1992 mk3 Golf Gti 8v engine into my mk2 caddy van

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by leodis2, Mar 6, 2019.

1. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi .. I have a 1997 mk2 Caddy van. I have just removed the clapped out diesel sdi engine and replaced it with a 1992 Golf mk3 8v petrol engine and loom.
    I have plugs with seemingly nowhere to go! Can anyone cast a light on what any of them may be please. Wondering if some are redundant as they maybe for the old sdi diesel engine.

1st pic; yellow and brown plugs sorted just the blue male plug..blue/white wire...green plug with blue wire.

2nd pic..brown sorted so its yellow male plug with grey/blue wire..blue plug with green/yellow wire ...Black plug, 5 wire k plug..red/green pinstripe wire..brown/black wire..blue/green wire..brown wire..green /blue pinstripe wire.
    3rd pic green female plug.. red/brown wire

4th pic. male black K plug (two wire plug but only 1 pin inside)..green wire
    Any help at all would be really appreciated as I am stuck... Thanks H
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. Blue plug is VSS for the ECU, as its a caddy the wiring for this might be a bit funny, can you confirm the ECU/Engine code/part number. green plug if coming off the mk3 loom is probably for aircon

2. follow all of those to source, but they're probably van/diesel/clocks related and not needed for the mk3 ecu

3. possibly radio switched live from ignition switch pin SU

4. think thats diagnostics related, maybe from immobiliser. where is it coming from?

3. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi rubjonny. Thank you for answering . This is exactly what it says on the ecu: Digifant DFi..037 906 024B..bosch 0 261 200 596.

The engine code 2E 1992 golf mk3 gti 2l petrol .No4.. black plug green wire, seems to be coming from the existing caddy loom side of steering column.

Thanks again :thumbup:

4. rubjonny

sorry I should have been more clear, I meant for the old caddy engine so I can look it up. on the later caddy they have a couple pins swapped about compared to mk3 golf you see, just need to confirm if yours is late enough to be different :lol:

5. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Pop your head in at
    https://caddy2k.com. Doc on there may be able to help on caddy side of things all wiring. Many engine conversions on that site He's like the Caddy Rubjonny.
    From an sdi there's gonna be a difference...

6. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi ,, Sorry I misunderstood doh.. The code on the Caddy ecu is Bosch : 028 906 021 HA and the engine was a AEY sdi diesel . Thanks again

7. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi there thanks for that.. Will do :thumbup:

8. rubjonny

ok so you have the slightly weird caddy wiring, but not late enought that its extra strange :lol:

The VSS output of the clocks on this one is fed through what is usually the engine check light feed to the cluster.How top fix this depends on what clocks you want to run, the original caddy rev counter (if you even have one) wont work on the mk3 ecu signal as it should be fed by pin W on the alternator.

If you keep the caddy clocks you need to depin that blue/white wire from the blue plug and pop it to G1/9 on the fusebox to keep the ECU happy. If you change the clocks and say wanted MFA then you might also need to change the clock loom depending what you go for, and if so you can wire the blue/white to W/1 like it would be in the MK3 donor.

sometimes the caddy indicator and mpg wire plug are the opposite way round to the mating plugs on mk3 engine/light looms so thats another issue to deal with if you need to change the clock loom, not too bad though depin the caddy wires from old loom and swap into mk3 loom for example.

9. rubjonny

although having said that, you might find the ecu doesn't even care the VSS is missing. I certainly noticed no difference either way on my Abf ecu. vr6 definitly aren't happy without it, but 4 cylinders it might only be required on the 8v lump to make the MPG signal work properly. So if you wanted the MFA clocks then you'll want the VSS so that works!

10. leodis2 Forum Member

Right thanks for that rubjonny... I didn't have a rev counter on my caddy instrument panel but I'm not using that. I am using the golf Mk3 instrument panel from the donor car.
    I think its a 1H6019930X and only had 57000 genuine miles on the engine and clock :)..so if i plug the blue and white VSS into w1 on the fuse-board I may be OK?. Thanks H

11. rubjonny

cool, are you using the mk3 clock loom or the caddy loom?

12. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi.. I'm using the caddy clock loom with the golf clock :)

13. rubjonny

Alrighty so you'll need to pop W/1 pin into G1/9 and you should be good to go, the mpg purple/white on the 2E ecu loom may not fit the caddy plug housing as one I helped with a few months back had the 2 plugs the opposite way round if that makes sense, but no big deal there.

looking at the diagrams that 2 pin plug with green wire is the diagnostics output from the immobiliser and so you dont need it any more as the 2E doesnt have one, put the ECU grey/white to the caddy diagnostics port jumper or direct to the port if theres nothing else on the car which needs diagnostics (2 pin brown plug at the back of pic 1 with yellow and grey/white)

14. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi sorry for the delay answering I couldn't get on the forum for some reason..

Thanks for that.
    Regarding the diagnostics port, I am still a bit confused.. Am I right in thinking I only have to use the grey/white wire and not the yellow?
    If so what or where.. do I connect the grey/white wire to?.
    At the moment I have got a brown from Number 4.. white out of number 7..yellow out of 15 and red out of 16.. Please see the pics.

Thanks again H [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rubjonny

yep you only need pin 4, 7 and 16. pin 7 is ecu diagnostics to the grey/white wire on your 2E loom back to ECU pin 43 :)

16. leodis2 Forum Member

Ok, I will get on with that. Thank you for all your help, much appreciated. :):thumbup:

17. leodis2 Forum Member

Yey got the van to start :) .... only problem I have is fuel pin 1 on M plug should be live but isn't? so I need to find an ignition switch live, as I am running on a permanent live at the mo and having to remove the fuse to stop the pump.. could you advise me on how to solve this. thanks H.
    Ps. The fuel sender id working ok

18. rubjonny

19. leodis2 Forum Member

Mmm I have put an 80 relay in but still not getting power to M2 ? Thanks H

20. rubjonny

Ok next check the 30-30b jumper is in place round the back, if so try a 17/18 relay in slot 12 see if pump works on ignition