3.2 24v 4WD Track Corrado, trial build ready for Easter

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PhatVR6, Apr 15, 2004.

1. bens_cab Forum Junkie

thats why they call it laughing gas isnt it lol

some good times there for a vr

2. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

I'll drop my spare controller off tomorrow Phatty for you to play with it has -

Adjustable starter power
    Adjustable build up time
    &
    Adjustable final power

i'm sure you'll hav fun playing with it ! :thumbup:

[​IMG]

p.s. we'll get a spare Nitrous bottle for you sorted ur gunna need it :lol:

Here's the fully monty controller -

http://www.akamoto.co.uk/nitrous-controller.asp

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

cheers brookster.

Thanks for the pics GVK, some good racing against you too, that run where my gas wouldn't work was a proper fast and furious style one when you pulled ahead from behind. great stuff!

5. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Great result with Nos Paul

Deffo worth running Afr wideband gauge so you can keep an eye on things for fine tuning of gas/petrol ratio, and course to prevent a big bang!

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Nice to see you again Phatty. The furry 'Rado is looking mean and moody ;).

NOS seems very tempting now seeing how your car responded to it. How suitable is it for very high compression setups though? I know Brookie kept the compression down for this very reason.

Gurds

7. GVK

We had a good laugh mate, I enjoyed it :lol:

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

some pics from GTI festival.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seat frames were welded in 2 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

I couldn't be bothered to cut out the old runners so i just welded to them instead.

[​IMG]

Recaro Pro Racer SPG and Simpson 5 point harness.
    [​IMG]

Rear strap location isn't ideal but I fitted them at the dragstrip so I didn't have time to put them anywhere else, it was simply a case of where I could get at the spreader plate and captive nut.

[​IMG]

the Brooksters twisted sanity nitrous controller now fitted. it would appear I am a numpty...I never quite understood the NOS controller, it all makes sense now...apparently the build up time sequence starts again every time you come off the throttle......so i'd got it set on 6 seconds...when I'm only in each gear 3 seconds...which means it only ever deliver half of the full 150bhp shot, apart from the run where i short shifted into 4th and held it, and unsurprisingly that was the run when it felt insanely quick and did the 107mph. so now I know what I'm doing i should be able to set it up better and get some proper results.

I fitted the carbon Subaru Impreza WRC mirrors today. I wasn't so sure about them at first, they look a bit wierd, a bit like a spaniel on a rollercoaster. but I love them now. They need a bot of work to get them to sit flush, I just didn't want to mess about in case I didn't like them or couldn't see out of them and needed to sell them on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I found out when it had no power above 6k too, the old K&N was totally clogged up with filth and dead flies. Binned and replaced with a good old RamAir Pro Ram.
    [​IMG]

Car now has a dashboard. I've fitted my autometer gauges and rev counter too but just ran out of time to get them wired up. I'm part way there, might get them done at the track tomorrow sometime.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off to york dragway in the morning, if it's class racing again I'll stay in class D and leave the gas off. then when that stops and it's just RWYB i'll whack the bottle in for some playtime :-)

Then it's home for tea and a shower and off to curborough for Monday. Never driven the car before other than in a straight line. Tracking and camber all over the place, not a clue where to set the suspension, and a potential 350bhp on tap. Should be interesting to say the least!

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Mint!! Great pics and good to see the VR man back in a VR

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Last time you said something like that and you set FTD didn't you? ;) :lol:

Gurds

11. skoda4x4 Forum Member

whats a FTD ? im guessing he was fast though lol

12. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Looks fantastic.
    I'm guessing a cage is on the cards?

13. POL

pol Forum Member

erm thats green and not got a climbing frame cage. did i miss something?

14. GVK

This is not the Corrado with a cage in...

15. stuartstaples Forum Member

Fastest Time of the Day

I saw this car run at the Spring Festival @ Santa Pod and never put the username together with the car! (Oops)

I am sure that you have either already been told this or already plan to change it, but I have to say that your harness pick up points are a bit dangerous. Just in case you haven't thought about it (or someone else reading this thread hasn't) the straps that go over your shoulder and mount to the car are supposed to be at a less acute angle (See Mr Eyre's picture below)

[​IMG]

Fixing up at a steeper angle than that can lead to some terrible injuries in a severe crash (broken back etc)

Hope you don't mind me chipping in.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  16. fthaimike Forum Addict

^ ^ ^

17. stuartstaples Forum Member

Thanks Mike, I thought I may have missed it :)

18. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

yeah, they will be moved, going to weld a rear strut brace in. Just didn't have time to drop the fuel pump and filter at the track and I'd already removed the seat belts so had to have something in to race.

Had some MAJOR fun at Curborough yesterday. I spent most of the morning attempting to get some sort of suspension setup going on. I was aiming for 3 degrees of camber, as much castor as i could get with the top moiunts and zero toe or a little toe out. Slight problem was it was toeing in like mad and I couldn't get any adjustment on the steering rack at either side, needed a blowtorch and a wire brush, I had neither. So I tried to move the eccentric top mounts to dial it out that way, but ended up just cocking all the castor up. The end result was about 5 degrees of camber one side, loads and loads of awful toe in and a wobbly near side as i couldn't be arsed to take the wheel off again to nip the strut bolts up tight enoguh so it was moving about! you can see in this pic how far the top of the wheel has moved as i turn in. cue understeer....

[​IMG]

And an earlier attempt when it did actually go round better..

[​IMG]

Handling was....interesting...I has absolutely zero grip under braking. Not helped my the hard tyres, the brakes wamred up far quicker than the tyres did. I gave them a dab on the first run and nearly hit the timing gear on the main straight! ABS fuse back in...sod that.

Under power the wheelspin was a joke, was spinning both wheels in 3rd on the one run i did with the nitrous on (before it ran out). I did manage to get one good run into the first turn, resulting in a rather amazing feeling sort of drift all the wy round to the next bend, unfortunately I didn't let the car settle in time for the left hander, and the resulting snap from right to left swung the back end out so I just hit the brakes and stopped dead as I know what happens when you try to ride them out. You run out of talnet and road and once yo're on the grass it's game over...

[​IMG]

SO I think the next job (other than fixing the clocks and getting all the gauges working and the dash tidied up) is to get new bearings in these spare hubs and get a proper geometry set
    up done. It felt like it had masses of lateral grip and turn in bite, it was just getting he speed off into the corner and getting out of it that was the problem. I haven't driven a FWD car in anger for 3 years, and I'd never driven this one round a corner before either, so I didn't have a clue what I was doing! some propper messy laps, but some sections came together well, just all on different laps!

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  19. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

it's also not 4wd or a 3.2 either. I think you missed a lot!

It's another car, I just kept it in the same thread as I'm, testing out parts that will end up on the main car eventually.

20. gillm

gillm ***** User

looks great on the wheels