1995 VW Golf MK3 1.4 Intermittent shuddering Issue

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by mosuilleabhain, May 30, 2023.

1. mosuilleabhain New Member

Hi All,

This is my first post. I have a 1995 VW Golf Mk3 1.4 and for several years, very intermittently the car will shudder when driving. The engine light will come on, the revs will climb up and then the car will continue as normal. When this happens one of two things will happen later, either the engine will rev when I am braking (foot not on accelerator) or the car will fail to restart for a few minutes when I have turned it off.

The fuel pump has been replaced and the alternator for separate issues. I did some research on this forum and got hold of a VAG.COM, but I don't get any errors. Currently, as I am typing this, (sitting in the car), the engine is idling very rough. It cut out, but restarted ok again.

Lots of things point to either the crankshaft sensor, the ignition coil, or even a dirty throttle body. The fuses all seem ok.

I'm stumped. I am very much an enthusiast, so not very skilled with this car. I have had it for 19 years and don't want to say goodbye to it as yet. It should be noted, that if I drive the car in warm weather for a few days, magically all issues seem to disappear and it purrs along nicely. Not so good in colder weather.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mick.

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello & Welcome (to what I presume is a fellow Irishman or at least someone of Irish extraction),

There can be many potential causes and I have no experience of Mk3's but I would start with the following:
    • Does your car have a fuel filter? If so how long since it was last replaced - you may have crud in the line/partially blocked filter
    • Check all your vaccuum hoses in the engine bay (all connected and in good condition) - These buggers can cause poor running issues
    • Might be worth looking at the coolant temp sensor (Blue sensor in Mk2 not sure about Mk3)
    • Check all earths in around the engine bay - again a poor/failed earth can cause trouble.
    • I'm presuming that all servicing is up to date (particularly HT related components - plugs, HT leads etc.)
    • Throttle body is definitely a contender as well
    I would start with the above before replacing coil etc.

Hope this helps

mosuilleabhain likes this.
  3. mosuilleabhain New Member

Thanks for the advice. Yep, in Ireland :O), the golf is a 3-door Mk3 95-D. All servicing is up to date. I think I can hear a hissing noise, it could be a leak in a pipe, but not sure if it's that or just the fan belt spinning around. I'll start as per above and see what I can find. Cheers. Mick.

4. 2swe Forum Member

hissing noise ? there is a rubber plate between injection unit and intake manifold, part number 030129765G, after many years of use it starts to crack and disintegrate, leading to vacuum leaks, poor running and hissing. To be sure, you can spray the bottom of injection unit with brake cleaner, rising rpm and happier engine sound is the proof..

5. mosuilleabhain New Member

Thanks, 2swe. I will try that, is the part number the carburettor flange? I have a carburettor model.

6. 2swe Forum Member

carburettor in mk3 ? the part number is for 1995 1,4 ABD mono-motronic.

I replaced that rubber flange in my ABU last year, it was toast..

7. mosuilleabhain New Member

Thanks, 2swe. I know nothing about engines, I can recognise a fuel injection engine, just learning about a mono-motronic engine now. Thanks for the pointers. I thought it was a carburettor engine :)

8. mosuilleabhain New Member

A quick update. I started the car yesterday and within 2 minutes of driving it jolted again, engine light and oil light on, rev counter climbed up suddenly and then back down to normal. After that, the car drove perfectly. On the return trip, the engine purred along. It definitely feels like something that happens from cold start. The engine starts straight away without issue. I will do all the steps mentioned above, I have a new fuel filter on way and getting hold of some brake cleaner.