2L 8v conversion guide

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JamesB, May 13, 2006.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Having not long done this conversion I wouldn’t bother. The engine is a completely different beast in the MK2 than it is in the MK3. I can only assume that this is down to the better intake and exhaust and of course a lighter car but it goes waaaayyyyy better than it ever did in the MK3.

2. Jake Delgado New Member

Can someone help!?!?

I recently bought a block off of someone who told me it is a 2.0 from a mk3 GTI, however I cant seem to find the engine code and cant verify whether it is a 2.0 or a 1.8 as he gave me a dizzy that came with the block but it looks to small to be a dizzy from a 2.0. Am I using the wrong dizzy or is the engine a 1.8 and i now have the wrong engine?

3. PhilRyder

If you cannot find an engine code on it the best thing to do would be measure the barrels a s best you can and see what spec it matches. I'm sure someone here has a link to barrel specs on VW engines.
    A quick Google shows 82.5mm diameter.

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

block.jpeg

See where it says 1.8, will say 2.0 cast into the block

The actual engine code is on the front of the block on a machined surface at the top nr no3 cylinder, 2E, AGG or whatever for an 8v

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    PhilRyder likes this.
  5. Laim New Member

1.8 = 81mm cylinder bores, 220mm block height.

2.0 = 82.5mm cylinder bores, and 236mm block height if it came from MK3s.

6. Jake Delgado New Member

I have completed the build but I’m having problems getting the car started. I used the AGG bottom end with my standard head, havent had it gasflowed as I couldn’t find anyone around to do it. I have a 270 fast road camshaft, and a 4 branch manifold fitted.
    I have the 2e dizzy so the correct one.
    And I replaced the ecu as i fried the last one so that’s good as well.
    Anyway… the car turns over but it wont start,
    I have it timed up correctly and it’s got fuel and spark but i don’t know if it’s getting enough air.
    I blanked off the crank case breather and wondering whether that’s why it wont start.
    Or is my issue elsewhere, any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Are you sure the cam is timed correctly? Some aftermarket cams and pulleys are marked incorrectly.
    Digifant?

Did you try it with a squirt of Easi Start?

8. Jake Delgado New Member

Hi yes the cam is positioned so the first 2 cams are up and away from each other.
    Yes Digi

also I could get it started if I removed the fuel pump fuse and had my foot flat down on the accelerator to open up the butterfly for air without overfueling it, and I also managed to get it started with a bump start. But it wouldn’t run, if i stopped accelerating it would stall, and this may be unrelated but it also pissed oil from the oil filter housing when I bump started it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
  9. Tristan

Sounds like the oil cooler seal or similar is missing.

Removing the fuse makes no sense unless it's massively overfueling. Are the plugs wet?

10. Jake Delgado New Member

During the conversion I noticed that the mk3 AGG bottom end had a crankshaft position sensor, but my 8v PB bottom end doesn’t.
    Is this needed for the engine to work or can it be deleted.

11. Tristan

Not needed for digi.

12. Mitchell08MK2 New Member

Hello everyone, i hope this thread is still active because i have a small issue, which there probably is an easy for.

I've gone ahead and swapped an AGG engine into my mk2, with a DFQ gearbox. It starts and runs great, however.. my speedometer doesn't work. The DFQ has an plastic gear driven wheel with a sensor on top, but my mk2 speedobox still uses the almighty cable. I tried removing the sensor and just put the plastic wheel in the gearbox with a cable in it, holding it in place with a screw which sat flush in the plastic, but that didn't work, even worse, i don't know what happend, but the grooves on the plastic wheel, had been eaten up completely. Is there another solution to get this to work? (Exept to buy the "famous" conversion box which turns the digital signal into analog or something but that box costs around €300).

I hope some of you can help me out, would be massively appreciated.

(Ps, sorry for my wonky english. Not my first language)

13. PhilRyder

I think you need the red drive cog, is that the one you used?

Mitchell08MK2 likes this.
  14. Mitchell08MK2 New Member

Well yes but actually no.

originally the cog is connected to a sensor (picture 1)

i basically just bought 3 different cogs cause they come with different amounts of grooves. But the one with the right amount that i had, was light green of colour (more like glow in the dark but without the glow haha). If you look at picture 2, that is basically what i used, and the small hole you see there, i just took a drill and drilled it through to the center where the end of the analog cable ends up and screwed a screw in to the keep the cable there, but that didn't seem to work, or it was my fault and i did something wrong, hopefully.

If i search for parts using my VIN, i also have some extended alternative cog? Don't know if this would maybe work? (Picture 3)

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

15. PhilRyder

Your pictures haven’t come out. You need ten posts to be able to post pictures.
    What cable are you using?

16. Mitchell08MK2 New Member

Oh, kind of annoying but awell haha.

Just using the normal cable that comes standard on mk2's but a new one, at least i think. I'd have to take another look tomorrow

17. PhilRyder

I believe you need the cable from a 1.3.
    Hopefully someone else will chime in at some point.

18. PhilRyder

Right, I was wrong above. It’s the 1.6/1.8 cable. Your box is different, we used the O2A that was attached to the AGG engine. This might help, see bottom of page 1
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk3-8v-into-mk2-1-3.291413/

19. Mitchell08MK2 New Member

Thanks for the response,

Well the problem is that i am using a cable for the 1.8. It fits into the cog, but i don't know what happend in the gearbox. Would i need a cog from the 1.8 aswell?

20. PhilRyder

Perhaps @rubjonny can assist with which cog you need.