWShop in Slovakia.
    825708F4-7EA1-424A-B8FE-F89E2334291D - Copy.jpg
    The completed article with new Hengst filter. The bracket was coated with BiltHamber Electrox and Black enamel paint.
    B01911ED-9BDD-4E88-AA94-7B2B6435964A - Copy.jpg

I also refurbished the plastic hoses. I removed the hold swaged rubber and fitted new Cohline ethanol resistant hose with Oetiker clamps. Far better. For the rest of the clamps, the OEM solution is Clic. You cannot get these in small quantities so instead I went with Norma Cobra. I think these look a lot cleaner than Clic, but are still easily removable and reusable.

IMG_3758 - Copy.jpg

In this final naff picture you can see a leak test of the tank system on the floor. If you look closely you can see the cobra clamps too
    c77f0aff-37a7-49dc-b534-796dffbab72a - Copy.jpg

dragonfly, dodgy, costel1969 and 4 others like this.
  12. H8V

h8v Forum Member

So much better than the clean up and refurb I did on my fuel pump housing.

NateS2 likes this.
  13. NateS2

Thanks! :) Ended up being fairly expensive but I think its worth it in the end. Very satisfying putting nice new clean stuff together. I'll put up some more pictures and the other work I've done later

14. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

A lot of work that most would bodge. Well done

NateS2 likes this.
  15. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looks fantastic, great effort.

NateS2 likes this.
  16. NateS2

Thanks guys :) I can 100% see why people would bodge it, the amount of time I've spent sourcing all the correct parts and comparing options in scary. Even simple stuff like the clamps took ages and multiple orders to get the right size because of variations in the fittings on the car. And the O-ring was a whole different league. Although looking at it now the O-ring I got fits far nicer than the original green one and actually looks like it was the size that it was originally designed for, rather than the weird one ETKA shows.

Its a FPM 0420-50 75 durometer if anyone needs one. Ignore my other post its actually metric, 42 mm x 5 mm. Needs to be HNBR/FKM/FPM/Viton. Any of those will do, just not NBR

17. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

Know how you feel about the rust

NateS2 likes this.
  18. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

I would like to find out about the rear protection

19. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome work and plenty of insight of what is needed for the job, thanks!

I plan on doing the same for next winters project, so I will definitely be revisiting this post for pointers.

NateS2 likes this.
  20. NateS2

Glad you can relate, think your done and then you find another piece :/

I'll be fitting this shortly so I'll get some pictures of it etc. The guy is very friendly and helpful. Its made out of vacuum form plastic (maybe ABS, I can check) and its pretty much perfectly shaped. It also goes up higher on the sides than the originals so looks a bit more finished. You obviously have to cut the holes yourself which I'll document. He got a video of him standing on it too to show how springy/flexible it is

Thanks :) If you need any more info just let me know, the pipe lengths I got all from ETKA, the weird reducer piece I got from VW heritage and the tight 180 degree bend that goes from the swirl pot to the car I just replaced with hose because its very flexible.
    The hose is Cohline 2240 7.3mm and I got it from cohpro. I also go the oetiker clamps from there. Bit more than generic hose but well worth it as they're an OEM supplier. If you want to do anything in tank make sure you get 2190 otherwise it'll dissolve

Vinnie likes this.