1992 mk3 Golf Gti 8v engine into my mk2 caddy van

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by leodis2, Mar 6, 2019.

1. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi. Yes ok, The 30-30b jumper is in place, so I will have a look in the morning when I go to the garage and put a 18 relay in.
    If this works does it mean my 80 relay is no good and that is likely causing the problem? Thanks for your quick response. H

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

If that works then it could be a different relay yeah, or perhaps the fuse has gone #18. Also some MK3 looms have a 2 pin plug inline with the fuel relay trigger wire to g1/3, if so it should have a jumper plug in to loop the pins together or you could depin it and pop the ECU wire direct to g1/3.

You should have a 30 or 32 relay in slot 3 also

3. leodis2 Forum Member

Thanks for that. I will have a look tomorrow. No doubt I will be back on soon [8-}] . H

4. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi again
    .I have replaced the 80 relay with an 18. I am now getting power to M2, so the pump is now working off the ignition. Just ordered a new 80 so will replace the 18 when it arrives.
    Ran the van again today and noticed that the coolant level light in the cluster is flashing? rev counter etc all working fine. I have though, changed the caddy cluster to the mk3 gti cluster.. I aso replaced the old rad fan to a kenelow fan and replaced the caddy radiator to a golf mk3 one.
    So do you think any of these changes could be the cause of the flashing. Would adding a 42 relay(which we don't have in our fuse box) help?. Thanks H ..

5. rubjonny

some progress then, check the g1/3 wire if a new relay doesnt help.

with the coolant warning light do you have a level sensor in your coolant tank? if not this could be why, check C plug pin 8 this is wired to the header tank plug and the other pin is either earthed in the harness or back to C/5. If you dont have/want a tank or wiring you can just loop a wire between the pins to disable it

6. leodis2 Forum Member

Thanks a lot you have really have been a gem with all your help ...

I have now put the 80 relay in and all good. I will link the C plug today and hopefully that will do the trick.

I had the van running yesterday and did a check on the brake lights fog light and hazard lights, they are all good but found the indicators were not working.
    I fitted a new indicator stalk as the old one collapsed when taking the dashboard out. I haven't fitted the steering wheel or air bag as yet so could this be the reason? Thanks H

7. rubjonny

whaeel/airbag shouldn't affect it, maybe check fuse 17 might have been popped when it all fell apart. do the hazard lights work?

8. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi Yes the hazzards work fine. I will change the fuse as you suggest and see if that solves it. Thanks H

9. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi. Changed the fuse and not fixed the indicator problem. Also I have linked C plug pin 8 to pin 5 but the coolant level light is still flashing? thanks H

10. rubjonny

alright next check U2/5 to clock plug pin 2, maybe its missing from the caddy harness?

on the stalks look for a black/blue wire this is your ignition live from fusebox to the stalks. also while back there give all the plugs a good push, maybe one isnt quite locked into place

11. leodis2 Forum Member

ok thanks for that. I checked the U2 plug (blue) and nothing in pin 5...I also checked the black/blue wire to the stalks and all ok.. wipers working but still no indicators? just thought I would mention, I dont have a relay 42/43 in, does that seem right. thanks H ...... Again [:s]

12. rubjonny

alrighty so you need to run an earth to pin 2 on the clocks or a wire from pin 2 to U2/5 if its empty to silence the level warning, for whatever reason the caddy clocks didnt need this one.

you dont need the 42/43 relay on these clocks, its only required for very early jetta and digifant plus some other models.

with indicator maybe the hazard button is dicky, if you still have the old stalks you can pop the button off the back and maybe see about swapping it over or use some parts from the inside to rebuild yours. there are some wee spring loaded contacts inside might need a bit of a clean and/or repair

13. leodis2 Forum Member

Ok thanks for that.. I will run an earth to u2/5.. Does the clock plug take junior connectors to run the wire ? I am also going to take out and refit the new stalks and make sure i've push it home far enough and check the hazard switch/wires. Thanks again H

14. rubjonny

you'll need to earth pin 2 on the clocks, or run a wire from pin 2 into U2/5 then the earth you put in on the C plug will do the same job :)

clock pins are specific, similar to drive by wire mk4 ecu pins if you dont have any spares. U plugs take junior/power timers :)

15. leodis2 Forum Member

16. leodis2 Forum Member

Ok thanks again. Can i buy the pins for the clock plug/and where from ... Done a google search and nothing came up ? thanks H

17. rubjonny

Just had a thought! have a look in pin 20 to U1/8 for the glowplug warning, you dont need that any more :)

18. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi. Just had a look at plug U1 ( blue) iv got a green wire with white pinstripe on pin 8.. so do I need to remove this to stop the coolant light flashing? thanks again H

19. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi. I have bought this loom "VW GOLF MK3.5 Speedo Clock "LOOM" VENTO - MK3 8V 140MPH" Can I replace my Caddy van mk2 loom with this one ? of just use the pins from it to add to my clock plug.. Sorry for all the questions but when Iv solved this I can finally get it back on the road. Thanks H

s-l1600.jpg

20. rubjonny

I mean remove the wire from U1/8 to pin 20, you no longer need this as its for diesel glowplugs. then swap this wire to the coolant level warning light pin U2/5 to pin 2 on the clocks.

If you use the MK3 clock loom only thing you may have to do is swap the plugs over from the caddy cluster loom for the indicator and mpg signal, as last caddy loom I worked on the plug was the opposite gender