2.0 2e cranks but wont start

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by sc00t, Feb 1, 2022.

1. sc00t New Member

bought a hella ignition coil, will check the stuff jonny suggested tomorrow aswell.
    Wish me luck!
    Thanks everyone, will report back if anything helps!

2. sc00t New Member

So as a follow up to this now ive had the chance to do the things suggested
    I rechecked the ignition coil voltage, turns out i didnt have the probes on my multimeter all the way in. It gets 12V then drops to 9/10 when cranking.
    Ive pulled the ignition coil out to visually inspect it, no visual cracks or anything so maybe an issue inside?

Engines definitely in time, cleaned the ignition coil ground and tried turning it over again. The fuse in position 21 popped and then when turning the key all the relays started clicking. Possibly low battery voltage problem? This car is frying my brain

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

coil voltage looks ok then, fuse 21 is for cluster, interior lights, diagnostics port and ciggy lighter so have a look at all of that. check out the battery, starter and alternator cabling make sure all clean and tight, pull spark plugs and check for fuel/fowling on the tips. get battery on charge also

4. sc00t New Member

All cables look good, cant see anything in particular on the inside. Lights are at off position, ciggy lighter off
    The central locking on the cobra alarm has went though? Happened before the fuse popped. Was working last night and tried this morning and nothing happened.

the coil ground wire is looking pretty knackered and sad but it is showing continuity so it should still be functioning as a ground

batteries been on charge all morning and back at a healthy voltage

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmm, cobra may be the cause of everything perhaps see if you can find any obvious damage in the install wiring around ignition harness, door jams etc.

best to fix up that ground if its knackered just to be sure

6. sc00t New Member

Gonna wait till ignition coil comes then probably phone up a car sparky. Im lost when it comes to that sort of electrical stuff. Have been a bit stubborn as Id like to fix it myself but sometimes its not possible

nothing at ignition harness or fusebox is really popping out to me but im probably really missing it
    Cleaned up the ignition ground aswell.

fingers crossed this ignition coil is all it was

Cheers again jonny, youre unreal!

7. sc00t New Member

Update for this thread.

New ignition coil did not solve the problem