2.1 8v engine build

Discussion in '8-valve' started by stytrhe, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Without wishing to use my current build as a comparison, I have a 2E bottom end decked to give 11.5:1 on 'standard' pistons mated to a Eurospec 8V head,
    schrick 276 (then after initial mapping Gs6 ) on 45 ITB's and SEM.
    Reasoning was, cheap bottom end, some machining (deck and piston tops/tails) mega 8V head and ITB's/ SEM to pull it all together.
    This may help, or not, but if VW standard / modified stuff can be made to work, who needs bragging rights?
    Jon

drunkenalan likes this.
  2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the head came complete from an old slick 50/ vw cup car, the block is a TSR 1900.

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I've got a solution for your pistons Ross based on the recent 2ltr ones I've done. There's enough room to move the pin up to bring the piston down to allow for the longer diesel stroke.

I can also get the bore size done in various sizes to get close to your desired 2.1. My personal choice wouldn't be to go as far as 83.5 as it's a bit snug in the 1800 blocks. 83mm would be fine to give 2067cc, so still 2.1 but more reliable. I can also have them done just under 83.5 to allow them to fit inside the easy available ABF head gasket and achieve just over 2080cc.

Will message you full details.

Jason

erreesse likes this.
  4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Interesting, relocating the gudgeon pin centre in the piston?
    Jon

5. stytrhe Forum Member

Cheers Mr Hillclimber. Look forward to the specs.

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Holy thread revival. I am 'learning' about what bits fit together for a long (diesel) stroker 2L tall block. Specifically pistons.
    Mr H: Is there a VW piston that allows for the stroke increase (nearly, close etc) from 92.8 to 95.5mm?
    Or, more likely, the std 8V piston is used and just deck etc to get the compression height right (2.7/2 is only 1.35mm..)
    If so, a bit of clearancing and a 1Y crank will drop straight in, to say a 2E? Needing nothing really other than some
    tweeks to the CR.
    X shaft: Does the dizzy drive cog need a lot of material removing? (from the cog width..)
    These will be obvious questions to someone who has built one, I'm sure...
    Jon

7. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Hi Jon

An oversize STD comp height 2ltr tall block piston will cope with the small stroke increase from 92.8 to 95.5, but not sure on availability without checking. Many oversize pistons are NLA now....supply and demand etc. There's no short comp height 2ltr (82.5/83mm) piston available anymore for converting into std height 1800 or short height 2ltr blocks, unless they've been re manufactured in the last 12 months since I last checked.
    Drive cog clearance could be ok but some clearance maybe needed near the oil pump shaft boss...it did on the DX I fitted a 2ltr crank into but could well clear on the tall block.

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

thanks
    Jon