2L 8v conversion - bottom ends

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JamesB, Jun 20, 2005.

1. JamesB Forum Member

Right, I have looked at the conversion details in the engine FAQ section but just need a couple of things clearing up.

Firstly, which of these...2E, AGG, ABA, 3a, AWG, AWF...is the best/easiest block to use and what car is it found in? Presumably, the tall blocks require more modding to get them to fit?

Secondly, does the gearbox, mounts etc all go straight on without any problems?

Thirdly, im currently running a mk2 8v digi, will I have to change anything regarding the dizzy at all?

Cheers

2. t_r_d Forum Member

bottom ends you would want to use are the agg variety as you can get
    hem easily and they are normally low milage as they are from late cars.
    but they do sit about 17mm higher iirc(?)

as for box, either use the new bottom ends flywheel/clutch/gearbox
    combination or transfer it from your old bottom end.

dizzy is the same on a digi

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

AGG or 2E are the preferable bottom ends out of the mk3 tall blocks. Be mindful that whichever you use will need a 2E distributor to match up with the mk2 digi loom....

Go for the bottom end with the least miles on it & minimal lip around the top of the bores.. ;)

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It's not the loom, it's the dizzy flange and gear size... 3A is the same. You can get an adaptor ring and gear to use your own dizzy, if you need....

5. Mr V Wagon Forum Member

The 3A would be the best 2.0 to use as it is the same height as the 1.8 you have. But its the least common. 2E and AGG engines are the most common but may give you strut brace/exhaust manifold clearance problems. Use your standard gearbox and clutch if youre looking at just a straight bottom end swap but if youre getting any head work or bigger valves a performance clutch may be needed, 140ish bhp is usually the the standard 8V clutch limit.

Use your standard digifant dizzy with an adapter ring and bigger gear off TSR. You will also need to block off the 2 breather holes in the block as the breathing is all done on the rocker cover.

6. VR6Will Forum Member

i used a mk3 dizzy, is the correct size for the 3a block and plugs striaght into the digi loom [:D]

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

2E is slightly easier than other tall blocks, as it already has the right dizzy, and no crank sensor hole to block up.

If you fit a 16v(or TD) solid front engine mount, then that tilts the engine back a wee bit more, and should remove any clearance problems - with a std exhaust anyway - and I've heard it works with some 4-branch manifolds (depends on the type). You'll need the stiffer front mount anyway, to hold the engine in place with the extra torque.

You can leave the other mounts as standard, but on an older car (and a Mk2 is definitely getting on a bit) you're better to change the other mounts if they haven't been done in living memory. New standard ones will do nicely, unless you're going for a fairly extreme setup.

ADY is another engine code that you can use - basically the same as a 2E with an added crank sensor.

If you get an engine with a crank sensor, make sure you get the old crank sensor to block up the hole (and don't throw it out like I did !!) It doesn't need to be connected to anything.

8. JamesB Forum Member

Right, so let me get this straight....

Ideally I'd need the short block 3A which is found in the Audi 80. This will work with the current dizzy I already have. Is it found in any other cars?

If that isn't posible, a tall block (either the 2E or AGG) out of a mk3 golf is what I need although this may need some minor mods to fit correctly. For this to fit I will need eiether the 2E dizzy or an adapter ring from TSR and use my current dizzy?

Alternativly I can use a ADY engine but make sure i keep the crank sensor in place. What car is this from?

Have I got everything correct there?!

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

For the 3A OR the 2E you'll need to either use your original dizzy with an adaptor set (spacer and gear), or use a 2E dizzy which is a straight fit. No idea which the ADY comes from, but you'll also need to use a 2E dizzy/original dizzy and adaptor set with it.
    No 2 litre blocks will be a straight fit for your original dizzy on it's own.

10. t_r_d Forum Member

isnt an ady a 2ltr crossflow engine?[:s]

11. JamesB Forum Member

Since discovered that the ADY is the 2 litre out of the 16v corrado. 94-95. So I think it does have a cross flow head.

12. VR6Will Forum Member

16v heads are cross flow anyway....

13. VR6Will Forum Member

APK is 8v x-flow ;)

14. I like the rain Forum Member

Would this be a good budget boost in performance for my:

weber carb
    gti cam
    k&n bolt on
    full straight through exhaust
    gti downpipe

AND ... do u think a decent small garage cud do this?

(can't do this myself i have absolutely no space + probably cock it up)

cheerz
    -Ben

15. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Even a non-decent small garage could do it - it's a piece of piss.....

16. Mr V Wagon Forum Member

Ive got a brand spanking new 2E dizzy that i bought in error for saleif you want it? It a genuine Bosch dizzy;)

Ive done the 2.0 coversion to my MK1 and as my engine doesnt run an ECU, the dizzy advance is controlled by the vacuum unit on the side. So being a wally, i ordered a 2E one to realise - after i bought it - that it was the wrong one for me![:x]

17. t_r_d Forum Member

hey "i like the rain" just do it on your driveway/road. its really easy, did all that to my 1.6(as i said in another post;))

18. paddy2bsure Forum Member

Guys... I've been offered an ABT engine from a '92 Audi 80 2.0E... will this suffice fas a donor? I haven't seen this code mentioned elsewhere, so don't want to commit to it until I know! Many thanks!

19. paddy2bsure Forum Member

bumpety bumpety bump!

20. paddy2bsure Forum Member

Anyone... will an ABT code engine make a good donor for a bottom-end transplant? Please?! [:^(]