2.0 8v timing issues please help!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Leafheadmk2, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Leafheadmk2 New Member

Hi all! This site has already helped me get my car running but I’ve got a problem (or several lol) it’s an 88 8v gti with a 2 litre block, I was told from a Passat so I believe that makes it a 2e? Anyway it’s not run for years but got it running recently, so thought I’d double check the timing as per rubjonnys guide, took spark plug one out, turned over til piston one is bang on tdc, the o t marks line up, the dot on inside of cam lines up with top of the head, but the crank pulley and flywheel marks are off by a small amount.
    https://i.imgur.com/IbbTwGp.png
    https://i.imgur.com/TuZjF6D.png
    https://i.imgur.com/hPhiGeR.png
    I put my own tdc mark on the flywheel and the factory tdc dot is off to the left almost like it’s replaced the diamond mark for timing advance.
    https://i.imgur.com/RzUF2ZA.png
    The distributor also looks off, with the piston at tdc, the rotor is pointing left but the mark is at the back, so looks off by about 90 degrees.
    https://i.imgur.com/uxA0dHR.png
    Do I ignore the flywheel marks knowing the piston is at tdc and remove and line up the distributor? Or try adjust the cam belt so flywheel and camshaft marks line up, but then surely the actual piston will be btdc when it’s showing at tdc on the flywheel? When running the engine doesn’t sound like it’s going to explode somehow but idle is a bit up and down and sometimes revs up by itself and revs hang. Not sure if that’s related to my timing issues or an air leak or something. Sorry if it’s confusing tried to explain the best I can haha. Any help or advice greatly appreciated! Tried to upload some photos too

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

If you're unsure about the cam, the safest thing is to pull the cam cover and see where the lobes are.

But tbh, your marks in the imgur links are fine, there's always a little tolerance, especially on the front pulley. That's not keyed, or pinned.

Re the dizzy, very few are refitted "properly" as they rotate while being fitted.
    I'd leave as is, and get a good timing light on it.

3. Leafheadmk2 New Member

Yeah now I’m just not sure whether to move the crank back a tooth or 2 to line it up with the pointer on the gearbox or just stick with the actual tdc position of the piston as they differ slightly. Could it be that the pb and 2e flywheels are different causing the tdc mark to be off slightly? I probably should just take it all off and line up with the factory marks but not looking forward to that haha

4. dogzila Forum Member

I always put 1st cylinder piston in topdeadcenter and before it moves down is my timing mark. Also check cams.

5. Leafheadmk2 New Member

Yeah I’ve got my #1 piston top dead centre and the cam o t mark and inside dot are bang on, it’s the flywheel dot and crank pulley notch that are slightly forward of their pointers. I thought everything should line up perfectly at this point, maybe the crank marks are off because it’s a Frankenstein engine im not sure lol. So should I just go off my own tdc dot and make another dot 6 degrees from that to set the timing advance?

6. watercooled Forum Member

If 2E motor and you are running a rib belt crank pulley you could have the dreaded pulley "slip" which is caused by the outer slipping as the rubber damper section gives up and usually can be seen by lots of cracks around that area,if so replace it ,IMO would tend to trust the crank notch over all because that is a constant.
    Move on from there and work on that for aligning the rest and you will be fine if you have made marks and you have correct belt tension.
    Did you turn the engine over a few times and check alignment again ?,
    You should have no running issues,I swear every 8V I have had always runs better with a properly setup cambelt change.

7. Leafheadmk2 New Member

I’m not sure it’s got a rubber damper unless it’s completely disintegrated haha I’ll have another look tonight, I’m just concerned if I do adjust the crank position so the original tdc dot lines up with gearbox arrow, and re align the distributor, the piston will actually be slightly before tdc when it sparks. That can’t be right can it? I thought it shouldn’t spark until the piston is fully at the top of its travel? Maybe I’m wrong and the spark fires just before the piston reaches the top but that just doesn’t sound right to me?

8. Tristan

The spark occurs before the piston is at TDC, that's why it's known as ignition advance.

9. Leafheadmk2 New Member

Ah ok so I guess my crank does need to move back a tooth and it’s just me being stupid ooops sorry guys I assumed the tdc dot on the flywheel indicated the piston was as high as it could possibly be, think that’s where i went wrong. Plus the fact it sounds ok when running I also assumed it would run like crap if it was a tooth out! I’ll align the cam and crank with the factory marks, reset the distributor onto its mark and report back! Fingers crossed I don’t make anything worse lol I’ve read these are non interference engines, it’s a good job I can’t do too much damage haha

10. Leafheadmk2 New Member

Well I’ve lined up the tdc dot on the flywheel and crank pulley notch and moved the camshaft forward one tooth, and it still works! I’m pretty sure it sounds better and smells better? I realised it’s got a different cam cover maybe the ot marks are in a slightly different place because now the ot mark is slightly off at tdc but the inner dot is much more in line with the head. Managed to get it warmed up and set the dizzy advance too! So pretty happy everything’s right now. Thanks for all your help guys! Who’d have thought using manufacturers settings would work?! XD

Tristan likes this.
  11. Tristan

Lol.

I tell all my customers, there's no such thing as a stupid question, if you don't know the answer.