2E crossflow build

Discussion in '8-valve' started by George HH, Jan 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. George HH Forum Member

may as well put this up - comments welcome!

[​IMG]

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

thats a cracking result,

Is it internally standard other than the cam and the skimmed head? hope my car makes similar figures after all the work in the engine!

3. George HH Forum Member

totally standard that i know of, didnt even touch the bottom end other than checking it over and fitting the baffled sump. it had been sat in a garage gathering cobwebs for a while and i picked up the whole 2E engine for 50 quid with unknown history, oil pressure seems very good on it too.
    surely on megasquirt with some headwork etc these sort of figures will be low compared to yours i'd imagine drunkenalan, how far off is it from being ready for the rollers?

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

its coming! just need to book a day off work... ill keep you all informed!

5. George HH Forum Member

Got back from the shakedown roadtrip to the ring last night.
    The mk2 was great fun and gotta say i had waaay more fun ragging the 8v around than i had with the (30v!) S4 last year. Pulls well throughout the revs to redline and really surprised my mates i went out with in a variety of more powerful motors. Got more confident on track this time and my passenger actually timed a couple of laps which we never did in the audi last time avoiding the temptation to chase times. Couple of problems noticed got a small weep of oil from the crankshaft pulley seal and looks like when having it hard at high revs mate behind noticed couple of blue puffs from exhaust so maybe bottom end rebuild over winter for the trackslag, whole 2E engine was 50 so cant complain considering didnt rebuild it first. I [l] my 8v.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Starting to have a bit of interest in a crossflow build, wanting to do something similar to the ABA like the US guys use.

I've seen similar looking heads on some mk3 1.6s and am curious if anything on our side of the pond has an ABA type head.

7. George HH Forum Member

i had an APK engine from a mk4 few years back crossflow 2.0 i believe, this head is ABA that i got for peanuts and shipped over with a load of other bits. think some of the other guys on here have used 1.6 crossflow heads though.

8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Is the 1.6 crossflow head the same? I know the inlet looks the same from the brief look I had at it but internally are they any different. I guess the ABA might be better flowing?

9. George HH Forum Member

danster and toyotec are the ones to talk to about the differences, think they posted some stuff about them on page 1 of this thread - i dont know really just bolted stuff together that i had kicking about.

10. danster Forum Addict

As George just mentions, this was dealt with on page 1 to a certain extent.
    The 8v crossflow heads do not need the 3 oil drains on the back of the head blocking off as they are not there!
    Toyotec mentioned this as a possibility, but it is not the case from my experience on the 8v crossflow heads. On the 20v it is the case though.

11. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

What I'd be more concerned about is if you wanted to run some form of modified digi set up on it are the injector inserts there or are the heads we get here single point injection?

12. George HH Forum Member

the injectors pop into the manifold rather than the head like a normal PB counterflow head. the mk4 manifold i had ran air shrouded injectors and i binned it, the american mk3 inlet is better. i am running standard PB digi injectors and digi2 on mine using a flange from the states and a mate whos very very handy at welding ally made me a nice inlet manifold to simplify things under the bonnet for this setup. its easy and all i had to do was extend some wiring loom and make up throttle switch trigger for the VR6 throttlebody to work with it. i can only talk from my experience with this ABA head from the states.

13. benthejettaman Forum Member

was it only the oilway that you had to have plugged, cause im sure when i looked into doing this convo a few years back that i would need to block of the egr ports

14. George HH Forum Member

just the one oil drain modified was all. Exhaust gas recirculation ports? didnt come across anything like that during my headscratching.

15. danster Forum Addict

Here are a couple of pics of a crossflow head showing the inlet port with injector cutouts. The injectors are housed in the inlet manifold but protrude into the port in a similar fashion to the KR and ABF 16v engines.

The headgasket face is also visible showing there are no oil holes to the rear needing blocked off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

So a Mk4 crossflow head and a Mk3 ABA manifold would be the best bet? How did such setup compare to a regular 2.0 8v setup that we commonly use here?

17. George HH Forum Member

i dunno but the APK head i had looked the same as the ABA head i am running, theres bound to be a way to use a mk4 inlet manifold with the mk4 air shrouded injectors by blanking them off or something as this is probs easier to find and use, i also didnt like where the throttlebody was going to end up on mk4 inlet.

i'd say the setup i've just done compares to spending a load of cash on a counterflow big valve head and exhaust manifold etc but i havent yet! the crossflow must flow better. but if i'd paid full whack for my inlet it would probs be up there with the prices of BVH's on a counterflow.

over the winter i will probs be pulling the engine again and rebuilding bottom end properly so may spend out and get some lightening and balancing of crankshaft done also i'd like to fit a decent LSD, exhaust manifold and aftermarket ECU...........and NOS two of the big ones :lol:

18. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Sounds good, I might speak to a couple of guys I know on VWVortex and see if they can get me an ABA head at some point, I know one of them wants an ABF really badly so I might try and get him the bits he needs to build his own one in exchange.

Funny how we want what they have and they want what we have.

19. George HH Forum Member

may have to bring the exhaust manifold plan forward as i have a growing hairline crack on the centre two branches on the PB cast manifold. So what is considered better for torque 4-1 or 4-2-1 exhaust manifolds? what bore pipes are generally best? comon Danster lets see how much more this set up has!

20. danster Forum Addict

I thought you had a 4 branch on it already.:lol:
    This just gets better and better!
    Reckon a 4-2-1 manifold will help retain the torquey characteristics of the engine. All the 4-1 manifolds I have seen have vastly different primary lengths, and the chances of you landing lucky with the correct one is marginal. The lengths are dependent on so many factors that the safe bet would be 4-2-1 in my opinion.:thumbup: