4 cylinder big block weights

Discussion in 'Engines' started by A.N. Other, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Prof, look at these, I reckon a similiar idea could be made to work with our blocks. Its from a v8. Notice how they cut the skirt thought, I think to mill a flat area inside skirt, and bolt through would be a better idea,(Like Cosworth did above) and keep skirt strong. Ive thought about this idea a few times, its requires no welding, like a 4 bolt conversion would. I could get some caps laser cut, and then finish machine to fit. Its something Id like to put into play sometime soon.

The pictures below show its been done, and looks like a good job, bar slitting the skirt,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think:thumbup:

BG

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. romaingirardlamamy

romaingirardlamamy Forum Member

That s an awesome idea brian
    But how will you seal those cut on the side of the block
    Gasket paste?

I was thinking off some ladder similar shape then sump gasket
    With bespoke cap longer and threaded to tight the ladder on the cap
    So instead of having only the two studs holding the cap on you also have the two extras bolts from the top
    No cut in the block needed just a strong thick steel plate , five bespoke caps , ten extras bolt , ten longer main studs and nuts

Hope I made sense again

3. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

5. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Thanks Chris, i didnt check afterwards..

6. romaingirardlamamy

romaingirardlamamy Forum Member

nice one
    so they did sort the issue off cap movement in the same spirit as brian was talking about
    those new blocks are completly different the baffle sump remind me of the old oettinger sump

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This thread probably wants a sort, but just to put this here:

8. danster Forum Addict

I was only getting that from the original post, and it is nearer 5kg it would seem.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1885963&postcount=1

If I can get clear of all these iron engines I will get that alloy block measured, honest. I have run out of room to strip another engine in the living room! :o

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, I see. The 058 will be less than 4kgs lighter, since post 1 compares tall with the uber light 027 KR flatbacked block. Might even be lighter by a fraction than the 026 DX/EX/EV/PB due to the apertures in it?

Will be good to add more, as & when :)

10. danster Forum Addict

Hmm, now I need to check the crank in this KR, and I have a 2.0 crank out too. [:[] Does I need to get all? [:-B]

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

12. danster Forum Addict

Had few blocks in bits today. Noticed there are a few subtle differences in the castings, and especially around the casting webs supporting the main bearings. The diesel one has far more pronounced webs in the second set of webs down, shown in the pics below. However it does not have the extra meat around the sump flange that the 6A (and ABF not shown) have.
    The no.1 cylinder diesel rod clears the oil pump area of the block as the diesel big ends use smaller headed bolts when compared to the petrol's studs and nuts arrangement.
    The head studs are larger in the diesel block at M12, the petrols use M11.5. Oil cooler jets are also mounted in a different way.

6A 2.0 petrol short block
    [​IMG]

2E 2.0 petrol tall block
    [​IMG]

1Y 1.9 IDI diesel tall block
    [​IMG]

6A 2.0 petrol short block
    [​IMG]

2E 2.0 petrol tall block
    [​IMG]

1Y 1.9 IDI diesel tall block
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  13. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I can see the extra bit of metal, intresting at this is the 90BHP motor, with maxing out at 4.5K rpm

extra webing to deal with torque at very low revs, could the 1Y block be potental for stronger high reving motor build?

14. danster Forum Addict

I think they are used for this purpose.
    Rosten Performance have special M12 ARP head stud kits to allow fitment of various petrol heads onto diesel blocks when building stroker engines. Both 4 and 5 cylinder blocks.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  15. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Nice one Dan, I see the sand core layouts are different too, in that theres a parting line running central to bores either side on skirt internally. Can you confirm this, or is that spray grime thrown off the crank?

16. danster Forum Addict

Just had a look at the diesel block earlier Brian. They are indeed parting lines that run vertically and in line with the big end journals.

The extra lump to the rear of the diesel block at the sump flange, in line with main bearing number 2, is utilised when the block is in the T4 vans and is angled forward, the dip stick goes into the block from the rear. :thumbup: