35mm exhaust valves. From where?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by G60Dub, Aug 11, 2006.

1. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

From what i gather, i do believe so.

It certainly is, all the more reason to find out (for those that want to carry out the conversion) if a "better shape" but smaller exhaust valve in conjunction with a "slightly" bigger inlet that will "both" fit on their respective standard valve seats and give the same sort of power increase but for less cost (i.e machining), in conjunction with the appropriate port work.

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

I can confirm the 35mm exh valves DO work...

My 2L 8v gained 21BHP/18lbs/ft on Stealths RR going from a Pack A to Pack C head with no other mechanical changes:)

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Ahh... thats more like it. Does that mean that the only change is a bigger exhaust valve or was there more to it than that.

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

That was the other point is was trying to raise, the cost issue. If a similar power gain can be had from increasing BOTH the inlet and exhaust "slightly" (0.5-1.0mm) without the expence of changing valve seats surely thats more cost effective.

5. shaft69 Forum Member

Got some bigboy 42mm inlet valves if anyones looking for pb head.

6. JONNY-ROTTEN. Forum Member

did anyone notice the 35mm oettinger valves on the techtonics site, in a different subsection to the rest tho!!!

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Grr,why am I reading this, must not tune the daily driver 8v, must not.....must not tune the daily driver 8v must not tune the daily driver 8v must not tune the daily driver 8v etc etc

So, BVH, 270ish cam will be good mods for a road spec 8v?

If the bottom end ever lets go, i'll whack a mk3 GTI/Seat Ibiza 2 litre block in it.

I've started noticing people buying Ibiza GTIs to convert to VR...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  8. Mike_H Forum Addict

You need a nice man in the shed head for it ;)

Just think of the petrol you'll save pottering round in a nice lazy 2.0... at least one gear higher most of the time I'd think!]

Does anyone know if G+S valves will deal with Joe Public. I bet they'd be a good bit cheaper than the tuning companies...

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If going from a 1800 to 2 litre on an 8v has the effect it does on a valver, I can well believe it.

Bits are cheaper than a valver too in most cases.
    Half the number of valves and cams...:lol: :lol: :lol:

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1.8 to 2.0 on an 8v isnt as dramatic as the 16v unless you do some other mods to go with it, you do get more torque but not so much bhp. Most claim roughly 120ish with a boggo MK2 head.

I can say since my 2.0 conversion the engine isn't masively quicker, but it is noticable. There is defintly alot of room for improvement!