2.0 16V swap to 1.8T

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Matas, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Matas Forum Member

Hello, im thinking to swap my 2.0 16v to 1.8T
    Question is: What 1.8t engines should I be looking at? What price range should I be looking at?
    I drive seat ibiza mk2, i heard that 2.0 16V to 1.8t is pretty much one out another one in without many problems :)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

MK2 SEAT Ibiza runs a MK3 Golf subframe with MK2 Golf wishbones, so fitment wise its the same as a mk2/3 golf swap. if you can find a MK3 SEAT Ibiza these obviously are the very best donor for you, the downpipe will fit and I guess the rest of the exhaust will too? the wiring loom will still need adapted to suit your car, or I guess maybe the whole loom would fit? Not sure how close the MK2 and MK3 are in terms of wthe wiring routes in the car and thru the bulkhead, but I would count on at least some modification.

The MK2 Ibiza has a CE2 fusebox, so you can use this thread for MK4 loom conversion:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...install-faq-now-with-added-dieselness.267196/

MK3 Ibiza is totally different to mk2 and mk4, this thread should help if you get a MK3 Ibiza donor and keep MK2 Ibiza fusebox:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...-general-fusebox-plug-reference-guide.285928/

if you go for a mk4 engine then a conversion downpipe would be needed same as mk2/3 golf, and a larger bore exhaust probably. the ibiza has a 2.25" exhaust iirc, usually people go for 2.5 or 3" depending

as for what engine to get, have a read here:
    http://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/decoding-the-bam-hype.286688/

erreesse likes this.
  3. Matas Forum Member

thank you for information, ill try to understand it all [:D]

4. rubjonny

forgot to mention, since you have 2.0 16v you already have the right engine brackets and the ABF gearbox can work well for 20v swaps though it depends what sort of figures you're aiming for.

the 5 speed 20v box will fit fine as well if you prefer it, usually will have to swap the flanges over from the abf gearbox as 20v are 108mm. if its a 6 speed box theres a lot more work involved so unless you're really desperate I would forget that and stick with abf box

erreesse likes this.
  5. Matas Forum Member

It doesnt matter if 1.8t is from a golf IV or ibiza MK3? Abf still fits? It looks like cheapier and easier way to go haha

6. rubjonny

yeah the basic engine block is the same mk4 golf and mk3 ibiza, so either will drop in just fine. you can swap heads/turbo/inlet/injectors/etc to suit whatever plan you have, see the 'bam hype' thread for more in-depth analysis on this subject ;)

if you get an ibiza donor it has an 02j gearbox with 100mm flanges so will bolt in, mk4 5 speed 02j gearbox will be 108mm so swap the 100mm flanges off the ABF 02A gearbox or use the complete abf gearbox whichever you prefer

7. Matas Forum Member

Thank you for information, you are really helping me haha

8. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

just to add my 2p woth, i would avoid getting an AGU unless you Wide band it, its just a bit limiting in terms of who is willing to map it wen you eventually upgrade the turbo... and you will upgrade the turbo.

The AGU is a lovely engine to put in though and a flash map sees about 180-190bhp which is great in the small cars, its just limited being a me3.5 and not 7.5 which more people will be happy to tune

9. Matas Forum Member

But is it a big problem? Because if my abf gearbox fits AGU and it produces 180-190bhp i think its enough for ibiza, or am I wrong?

10. cupracraig

its more for future proofing really. once you get used to the power or the turbo starts to die, you might want to upgrade it and the older AGU engines are just a bit limiting because of their old management... i am sure someone might correct me. but my options with this setup are to :
    1: wideband it
    2: standalone management
    3: change to another 1.8t with wideband (AUM, BAM for example)

it would have been easier to just go straight in with an AUM

Your ABF box will fit all the 5 speed 1.8t's

11. Matas Forum Member

What cars have AUM or BAM engines?

12. cupracraig

theres likely a list on the forum somewhere.. but just take it into consideration and really think about your engine choice before you buy a donor car

13. rubjonny

AGU is early MK4 with drive by cable, AUM/AUQ later MK4 with drive by wire. BAM is the Audi TT lump which everyone wants as it has the most power 'out of the box' plus there are various myths floating about regarding 'forged bottom ends' and such.

But you can tune any 20v to the same levels with the right kit of parts and someone who knows how to map it, even an AGU. This can be done with the stock ecu, harder to find a willing mapper granted, or you fit later ecu and wiring at the same time you put the AGU into the car which would require various sensor, turbo, injectors, throttle body etc to complete but it's all bolt on stuff. This is a choice to make now before you build the wiring loom, as the AGU has totally different ECU plugs to the later AUM/AUQ/BAM/etc engines. So if you change later on it would mean making another wiring loom.

When it comes to choosing a way forward, if you plan to put a lot of upgrades in place to increase your power & torque, the very first thing to do is find a local mapper who can take care of the ECU for you. Listen to their advice, and build your engine accordingly. If you want to find a standard engine and just chuck it in and go, then it doesn't matter too much what you pick. Just be mindful of cupracraigs comments on the ECU if you have future upgrades in mind.

when it comes to the DBW ECU there are lots to choose from, and they're not all the same. the ibiza ecu for example is a narrowband type, the mk4 ecu are mostly wideband. (narrow and wideband refers to the main lambda sensor found before the cat) some have variable valve timing and some dont, the highest output ones also have exhaust gas temp sensors as well. so try to get a complete package so you know it all works together. even better if you can get one which is known to run then I would advise fitting it to the car as it is, dont mess about with anything till its running properly. nothing worse than trying to put together a total mongrel engine out of various parts then trying to figure out is it a wiring fault, a sensor fault, an ecu fault, or a mapping fault when it doesn't run :lol:

wiring wise some of the same codes of ecu have slightly different loom setups depending how old they are as well, so if you do end up mixing and matching parts be sure to post up what you find on here so we can ID everything you have.

There's a lot of detail in the BAM hype thread linked above to help you understand the various engines on offer, and where they come from :)

erreesse and cupracraig like this.
  14. Matas Forum Member

thank you, ill think about what I want and what I need, ofcourse i want to do it the easiest way, abf out, 1.8t in, but if i'll want to do something in the future i might need to forget AGU