4 cylinder big block weights

Discussion in 'Engines' started by A.N. Other, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Ha ah! You are mixing up a couple of good old Issac's Laws there.

To change direction, one needs external forces. IE. Acceleration or braking. So, lightness is the key.

To go round a corner, you need to maintain momentum. If you brake, or accelerate, around a corner you will change the momentum, and go off backwards or forwards, as front, or rear, grip dictates!

Unless you are Stig Blomqvist!;)

2. danster Forum Addict

Well I am probably just a great driver then. [:$]

Or maybe not. The scienz bit. Possible proof that heavier objects exert more centrifugal force. :thumbup:
    [YOUTUBE]s7q8Z4FMGgU[/YOUTUBE]

3. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Dan. You are obviously a great driver. From all of your trophies, I, for one, believe that this is so.:clap:

You obviously don't need to bother old Issac! Just keep up the good work. Please.:thumbup:

DAD 3/3 [%]

4. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

19.9 kg AXW ( N.A FSI 2.0 ) alloy block 83 mm bore / deck 2 mm skimmed
    So a STD block wil be nearly 21 kg ?
    The block has steel liners cast in

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  5. romaingirardlamamy

romaingirardlamamy Forum Member

God why don't they nickasil the bore
    Isn't it suppose to be stronger and less friction then steel
    Now day most engine are alloy nickasil

6. danster Forum Addict

I need to double check my AKL block as I am pretty sure the bores are nikasil plated.

But saying that, BrianG did cut up a small block 16v engine and they had cast in steel liners.

7. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

IMO the ALT block is also with liners cast in

Only recently found out about the steel liners.
    My believe was that it was an all alloy block, and it looked that way too.
    After buying some wossner pistons, after contacting some people/companies, everyone said : just bore / hone the bloc and drop the piston in, No coating needed !
    Alusil blocs AlSi17Cu4Mg( Audi V8-V10 Blocks) have high Si content that make it work w/o coating, But my bloc is AlSi9Cu2, and made me think something was not right...

searching the net, i found out that these blocs are made by Kolbenschmidt in Neckarsulm, lots info on Alusil...but very few info on ....until i took a magnet to find out

8. romaingirardlamamy

how thick are the liners?
    what the maximum overbore on it ?

9. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

have seen pics were the liners were about 4 mm + outside mantle
    and another that is only 1.5 mm or so also with outside mantle
    83.0mm sure , 83.5 mm most likely and 84.0 mm ?

i must say this engine block will need special attention at assembly to make sure the bores keep round / crank line keeps straight ...as i feel it flex...unless a steel bloc that is rock solid.

10. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im making out the liner material to be centrifugal cast iron. And fitted at time of pour, then bored to finish size.:thumbup:

Block was a 1.4 16v.

BG

11. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

12. romaingirardlamamy

Aren't those alloy small block meant to be scrapped if you take the crank out for those flex reasons?
    Are the big block different than those small block or is there a special tool who will
    More or less kind off spider around the block to hold it in shape?

But I found quite worrying the fact that the block hold straight because of the crank
    How does the block react if the engine get spun much higher than it should
    Or get much more torque

I heard of old ducati engine talking here 916 era
    they had to strut the engine from the outside
    With some steel rods and bracket to hold the engine together as it would flex at high revs

They already were putting those special sump with shorten block seen on the btcc engine
    On an iron or specialty metal blend engine block which can hold it s shape on it s own

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  13. danster Forum Addict

I have heard that the 1.4 16v engines are not meant to have the crank removed for structural reasons! Begs the question, how did they fit it in the first place? [:s]
    The 1.6 16v are apparently ok to remove the crank. All seems a little ludicruous to me.

14. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

15. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

IMO, when the factory assemble an engine it will be mount in some jig / tool.
    all 10 crank bolts are torqued down, all at the same time
    and once the balance shafts/oilpump assy and the sump are mounted , it becomes a rigid block

16. romaingirardlamamy

How woiuld it hold
    On high state of tune engine ?
    Or are those engine just not good for any kind of motorsporr?

17. prof Forum Addict

so the crank girdle must form a significant part of the structure, do they have seperate crank journals or a girdle?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  18. romaingirardlamamy

Same question don't know
    The btcc spec engine have griddle sump some pretty extreme mods

So as I said they are like bic razors

Use them once then bin them no rebuilt possible
    Appart if you want to have a go with 9 other mate to torque all the main studs in one go lol

19. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

This method of girdling also stops cap walk, that is, the caps moving from 90 degrees to the crank axis. This is more important than making the block rigid, bit of course, it goes hand in hand with it. The ladder girdle is the only real way of stopping crank cap walk at higher rpm on the vw block design that we are stuck with. It has only two bolts part cap, and there is not more room to get two more outside them. I have checked, dont worry.

To give you an Idea of a much better cap design I have inserted a picture below, this cap will take high rpm easier, and is less prone to walking off its 90 degree plane to the crank axis.

[​IMG]

And the design issues with our vw block, and cap design/locations/surrounding material,

[​IMG]

There is simply no material there to fit another pair of bolts,

[​IMG]

The actual locating pads to keep the cap in place, that is, 90degrees to crank axis are tiny,

[​IMG]

An exaggerated example of the cap walking off 90 degrees because of the loads transmitted through journal,

[​IMG]

Which directly results in the shells getting pinched, the hydrodynamic oil film collapses and thus you loose the race.

[​IMG]

Even billet caps do not offer any safe guard to cap walk, same pad area,

[​IMG]

An F1 engine below, designed from the ground up, I know we or they did not do that(305hp btcc Audi) in the quest for hp as they had to do with what they had, but, Its important all the same so Ill mention it as cap walk is important if your wanting to go all out.

They use just two cap bolts like we have, but, the block comes up fully around the cap, and has very large pad areas in order to keep the cap where it it supposed to be. Infact, they used a skirt spreader tool/jig in order to fit cap as correctly as possible.

[​IMG]

From the end, notice the relief radius either side where block/cap intersect, no sharp high energy intersection which could lead to failure/cracking.

[​IMG]

Cap fitted,

[​IMG]

Once cap is fitted and torqued they then fitted studs into cap again from either side through the block skirt, these are key in tying the whole assembly together and a very clever idea. This ensured the caps did not walk at high rpm, pinching shells as above in my cutaway pictures.

The stud ends can be seen below, screwed into each cap from the outside,

[​IMG]

Audi had no way of doing this with the vw block, adding material there was not really an option. So instead they shaved off the skirt flush with crank centre, then fitted the cap ladder, which ensured all the caps then stayed parallel at high/endurance rpm.

An aftermarket crank girdle will not stop cap walk as the caps are still independent. But, it does give you another interference point between the girdle, the caps pair of counter-bores and the underside of the bolt heads. Better than nothing I guess, just, but not enough if your going all out as Audi did.

Theres alot of things involved with stabilising the bottom end, simple once you look at them, but take figuring out all the same as to how it all can be done, pending what your dealing with.

Im going to post this in the Btcc thread also as I feel it shares some info others may find interesting.

BG.

Ps, F1 pictures taken from F1 1986: Assembling a Ford Cosworth Formula 1 engine.

20. prof Forum Addict

later rover v8s had the cross bolts IIRC

i suppose you could cast then line bore the girdle=include the caps in it to sort out the vw effort