2004 16v Polo - keeps cutting out.

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by Gup16v, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Gup16v Forum Member

my friend has a 2004 16v polo which keeps cutting out.

the thing is it only happens when its wet :S so i think its shorting somewhere.

we used a code checker and cleared ecu faults..something do with the EGR Valve..

fault code list

16786 - exh gas resicurclation
    17808 - EGU valve electrical malfunction
    17912 - intake air system bypass

after clearing the codes, nothing else got reported so i dont think its anything to do with the EGR valve..

the symptoms of the car are

hesitation
    cuts out..
    the car is also hunting

injectors ok
    spark plugs changed
    coil pack ok as sparking when attached to plug. (giving a white purple spark)

any ideas guys ??

thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

id change the plug leads (if it has them?) also dont cound on coil being ok if it bench tests fine, particularly if problms occur when damp. they can work fine when dry but allow moisture to get inside and fail when wet. sometimes you can fix them by leaving in the airing cupboard overnight then sealing up any splits or seams with sealant. I'd still be on the lookout for a new genuine coilpack, sometimes they come up cheap on ebay. leads only buy genuine, bosh or beru

3. Gup16v Forum Member

is there anything you dont know!!! haha only messing.

thanks again...

the coilpacks got changed for bosch ones, so i was told anyway.

im just wondering if the EGR valve has anything to do with it? or did that just throw a fault because of the unburnt fuel?

which as you say maybe because of a naff coil pack.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

maybe if its sticking or leaking it could cause a problem? not sure if you can do this but you might be able to disconnect it from the inlet and cap off the hole to rule it out? these cars are a bit modern for me :lol:

the EGR removal blank is a common mod on some, not sure on the ins and outs of it on your model

5. Gup16v Forum Member

yeah it could be, but EGR valve only helps the engine run better. im sure it doesnt stop it from running at all..

they had the coilpacks changed and i think atm all roads lead down to them not being right. it just sounds like its only firing on two atm. And on one occassion we could smell fuel being dumped out the exhaust.

will keep everyone posted incase others have similar problems..

Thanks again R.J