270 cam in 8v driver

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Mk2 driver 1800, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Hi everybody i have a mk2 vw golf 1.8 driver from 1991 it has a 4.2.1 manifold a 2.5 stainless exhaust and weber 32 34 with k@n filter i was hoping to fit an autotech 270 hydraulic cam aswell as i think this would really wake it up i asked on the vw heritage site and they said it will only fit a gti which seems strange as a gti cam is popular mod to carry out on the driver is this true i was also hopeing to put the cam on without removing head and changeing lifters and springs as the cam swap on its own seems quite straight forward would this be ok or result in a breakdown any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Can't see any probs with what you are proposing, you may want to fit an adjustable pulley to check the lifts at TDC as well.
    Cam lube on and 15 mins at 2000rpm first
    Jon

3. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Thanks for the reply i will look into the adjustable pulley excited to give this a go as it seems so easy to do.

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Bit locktight on top bolt
    Take it slowly, don't rush..
    Let us know how you get on
    Jon

5. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Ok well finally decided to get this cam a month ago now and fitted it 2 weeks ago unfortunately ended up pulling the tensioner bolt out of the block and had issues with the timing me and 2 mates have just spent a good 2 days working on it ended up taking engine of mounts to drill the head and fit a helicoil then spent time getting it timed up right well having drove it a few miles I was shocked at the difference it's made now pulls much harder and the power doesn't drop of like it used to it's essentially turned a slow boring car into something genuinely fast and fun to drive and it has a nice lumpy idle which sounds cool Other mods carried out include 4x1 manifold with cheap Chinese stainless exhaust k&n airfilter de hedgehoged inlet manifold and a weber 32 34 carb.

6. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

I also used a stock pulley and timing Mark's in the end as it was looking a bit pricey all in one go seems to run spot on tho.

7. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Has the 270 cam really have a big gain.
    I've got a 1.8 driver auto and thinking of doing this also with a gti manifold downpipe
    &system.what do you reckon the gain is.
    Ive already got a weber on.
    Is yours a manual.not sure how it would be on an auto.
    Might add a bit of fun to a boring ish auto.