20vt conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Ditchyboy, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Right, i have been collecting parts and ideas for a 20v conversion with the idea of doing a BAM conversion, problem is they are extra expensive and seem rarer. This week i have seen an AGU at a decent price with everything (or pretty much anyway) that has got me thinking, if i get the AGU and do the conversion so i can have some fun and get it on the road could i then just swap it over if i source a good price BAM otherwise i could be waiting forever for a bargain BAM! I have been thinking about the parts and as far as i can tell as long as my rad, intercooler, clutch and flywheel are good enough i will not need to replace them plus Qpeng have said that they would remap the ecu for free so thats that covered, the only problem i can think of is the qpeng downpipe but i could sell the Ko3 downpipe and put the money towards the KO4 version. i will also be doing my brakes to a good enough standard for 260bhp. anyone see any problems or any ideas that i might wanna consider?! all help / opinions appreciated.

cheers

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

There would be no point in doing the conversion with an AGU, only to swap to a BAM later on. They`re not that special...just happen to be the highest powered factory unit.

Upgrading the AGU to KO4 turbo, higher flow injectors, and Qpeng free re-map and downpipe, later down the line would be sufficient.

3. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Fit the AGU and a K03s turbo which will produce around 230bhp. The k03s uses the same oil/water and exhaust pipes as the k03.

4. Ditchyboy Forum Member

so is it as easy as swapping the injectors, turbo and downpipe? surely there is more to it than that? What kind of extra cost would that add, because i have found a BAM for about 350 - 400 more than an AGU, is that going to be a cheaper way than upgrading in the future, i think going straight for the BAM would be better for me personally because i can hopefully just get it running and then not need to mess around with it after.

all opinions welcome

cheers

5. Collie Forum Junkie

Go agu with k03s, 230 is plenty in a mk2 chassis.

have a look on uk-mkivs.net there is a full set up for 1k includes engine clocks keys ecu etc etc.

6. Ditchyboy Forum Member

upgrading AUQ

Just wondering what needs upgrading to run a KO4 from a BAM engine? I have been told turbo and injectors but although i dont know a lot think that there must be more to it than that. If you could let me know parts i would need and the rough cost of upgrading that would be great. Just something i would possibly do in the future.

cheers

7. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Turbo plus all the associated pipework, downpipe (qpeng is your best bet), turbo inlet pipe, injectors (TT 225 ones will be fine if you're going to 270bhp).

8. Ditchyboy Forum Member

so what kind of cost would that be do you reckon? probably a 2nd hand turbo though!would only want 270 bhp really with 2 maps if qpeng.

9. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Try and get the pipes with the turbo. Injectors about 150? Qpeng downpipe 200, Forge TIP 130 IIRC.

10. Ditchyboy Forum Member

i was wondering if anyone could help. I would like some info on what clutch and flywheel i should be using, not exactly sure what bhp yet but want them both to be good for 270-280bhp to be on the safe side. Would lightening and balancing the recommended flywheel be worth doing? also heard mixed reviews on what rad to fit, was thinking of G60 with slim twin fans. any good or too small? i dont really want to be cutting any of the slam panel or front, prefer easy fitment.

cheers

11. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Standard dual mass clutch and flywheel will be fine, although it's a bit heavy. Lightening the flywheel gives you quicker revving, but no more power.

Corrado VR6 radiator fits straight in to the stock Mk2 Golf slam panel. I run twin 13" fans that I got from www.merlinmotorsport.com

12. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I'm also running a Corrado VR6 rad with twin fans. Direct fit.
    I also used a Rallye intercooler as it is also a direct fit.

13. Admin Guest

doesn't it depend on what box you use?

DM is for the 02J

SM is for the 02A

14. Mook

Mook Forum Member

BAM (as in Ditchy's original post) has DM as standard, IIRC. What I should have said was that the standard clutch and flywheel will be fine (as long as you're not doing traffic light GPs :p

15. Ditchyboy Forum Member

but for AUQ with 02a box would that be single mass? i wanted to know about BAM as i want that in the end but the engine that looks most likely at the mo as i have found one is a AUQ. cheers for info on the rad and fans guys. I had heard that a VR6 or G60 clutch would be ok with a 02a 228mm flywheel.

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

G60 Corrado flywheel, and standard LUK VR6 clutch should do you fine. :thumbup:

17. Ditchyboy Forum Member

20v conversion fuel pump

Hi i have just got myself a mk3 16v fuel tank and pump as i have been told that it is good enough to run a AUQ skoda octavia engine but since i have got it i have ben told that a V6 pump will be better, is there enough difference to bother about buying another new pump?

cheers

18. b5byt Paid Member Paid Member

What power are you looking to run ?

19. Mook

Mook Forum Member

What injectors as well? Do you need increased pressure?

20. Ditchyboy Forum Member

thinking of originally running whatever i can get from a AUQ with remap, exhaust, filter etc. will be standard injectors, KO3s turbo etc. U have been told about 220bhp.

cheers