Steering Rack Golf 2

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Chtelain, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Chtelain New Member

Hi all,

Sorry for my english. I'm a french guy.

I have a problem with my steering rack TRW on my golf 2. It's OEM.
    I have a new steering rack coming toledo. I'm not sure. It comes that from that a German seller (ebay) who sells second-hand. It's complicated.

Now, I have a ZF steering rack, with one cardan. It misses that the part which goes on the bottom of the column.

Can you help me ? :cry:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

try the upper half and connecting part off a mk3 golf, it will probably fit :thumbup:

for RHD we use the complete MK3 UJ no problem when fitting later type racks into a MK2, I'm just not 100% if the same is true for LHD

3. Chtelain New Member

marker 16 and 18 ??

[​IMG]

What did you use like oil for power steering rack for your old golf 2 ? Green oil VW or red ATF ?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  4. rubjonny

yep those are the bits you need :)

since its a later style rack it'll probably have been running on the green fluid, so I would go for that. is there any fluid left in the pipes so you can see what colour it was?

the seals can 'get used' to the fluid they have been running on and leak if you change it apparently. I think its more of a problem if you try to run older mk2 racks that were runnign red fluid before on the new green though as its a bit thinner. I know my mate put a mk2 rack in his car and tried to use green, despite me telling him to use red. it leaked :lol:

5. Chtelain New Member

If I understand. Your friend use green oil on mk2 rack. The rack has runs away then ?

When I bouht my car since 2008, I change the rack (Another TRW rack from golf 2 maybe toledo) The rack since 1995 with reference 191 422 055 F. I use ATF red oil trough 2015. Oil leakage from passenger. RHD for you lol
    I change the rack last year (Another TRW rack 191 422 055 F). I use green oil on the refurb rack (change O-Ring). I bought this one like this ;) I drove about 2000 kilometer and the same problem :( Bad loose.

I read a green oil vw is mineral oil and red oil ATF is synthetic oil. This last damage the O-Ring. Have you got the same information about oil or it's mistake ?

Thanks for all ;)

6. rubjonny

from around 1990-ish VW switched to the green fluid in the Golf, so ideally you need to try and find out what the rack was running originally and keep using it. but if you were to buy a new seal kit from VW or have the rack refurbished then it should run fine on either fluid.

it may be though as you say older type seals get damaged when run on the synthetic fluid, if your rack was refurbished using an old stock seal kit then that could explain why it failed?

I should have checked earlier but just had a look and 3A1422055F is replaced by 3A1422061F/FX this one is only listed to fit the VW passat VR6, 16v and 81KW TDI, so looks to be a 'sport rack' which is nice. This one needs seal kit part number 3A0498020, been NLA for a while but you may be above to find one

with the joint you may find the mk3 one doesnt fit if you have a passat lower, as both parts are different part numbers on the passat to mk3. if you were to get a complete joint though it should fit fine, just have to watch out as the very early mk3 up to around jan 92 has a different spline on the TRW rack to the late/ZF ones. prob struggle to find one that early when scrappy hunting but just thought it was worth mentioning :lol:

7. Chtelain New Member

I see this information. But I don't want change the joint kit. The ZF rack use green oil ;)

191 422 055 F => 191 422 061 FX
    1H0 422 055 F => 1H0 422 061 FX
    3A1 422 055 F => 3A1 422 061 FX

TRW =ZF. It's the same society

What did you mean ? You spoke about the lower UJ ? I have 1H0 419 955

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  8. rubjonny

ok, if the zf rack had green oil originally then keep using it :thumbup:

Ah so the lower half of the UJ you have is 1h0419955? if so thats mk3, so any mk3 upper half will work fine :)

9. Chtelain New Member

10. rubjonny

thats the one, over here it woudl be a 'pocket purchase' from local scrap yard but depends if you have any decent ones local!

11. Chtelain New Member

Yes it's possible to local scrap. I'm too cold lol and I'm not sure if it's possible to bought this parts only. I look for another parts but golf 2 don't current.

12. rubjonny

thats true, no way I'd want to be climbing over cars in this kind of weather :lol:

13. Chtelain New Member

lol

-7C at this morning :cry:

14. rubjonny

was a balmy -6 over here on the way to work :lol:

15. Chtelain New Member

I receive another power steering rack. The german seller had made a mistake. He finally understood his mistake. It's so difficult to explain the difference betwwen both parts (trw vs ZF).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

From top to bottom

ZF passat maybe 17,5mm 22 tooth
    TRW Toledo 1L diameter 17,5mm 22 tooth
    TRW OEM Golf 2 diameter 18,5 36 tooth

Simply put, I bought a power steering rack of toledo 1L to instal on my golf. But I received a power steering rack of Passat.

The gimbaled

Passat ZF
    Toledo 1L
    Golf 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just have to find a tie rod ZF. They are different from TRW.

[​IMG]

I went up that of Toledo in the final. I can go up that of passat when I shall have find tie rod ZF.

rubjonny likes this.
  16. rubjonny

Very nice post, many thanks for the detailed pictures :thumbup:

17. Chtelain New Member

Thanks ;)

It's strange. The steering rack TRW is different but the reference is the same => 191 422 055 F.
    The splined shaft of the sttering rack has no same diameter and not the same number of teeth. It's amazing.

I must have to make photos of tie rod between ZF and TRW. Diameter is not the same, There is retaining wall on ZF tie rod and length of threading is more tall in memory.

18. rubjonny

be nice to have, I always wondered what the differences were exactly, just for reference. I knew they were different but not sure how. hard to find out here as we never got ZF stuff as for RHD it was always TRW make

19. Chtelain New Member

Ok.

Even on golf 3 passat 32 B or other ? Only TRW in UK ?

I saw that TRW and ZF is the same company now.

I have no date on the rack of the toledo. But on that of golf, I have the year 1995. I had changed it in 2008 and it came from the local scrap.

20. rubjonny

Yeah the RHD racks were only made by TRW, so thats one less headache for us I suppose :lol:

I assume the golf one must have been re-manufactured unit as its got the pre-92 36 tooth spline on it? Passat changed about the same tiem as the mk3, but the upper and lower ujs are different part numbers I assume due to how the column is setup or something, or just down to the design of the joint between the 2 halves it looks a bit different in etk to the mk3 version though that doesnt always mean anything...

passat uj may still fit mk2 though?