2.0 bottom end, 1800 head. Race Cam?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jono395, Dec 1, 2008.

1. jono395 Forum Member

losing the plot:lol:... the firing order on this cam is 1-2-4-3....... very weird.. i tried 1.2.4.3

but i always thought VW cam timing was 1-3-4-2 ???[:s]

tried twisting the dizzy to where it sounds smoother.. but when i driven it today.... it may be the cam timing out by 1 tooth like you guys suggested??

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

try an compare the cam to vw one. i dont know of any engine that fires in that order? try swapping the leads around, you may find you have some power after all!

if you have the leads on in that order regardless of cam timing its wrong

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sounds like you were going the wrong way round the dizzy... 8v dizzy moves clockwise, and No1 should be about 11 o'clock, but it can vary a bit.

Go outside and see if you can find the plot again ;)

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

if the leads are on that way around, 2 and 3 are firing on the exhaust stroke

5. jono395 Forum Member

the leads are right.. i went outside, swapped 2 and 3 cylinder.. and then it backfired out the carb....

when i was checkin it out i found the leads go anti clockwise...as i havent touched the dizzy, ht leads or the order on the head i presumed it was correct as its always ran fine before...... maybe the guy before me put the order wrong... going anti clockwise.. as my leads go anti clockwise on the dizzy cap???..[:s]... i thought the gti lump goes clockwise??

its currently 1-2-4-3 **weird** ... and runs on ALL 4.. and its normal untill half throttle... weird or what! :lol:.. the same ignition map on the other engines, it ran fine... [xxx] argh what a brain ache!! [xxx]

*********EDIT EDIT EDIT:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::********

"mike" I DIDNT SEE YOUR POST...:lol: ..... looking at which way the leads go round the dizzy its anticlockwise......

but.. to make it more weird for you.... get this!:lol: ..

1-2-4-3 going anti clockwise!!![:s] and running pretty good....well weird:lol:.. and if it spins clockwise... they would fire in the order of... 3-4-2-1...... and i havent EVER touched the order of the leads.. EVER!!! i swear!!:lol:...

ill sort them out 1-3-4-2 in the clockwise position tommorrow... then ill let you know what happens!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Nor me, on anything :lol:

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

You really are losing it, laddie.

Start at No. 1. Go anti-clockwise 1-2-4-3 - "It's a disaster!!"

But schtopppp... this disashter isn't ready yet!!

Start at No. 1, don't move the leads... go clockwise. 1-3 was last, so if you go the other way it's next ... then-4 and then 2 - making 1-3-4-2!

It's a miracle - Barack Obama has only been in the job 5 minutes and he's already fixed your plug leads - Hallelujah!!!

Give up the skunk, Jono. It's frying your brain.

8. jono395 Forum Member

nahhh i know exactly where the ignition problem is... i figuered that out a while ago... timing on the dizzy is the easiest thing ! BTW..... barrack obama FTW...;)

and i have been outside and changed it, hence why i havent replied on here!:lol:

so ive found a way where it runs anti clockwise, 1243.. OH YESS[8D] haha

and like i said, i never changed it, from when i brought the engine with it setup like that... and the other engines ran amazing with it:lol:..

ive now changed it to how its ment to be.. and it runs no diferent... has the beans down low. then nothing on 2nd choke...:(

any other ideas..??

and im not losing the plot on the ignition thing.... thats easy common sense:lol:... the brainache is why it stumbles after half throttle..[:s]

it never did this on previous engines, with the ignition running anti clockwise or not....:lol:

9. GVK

Surely the only way that you could run the engine with the leads on incorrectly is because you've got the intermediate shaft timing completely wrong.

10. jono395 Forum Member

no its been timed up correctly there.... and its obviously worked backwards... i didnt twist the dizzy to tweak the timing an awful lot either:lol:.. thats why i never questioned the way the leads went.... untill i thought about it when i had to much spare time..:lol:

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

something isnt right.

12. jono395 Forum Member

:lol:... i gathered:lol:.. well, at least my ignition leads are in the right order, even though it hasnt made a difference in the running of it....

i reckon you should try it, just to satisfy urself that it works:p.. its quite intresting TBH

and, today ive adjusted the dizzy AGAIN.. to try and get it to have power, but it doesnt seem to have any after half throttle..

do you reckon it could be cambelt timing? ive lined up the marks on the cam pulley.. and it lines up with that drilled hole on the crank pulley... i dont want to take it off if its not this... too much hassle!:lol:

ill ask EZpete.. it may be something that hes heard of....

13. GVK

Think about what you've just written.

Back to basics, if the cam timing or the intermediate shaft timing is incorrect , whatever you do with the plug leads or twisting the dizzy, ain't going to fix it, is it? :lol:

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

What drilled hole in the crank pulley? Use the flywheel to establish TDC, as pulleys can twist over time, due to the rubber insert in them.

Check the cam timing again, then the ignition timing, and if that doesn't sort it, start thinking about air leaks, or cleaning out the carb. I assume you're trying to do this with the air filter back on it?

15. jono395 Forum Member

ok, ill go on the flywheel TDC.. which is what i should of done 1st time round!:lol:

and on the auxillary drive belt crank pulley there is a small hole on the front isnt there..

ill do the timing on the flywheel - cam tomorrow.. hoping that it will be this..

and err, no i havent got the air filter back on it yet.... i never really had it on.....ever[:$]

another reason why i think the timing may be out a tooth or 2, is because when starting on cold.. i still get a couple of petrol sprays coming out of the carb.. would this mean its retarded 1 or 2 teeth, or advanced 1 or 2 teeth on the camshaft pulley?

cheers

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Not on mine, but someone could have easily added it, or some of them might have been different out of the factory.

All the ones I've seen have a little notch on the edge of the aux pulley. Some of them have had a hole in them, but it wasn't the timing mark (I think)

17. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

hi... newbie first post

been having similar probs with with my pb digi so went out to check the leads.

set it to tdc using flywheel + screwdriver down plughole 1, took my dizzy cap off
    and rotor is pointing to line on casing which sits below pluglead 1 so all good...

except line on casing is at 2 o'clock?!? looking in haynes its like entire dizzy is turned
    clockwise 60deg although cant see why this would effect how it runs so long as rotor
    hits lead 1 at piston 1 tdc.... gunna check aux pulley mark at weekend take it from
    there

guessing thats what you meant by small hole on front of aux pulley... punch mark that lines up with notch on crank fan belt pulley.
    read in other posts that aux pulley is same part number as cam pulley, and therefore has punch mark front and rear. apparently with certain amount of talent its possible to fit them back to front... leaving you with marks that are a mile out so be worth checking thats while your there.

also gutted to read bout your 2e bottom end... thinkin o doin same so had been followin thread for while.

18. jono395 Forum Member

oh no mike, you put doubts in my mind haha.... i couldnt see a notch on the top.. i had one with the notch on the top before though... sso i know what you mean

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sounds like the last person who did the cam timing didn't get the intermediate shaft lined up properly. You're right that as long as the ignition still goes off at the right point, it doesn't matter.

By Aux Pulley, I think Jono means the one on the end of the crank, but maybe you're right...

....and welcome to the monkey house....

20. jono395 Forum Member

yeh the one that has the alternator belt on... which loops round the pulley on the crank ;)

im at college tomorrow untill 5 so wont be able to do this until friday afternoon..:(

dubdemon: if you decide to do the 2.0 bottom end, replace oil filter.. and get the oil pressure checked.... hopefully you wont be as unfortunate as me....