2.0 agg gearbox (020) removal support ? Special tools ?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mrglee, Apr 25, 2020.

1. mrglee Forum Member

Only ever replace a clutches on mantas (rwd) before never done a fwd so something new.
    Support: don't like spending money on tools I probably never use again going to get an engine hoist in the future but times are hard at the moment so where do I support the engine without a beam?
    Special tools: locking the flywheel?
    Going to replace the crank seal as it looks like the cause of the bad clutch anything else I should replace or look at while I'm in there ?
    Will I be able to man handle the gearbox out and in (how much does it weigh )
    Anything else you think I should know?.

2. davidut5 Forum Member

You need 2 supports under the engine, one floor jack for the gearbox, not an easy job for one guy. I used on the flywheel a long 19mm socket wedged between one gearbox bolt and the teeth from flywheel. I have removed engine/gearbox a lot on my mk2.
    If you want to replace the seals on the gearbox now its a good idea(i replaced mine and they still leak), also flywheel bolts are one time use and need thread lock. Torque is 60nm +90" for flywheel(not easy with engine wobbling all over) and 20nm on the pressure plate m8, these bolts are 12 spline 9mm.

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

can cobble something up to fit over the turrets/wing tops...bit of stout wood and some padding so it doesnt mark the paint , then support the engine weight on that via a chain or ratchet strap

need a 9mm 12 point for the flywheel bolts iirc ...not rare but not everyone has one (same pattern as a spanner)

4. mrglee Forum Member

Cheers guys decided to buy an engine crane for support as will need one anyway to get the engine out of the manta and will need it for other projects have 6&12 point sockets so all tooled up.
    Is there a clutch release bearing ?.

5. davidut5 Forum Member

AGG i had was like mk2, in the gearbox end, under the green round cap.
    Cant find it anywhere in etka, only shows newer style without pushrod.:o

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

7. davidut5 Forum Member

Thats where i looked, and nothing.

Attached Files:

• agg.jpg
      agg.jpg
      File size:
      316.1 KB
      Views:
  8. rubjonny

gosy = syncro, look under 'go' = golf ;)

9. mrglee Forum Member

Again cheers everyone got all parts I need ordered looked into getting an engine crane but delivery delays are too long and I need to get this done asap as slipping In third gear now with very little throttle.
    So where exactly do I support the engine from underneath (sump pan) do I need to support the whole engine weight or just just near to the gearbox end ?.

10. rubjonny

anywhere under the pan is fine just has to be secure. an alternative is jack the engine up off the mounts and run a big bar across the top of the engine, loop straps round it thru the lifting eye on the head to hold it up. can get proper engine support bars for this but good bit o wood will do you

11. mrglee Forum Member

Can the clutch to flywheel bolts be reused with a bit of thread lock.if not or best to replace part number ?.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  12. davidut5 Forum Member

I have used them again no problem, but is not ideal. O whait, those you can reuse no problem. The ones to crank need replacing as they are tti bolts (torque to yield).

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  13. rubjonny

the smaller 12 clutch to flywheel bolts can be re-used, dont need threadlock just follow correct sequence and torque. its the big 6 to the crank you shouldnt re-use

14. mrglee Forum Member

OK thanks have a new set of flywheel to crank bolts still waiting on the crank seal then I can get this done.