60-100mph

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Matt82, Oct 15, 2006.

1. PAD

Pad Forum Member

balls. Registered to post up my time (and see if anyone flamed me) and I cant do it till tomorrow. Might try and get it on my phone tomorrow so I can prove it.

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You'd be guessing about right :p

3. dubst16v Forum Member

well i know on this local private bit of road i can hit 105mph so i will test this 60-100 theory but 153 bhp i just cant imagine it takin a mammoth 10 seconds but im prob wrong do u have to stay at 60 for any time or cani just time as it passes it lol

4. jtothez Forum Member

well

my polo, same (maybe tad lighter?) weight as mk2 golf, and has near 140 bhp

does 0-60 in 7, and then 0-100 in 20 dead

the same kind of car, with 330hp, does 0-60 in 4.8 and 0-100 in 11.3

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

as per the original post, it has to be a static 60 and then accelerate to 100. start timing when you accelerate from 60, stop timing when you get to 100

6. PAD

Pad Forum Member

Honestly mate, you will be surprised. I reckon you will be doing well to get 10 secs.... I was pretty surprised myself how long it took when you actually timing it, it only seems like 3-4 seconds!!! :)

Tried for a run this morning again but too much traffic. boo.

7. Mark16v Forum Member

Wonder how 'quick' my 2.0 HDi powered 206 will do it in [:[] :lol: Surely 154 ft\lb of torque must help somehow!

8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I might try a run in my Mk1 1500 auto, see if I can get it under a minute... or indeed get to 100mph at all...! [:$]

You can use 'kick down' to hold 2nd gear 'til about 60mph or so, then into 3rd (top!) :p

Might try my 16v instead, that seems pretty rapid these days.

9. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I had a little go up the A404 at 12ish last night, but I was without me stopwatch.

It is probably the best my car has ever gone (due to the recent service).

I counted about 12 seconds, I'll do it with a stopwatch 2moro night for an accurate reading. (probably more like 14-15 secs). It felt pretty damn quick tbh, but I bet its not.

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Shhh...Don't tell her..< whispers > Just ran an errand in the gf's car, it'll do it in 7.5 secs in 4th gear from 60...;) Over 8 secs if you're in 3rd at 60...

Even though it's knocking approx 300bhp it's a heavy car for a Golf (1477kg) and much much more with me in it! :lol:

Go on pops have a go in the mk2 VR! :p

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  11. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Lol. This thread is really great!!! - and i've decided im going out to time it propperly tonight.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

7.5 from the r32 is very impressive indeed.

i was tempted to try on my way home tonight, this time without gf, but there was too much traffic to even think about trying.

13. PAD

Pad Forum Member

Ok, i can confirm that my Saab did it tonight in 8.2 with a slight incline. I am well chuffed, seeing as the car is worth buttons. Need to wait until half 10 tonight before I can post on EVO, reckon I must be in with a shout for the bang for buck honours!!

Cheers,
    Pad

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well my golf cost about as many buttons as yours and its no where near as fast lol

15. PAD

Pad Forum Member

yeah, kind of suspect that the nearest whif of a bend would see the tables turned though. Missus wasnt overly impressed when I picked her up from work - its her daily driver which I am using while the Golf is in restoration.

'whats that doing there?' pointing to stopwatch pinned to ashtray
    'er, 60-100 run'

silence.....

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

they dont usually "get" these things do they.

my missus timed my run whilst she sat in the passenger seat. when i said "stop", her reply was "that doesnt feel like 100, take it the red line" lol

later that evening she pipes up... "well we know the 60-100, whats the 0-60 then?"

[:D]

17. PAD

Pad Forum Member

fair play! :lol: To be fair, my wife is a semi petrol head - I just dont think she was too impressed with me thrashing the spuds of her car.

18. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Right I've managed a propper timed run on about 10 of petrol before filling up.

roll up to 60 in 3rd - held for 8 seconds on 60
    stopwatch on
    power, power, power, power, gear change, torque roar, much laughing, one hundred, stop clock, one hundered and ten, calm down, slow down, must of been 5 seconds surely.....

Pretty impressed with that to be honest. Not sure if its good or bad in the scheme of things. Amazing how long its actually taken once the clock has been stopped.

Will try a run later in the week using just 4th gear as too much traffic to do it safely coming back.

I've now roughly worked out that 3rd is good to 85 and that 4th goes somewhere over 110 with rpm left to play with. Interesting what you learn on these things.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  19. beetie

beetie Forum Member

my 2 l valver needs setting up still.

but thought i'd have a go and got 11 seconds (counting though, 1 missisippi.... 2 missisippi....etc.)

20. vwd40 Forum Member

Right did my Mk2 tonight on my private test track ;) Only had 1 go at it. 60 in 3rd then had to fookin well change at 92 ish [:x] Will try tomorrow in 4th to see if there's any difference without the gearchange.

I recon it's 7.8s, video proof below.

[​IMG]