2.0 tfsi engine failure

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by rickygolf83, Jul 2, 2017.

1. rickygolf83 Forum Member

Hi All,

I have a mk4 1.8t, mk4 gt tdi 130, mk2 16v and a 2.0 8v, but mk5's aren't my strong point!

My friends 2005 MK5 gti (99k) failed to start during the week, and on inspection it appears that the engine will only turn (by hand) a 1/4 turn either way then the pistons touch the valves.

Garage cant explain why this is happening. They fitted a timing belt and pump 18mths ago and the timing chain and tensioner last autumn. All using genuine parts.

without being cynical and doubting their work, is this timing related? they advise all seems well with the timing on either side.

Engine Room in Motherwell guesstimate a possible bent crank, quoting 3k for a rebuild.

Does anyone;

A) Know with the symptoms detailed above if the diagnosis is accurate or what it could be?

B) where would you recommend to take on the work / strip down to diagnose and repair in central Scotland

C) where would you recommend for an exchange engine to be supplied and fitted up here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as mega bucks repairs are on the cards either way.

cheers!

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Timing has slipped, recheck timing on belt end and chain then compression check

3. rickygolf83 Forum Member

Thanks, its being taken to main dealer tomorrow for investigation and potentially pursuing a claim for damage from the independent if proven that parts fitted have failed.

4. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

I doubt you will have a claim to pursue after 18 months tbh, get costings from garage incase they want to charge the earth

5. rickygolf83 Forum Member

Are genuine parts not 24mth warranty?

If not, hopefully its the chain thats let go.

Thank god it's not my car!

Thanks again

6. rickygolf83 Forum Member

Main dealer has confirmed timing is fine and none of the associated parts have failed to cause the symptoms detailed above.....

7. rickygolf83 Forum Member

Oil pump has disintegrated and the drive chain snapped. Think i'll stick to mk2's and mk4's lol

8. 10mm socket Paid Member Paid Member

What's salvageable?

9. rickygolf83 Forum Member

They recommend new engine. I have asked him to ask them to pour the contents of the oil filter through filter paper to look for metallic particles

If doesnt look too bad, price up oil pump, chain and new pick up pipe.

Then a few oil changes with engine flush through it over the coming weeks if it lives lol