3L VR6 on ITB's ???

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by nezzi21, Aug 24, 2013.

1. nezzi21 Forum Member

Ok guys, since selling my 300zx TT I am looking for a new project. Now I have a VR6 engine sitting about that I was hoping to rebuild, really fancy keeping it n/a but tuning it abit. Came across a couple of videos on youtube and they sound the nuts!!

So what kind of mods we looking at and where for manifold etc. Thinking headwork, cams etc!!

2. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

I don't mean to deflate you but a guy I know did an R32 on TB in a vento and it did not make good power, sounds good though.

You're better off supercharging it.

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Or turbo-ing which is potentially cheaper...

Gareth Spiller's ITB'b Vento (as mentioned above) looks and sounds awesome, but I can't vouch for what power it makes.

[​IMG]

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

5. benthejettaman Forum Member

well for a start of i wouldnt bother with a 12v engine and start of a 24v lump like gareths

6. nezzi21 Forum Member

What power is possible with a 12V, just looking at all the options. Plus a vr on tb's isn't common.

7. nezzi21 Forum Member

Haven't really set a budget, Also unsure of what power and torque is possible with ITB's. Hence this thread, Love the n/a vr6 and love the thought of ITB's on a vr6!! Been talking with my engine guy about balancing the bottom end, re-bore, headwork and some lairy cams.

8. GVK

It isn't a common conversion because it's expensive for the gains possible.

To make the most of it , you're going to need 'more' than the regular 268 cams used in road/track VR6s.

You're going to need to raise the compression (non OE, possibly custom pistons) 12:1 for arguments sake.

Big valve head would be nice too.

For a laugh contact Grant motorsport and ask how much a throttle body kit is, I did enquire once and it was WELL over 2000 I think.

Mappable ECU,anything from Megasquirt/DTA/Omex/Emerald/Autronic/MoTeC/KMS etc etc.

My own VR6 has/had simple mods (268 cams, AMY 10.5:1 head gasket, Carbonio CAI, Unorthodox alloy flywheel, eBay 6 branch, 2.5" 2-box system, United motorsport chip) and put out 205hp-216hp depending on dyno lottery.

9. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Gareth:

"Well the first thing is I wouldn't recommend Grant Motorsport to supply an ITB kit as I am now putting right some hidden nightmares they left me with. The R32 will take 45mm Jenvey housings but you need to knock up a simple manifold to bolt them on. A direct to head fitment like I had on the 2.8 head isn't possible as the ports are larger on the R32. Once the manifold is on the the inlet trumpets will be very close to the radiator, probably touching on a Mk4 setup so it will need a lot of front panel work. The alternator bracket needs cutting and a different belt fitted. Dipstick needs bending and repositioning. You will need a VR6 throttle cable and stand alone management and if you want any half decent power then you need to bin the CAT. If you don't have an understanding MOT guy then throttle bodies are not for you! Its this extra hassle and the costs that puts most people off.

I for one love my new engine being built by a mate up near Croft Race Circuit. The engine sounds awsome and the throttle response is so fast, instant power in any gear when you have a short gear set like mine. It's revs like a motorbike and sounds more like a V8, it's great fun but not for everyone. You should be able to get 300-310bhp from an ITB setup with cams and a good 6 branch manifold which doesn't sound a lot but its the way it delivers the power which helps out perform high powered forced induction cars."

10. GVK

Hence why I said for a laugh, I know Gareth had bad experiences with GM, and all was sorted by ACR (Andrew Outhwaite) up nr Croft.

I seem to remember GM left Gareth's car running on about 2 sensors or something ridiculous.

Echo Barry's (benthejettaman) comment of starting off with a 24v, they flow so much better than a 12v for a start.

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

As said above the 3.2 has a lot bigger inlet ports than the the 24v 2.8 most likely make a better starting point seeing it has over 40 horses more to start with
    cost a bit more though i was 1800 for the one i got
    i had no ecu and a cut loom but if fitting itb's that wouldnt matter plus i got over 750 back selling the gearbox and diff off cheap
    always somebody looking for r32 bits

12. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Ask yourself what you want from the car, it won't be anything new since it's already been done a few times but it still will be relatively unique.

It will be very expensive to do right and as mentioned there isn't much point in anything less than an R32 if you want to get tangible gains.

13. nezzi21 Forum Member

I have toyed with the idea of going down the f/I route, but I loved my old n/a vr so*want to stick to n/a. Also if doing this I would want to use the 2.8 I have here as opposed to buying another engine.

Suppose what I am after is something a bit unique. Something that sounds the nuts, looks the part and in some capacity increases power. I am aware for similar money I could have alot more power with a turbo but then for me its more about driveablity than all out power.

So with that said if you guys where doing it what spec would you aim for on a 2.8 12v??

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

As asked already what are you doing with the car?

Can you do most of the required changes yourself?

15. nezzi21 Forum Member

Car will be mainly road car with the odd track day. Will only be used at weekends and between myself and my mate we will be doing the build ( any machine work will be carried out by his usual machine shop ).

16. Toyotec

There would be real reasons that would necessitate the use of open induction on any engine. If the sound track is one of them then go for it. However as the owner of a MK3 VR6 'all rounder' I would say ITBs and the cost to do so would be my favorite least option, especially as you have the 2.8 24v kicking around for peanuts with the ECU fully calibrate by many who know their way around a ME7 system.

I have tuned my own 12v to 200ps and 212lbft using a combinations of self skills although it took significant thought. It is not on ITBs though or cams.
    ITBs will give you the sound and possibly the same peaks at different rpm on a stock motor. You do have to bin the OE Motrinc for a SEM that can run alpha-N. So cost is still a major factor when you factoring mapping and so on.

For less thought the use of a stock 2.8 24v could result in a 220bhp and 220lbft motor from mapping only.

Just a thought though.

17. Toyotec

Pascal77uk just displayed these beauties for his 12v race build on our facebook group page.

12193649_10153073250946949_3426541443919352_n.jpg

The throttle units are a small slice,made out of billet that sandwich between the VR lower manifold and capped off with the staggered velocity stacks.

12202511_10153073256041949_1716083983_n.jpg

11219512_10153073251051949_7516606031566632930_n.jpg

Available at DG Motorsports.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  18. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Do you have any contact details for BG Motorsport? An internet search reveals a few, but none seem to sell the manifold.

19. Toyotec

Ask pascal77uk as he ordered a set :thumbup:

20. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Not BG Motorsports, DG Motorsports - http://www.dg-motorsport.de/

Dominic has been very helpful, I'm putting together a kit for an R32. :thumbup: